Hi everybody. | Squat the Planet

Hi everybody.

Jarod

Reaction score
Website
www.happybuttz.com
I've been cruising around the west coast trying to save money to buy a live aboard when my car broke down, now I'm stranded in Carlsbad CA. I'm posting here because I'd still like to buy a boat but since I cannot drive to make money anymore I figure I'll try to find someone who could use an extra hand until I can get my own. It'll give me a chance to learn how to sail & pilot a boat instead just diving in like I was going to do.
My question is how does someone with zero experience find a boat that could use a crew in exchange a bed onboard? I am a very fast learner, I absorb information like a sponge.
Is there a site specifically for that? Do I reach out on CL?
I have always did the rv/vanlife/hitchhiking thing can someone point me in a direction to get my sea legs?

VoltarineBaedling

Reaction score
I've been cruising around the west coast trying to save money to buy a live aboard when my car broke down, now I'm stranded in Carlsbad CA. I'm posting here because I'd still like to buy a boat but since I cannot drive to make money anymore I figure I'll try to find someone who could use an extra hand until I can get my own. It'll give me a chance to learn how to sail & pilot a boat instead just diving in like I was going to do.
My question is how does someone with zero experience find a boat that could use a crew in exchange a bed onboard? I am a very fast learner, I absorb information like a sponge.
Is there a site specifically for that? Do I reach out on CL?
I have always did the rv/vanlife/hitchhiking thing can someone point me in a direction to get my sea legs?
Hi there,

I did this, this year. I found tons of opportunity on FindaCrew (you can join make a listing and contact some people for free, once I had a long list it was worth it to me to pay $60 to them to contact everyone freely but ofc up to any individual).

Cruisersforum is a free community kinda site they also have a great crew ads section.

I think those two are the best out there, I had to contact tons of folks but found 4 great spots this year (one was networked in person, friend of the previous captain).

One other good tip I got was hang out at your local marinas and sailing clubs if you are near any. Use what social skills you have to make friends and meet people and be ready to tell them what you're looking for (learn to sail, live aboard). Or just trying to get invited on some day sails so you can get feet wet, demonstrate your "good attitude" and ability to learn, etc.

The no previous sailing experience is not a problem for most people. They care more about whether you can be good to live on a small boat with (low drama, positive, clean ish, follow instructions, can live in a small space and save water, etc).

If I can help you further let me know.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: iamwhatiam and ali

David Jones

Reaction score
Hi there,

I did this, this year. I found tons of opportunity on FindaCrew (you can join make a listing and contact some people for free, once I had a long list it was worth it to me to pay $60 to them to contact everyone freely but ofc up to any individual).

Cruisersforum is a free community kinda site they also have a great crew ads section.

I think those two are the best out there, I had to contact tons of folks but found 4 great spots this year (one was networked in person, friend of the previous captain).

One other good tip I got was hang out at your local marinas and sailing clubs if you are near any. Use what social skills you have to make friends and meet people and be ready to tell them what you're looking for (learn to sail, live aboard). Or just trying to get invited on some day sails so you can get feet wet, demonstrate your "good attitude" and ability to learn, etc.

The no previous sailing experience is not a problem for most people. They care more about whether you can be good to live on a small boat with (low drama, positive, clean ish, follow instructions, can live in a small space and save water, etc).

If I can help you further let me know.
Introducing one laaaate reply to a possibly dead thread. Use crewbay.com its cost a whole lotta nothing to use. Nice and shiny and ya Dont pay for jack, pun intended,;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunedrifter

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads