Hi from Milwaukee

Themaxx

Reaction score
Hey everybody. :) i've lurked here for a few weeks so figured id introduce myself. Ive never done any of this before but i have done backpacking so i wont have a problem with survival. I just need advice on how I should start. Im sick of the machine and everyone i currently have to deal with. I would leave alot behind. Alot that other people would be forced to deal with. Not sure what i should do about that either. Any advice on all that would be great and destinations and anybody near MKE that wants to hook up and talk b4 i head out wud be awesome. Free meal and maybe a hot shower in it for ya too.

Haystack

Reaction score
First of all, WELCOME! For starters the best thing to do is to get a pack together and get out there. You'll learn more by just going out and figuring things out on your own. What works for one person might not work for another when it comes to traveling. Just make sure you check out the pack guide on here to make sure you don't bring too much or in some cases not enough. https://squattheplanet.com/threads/squat-the-planets-ultimate-gear-guide.26425/

I'm not sure what your situation is, nor do you have to say, but I tend to tell everyone to think about the repercussions that it will have on your friends and family. I won't sit here and try to talk you out of it because that's none of my business, I just want to make sure you think everything through first so you don't regret anything later on. Leaving with a clear head and no regrets always turns out better in the end, and you'll be happier because of it.

As for destinations, everyone seems to head for the west coast. We're heaving a meet up in Slab City this coming October, come thru! https://squattheplanet.com/threads/official-jamboree-information.27048/

• Useful
Reactions: EphemeralStick

Themaxx

Reaction score
Thanks haystack! I'm pretty set on gear. I have a Hi-Tech 55+10 pack, a change of clothes, rain gear, tiny fishing kit, first aid kit, cooking set and campstove I made myself, 3 ways to start a fire, a water bottle, 3 knives, a lifestraw, ultralite hammock and rainfly. Adds up to about 30 pounds. Anything else I should add?

Reactions: Tude

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP! @Haystack has it right in information - plus we are a wealth of info - head to the search engine and look for what you need. Definitely hit up our collection of subforums under the "Resourses" link on the header. And ask away - lots of people traveling atm - have fun and stay safe too!

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Also, what method of travel would y'all recommend for a newb other than just walking lol
Hitching is by far the simplest way to start in my opinion. It's extremely easy to learn and Good for getting your feet wet. Also being a confident hitcher will help you out of you ever find yourself stranded and cut off from other means of transportation later down the road. Best of luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads