Hi everyone | Squat the Planet

Hi everyone

Menika

Reaction score
Hi, I am Linda. Currently couching it at some friends house who are also houseless. :) we have a barrel that is burning wood for heat, and have food. They have a cat and I have a dog. I am 51 and disabled with heart problems. I am considering leaving West Virginia but not sure which way to go....

Menika

Reaction score
Welcome.

Heat, food, roof and friends?

Winning combination.

Might be tough traveling with a dog and a cat though.

Why leave?
They use drugs and I am a square. When they come down they fight which I can't deal with. The cat is theirs... I don't really like cats. Just tolerate them.

K

Kim Chee

Doesn't sound too good.

Great time to plot your escape.

If you come up with a good place to go before you run out of patience you're winning.

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Go to a small town somewhere nearby. Small towns tend to be friendly. Although you should probably make sure they have some kind of big supermarket (like Win-Dixie or Aldi) to get some food more easily. Unless you're not one for dumpster diving. In which case, any small town should be nice. Although where you go really depends on what you're looking to find. I simply think that small towns are nice, rural, and peaceful (usually).

Reactions: Menika

Menika

Reaction score
Go to a small town somewhere nearby. Small towns tend to be friendly. Although you should probably make sure they have some kind of big supermarket (like Win-Dixie or Aldi) to get some food more easily. Unless you're not one for dumpster diving. In which case, any small town should be nice. Although where you go really depends on what you're looking to find. I simply think that small towns are nice, rural, and peaceful (usually).
I'll dumpster dive, just not for food. I'm looking for peace, quiet and solitude. Not interested in being "used" by the addicts. (Problem is i have a kind heart and tend to say yes when I should say NO. I am not looking to get any type of record, either, for giving them rides to get any kind of drug their heart desires).

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
I see. I can understand having a hard time saying "no." I'm having similar problems now. But anyway, given what you said, I'll say this: I want you to do me (and most importantly you) the favor of leaving those druggies and heading to a nice small town. I would really appreciate if you could help me with that. What do you say?

Menika

Reaction score
I see. I can understand having a hard time saying "no." I'm having similar problems now. But anyway, given what you said, I'll say this: I want you to do me (and most importantly you) the favor of leaving those druggies and heading to a nice small town. I would really appreciate if you could help me with that. What do you say?
Sounds like a plan! Sorting through clothing and other assorted items to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.

A

AnOldHope

I won't have enough solar to power two cooling arrays by the summer (and I haven't bought the second trailer/5thWheel/RV yet), but if what you want is solitude, my eventual plan is hosting people in little guest-trailers, each with a little yard around it for people to do or make whatever, and in the center (the trailers will be around the edges of property so you won't be right next to me or other guests) I want to do an art installation Temple for people to gather when and how they choose to.

Downside is that water is hauled, so no long showers (I use a 5 Gallon solar shower), and food is mostly vegetarian survival freeze dry stuff, along with some rice, etc. By next Spring I should be ready for the goats and chickens.

It's also difficult to access, requiring a truck or other high-clearance vehicle, and it will get beat up.

Anyway, whatever happens I hope you find a good place. I don't like being around fighting either. I grew up around too much of it. I think one's home should be like the internet, you can turn it off and close your door, and not have to be in close proximity to people if you don't want to.

Menika

Reaction score
I won't have enough solar to power two cooling arrays by the summer (and I haven't bought the second trailer/5thWheel/RV yet), but if what you want is solitude, my eventual plan is hosting people in little guest-trailers, each with a little yard around it for people to do or make whatever, and in the center (the trailers will be around the edges of property so you won't be right next to me or other guests) I want to do an art installation Temple for people to gather when and how they choose to.

Downside is that water is hauled, so no long showers (I use a 5 Gallon solar shower), and food is mostly vegetarian survival freeze dry stuff, along with some rice, etc. By next Spring I should be ready for the goats and chickens.

It's also difficult to access, requiring a truck or other high-clearance vehicle, and it will get beat up.

Anyway, whatever happens I hope you find a good place. I don't like being around fighting either. I grew up around too much of it. I think one's home should be like the internet, you can turn it off and close your door, and not have to be in close proximity to people if you don't want to.
What you're doing sounds like how I've been living(minus the solar shower and eating vegetarian) . that art temple sounds cool! Maybe when you have it up and running you could post pics? Honestly I'm just tired of people mistaking my kindness for weakness and them wanting to take advantage of me. That's why I want solitude. I have my fur babies, they will keep me company.

Reactions: todd
A

AnOldHope

What you're doing sounds like how I've been living(minus the solar shower and eating vegetarian) . that art temple sounds cool! Maybe when you have it up and running you could post pics? Honestly I'm just tired of people mistaking my kindness for weakness and them wanting to take advantage of me. That's why I want solitude. I have my fur babies, they will keep me company.

The solar is necessary in the summer, it can go months with daily highs over 100 F. It powers a matrix of USB fans giving you cooling.

I'm not really vegetarian, its just that freeze dried usually is. I sometimes get some canned halibut steaks, corned beef hash, those little seasoned pepper steak things.

There has been no groundbreaking on the Temple. The initial idea is a wall to show movies against on one side and art on the other, but the idea of walls is polluted these days, has a bad vibe. I would also like a big polygonal table that is rebuilt everytime someone joins the community to add an additional side, maybe a fire pit in the middle.

Attachments

• Home0001.jpg
    Home0001.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 207

Menika

Reaction score
The solar is necessary in the summer, it can go months with daily highs over 100 F. It powers a matrix of USB fans giving you cooling.

I'm not really vegetarian, its just that freeze dried usually is. I sometimes get some canned halibut steaks, corned beef hash, those little seasoned pepper steak things.

There has been no groundbreaking on the Temple. The initial idea is a wall to show movies against on one side and art on the other, but the idea of walls is polluted these days, has a bad vibe. I would also like a big polygonal table that is rebuilt everytime someone joins the community to add an additional side, maybe a fire pit in the middle.
It sounds absolutely amazing! Having a wall to show movies on would be great. I would be careful of having a fire pit in the middle of the table (if I understood that correctly) because of health issues of community members. Take me as an example: I have heart failure and cough a lot. Any fumes coming my way make my coughing spells 10x worse. Yes, even outside in fresh air. (I haven't been diagnosed, but I am believing I also have asthmatic bronchitis. My symptoms are very similar).

A

AnOldHope

It sounds absolutely amazing! Having a wall to show movies on would be great. I would be careful of having a fire pit in the middle of the table (if I understood that correctly) because of health issues of community members. Take me as an example: I have heart failure and cough a lot. Any fumes coming my way make my coughing spells 10x worse. Yes, even outside in fresh air. (I haven't been diagnosed, but I am believing I also have asthmatic bronchitis. My symptoms are very similar).

This is good to know, I hadn't considered that the smoke would be problematic for some.

I do use fire to prepare food out here (pretty much the only use for fire the county allows on open land in this area), I will incorporate the concern that the smoke will cause breathing issues in some instances.

Maybe time for a wood burning stove with a chimney...

Menika

Reaction score
This is good to know, I hadn't considered that the smoke would be problematic for some.

I do use fire to prepare food out here (pretty much the only use for fire the county allows on open land in this area), I will incorporate the concern that the smoke will cause breathing issues in some instances.

Maybe time for a wood burning stove with a chimney...
You're welcome for the info! Depending on where you are the wood stove can be helpful in staying warm at night. And if you put it into your tent... Just be careful about carbon monoxide building up. Or you can make an alcohol burner. Find an empty metal can, put a roll of toilet paper in it (after removing the cardboard) and douse the tp in 91% rubbing alcohol. Then put a flame to it, and it will heat up where you are. Just need a metal lid to put out the flames when you're warm enough.

A

AnOldHope

You're welcome for the info! Depending on where you are the wood stove can be helpful in staying warm at night. And if you put it into your tent... Just be careful about carbon monoxide building up. Or you can make an alcohol burner. Find an empty metal can, put a roll of toilet paper in it (after removing the cardboard) and douse the tp in 91% rubbing alcohol. Then put a flame to it, and it will heat up where you are. Just need a metal lid to put out the flames when you're warm enough.

That's cool, very MacGuyver

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads