Hi all

Sen

Reaction score
Hey all,
It's my 2nd day on the forums; been browsing a bit and reading up. I've done a little of this in the past couple years, on basically a "trial basis". I really enjoyed it, but "real life" got in the way. I've also been camping/backpacking/hiking and a general outdoors person since I was a little kid.

I'm sick of the whole "work to pay bills so I can get to work to pay bills" cycle, and hoping there's something better out there. Not so much in the way of a rich, easy lifestyle, but in the sense of getting out there and experincing more and meeting some genuine people. Still contemplating the full-time, 100% move, but it's coming.. :)

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome!
I can tell you (and I'm sure quite a few people on the forums can as well) that once you get out there you will see that this way is Real Life. The whole work just to keep up with the bills life is as fake as a hollywood movie set. It's what people do because they feel like they have to. To get by. When really. Getting by is easier on nothing if you have the right attitude.

You will meet amazing people on the road. You will experience things that will make you smile and say " wow o didn't know life could be this awesome"

I was originally going to simply walk across America. I am now half way across the country and I am not going back to the fake American way. There is too much to see and too many people to help. We are all in this thing called life together. We need to bring a sense of community back into life. It starts with us. Its a revolution that I think when people see that material possessions are ruling theirs lives will take a step back and ask why they live this way.

I have never felt happiness like I have on the road. I hope the same for you :)

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
yeah i agree with joshua, its a little weird on the transition but after a couple weeks you settle into the lifestyle and really begin enjoying provideing for yourself.

Sen

Reaction score
Right on.

Just want to be informed & prepared when I make the jump. Hoping to set out here before fall.. I have a feeling that winter may not be the best time for the learning curve. Also trying to find a destination for the first leg of the trip; beyond that, I have the "it's the journey, not the destination" mentality. For now, anyway.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Yeah. Sleeping outside is where it's at. Just be aware of creepers. One time I was robbed, and was forced to suck dick to support my crack habit. Then again, you cant maintain a healthy drug addiction sleeping inside come on. Oh, and always make sure to look for rigs when you sleep, you can always reuse them.

Sen

Reaction score
What are rigs? And I've also seen the term "CCG"... it's probably obvious, but it's evading me.... Thanks!

dartagnan

Reaction score
How's it goin Sen? first and foremost, best of luck and safe travels!
That being said get ready to push your bullshit filter on. There's a fair amount of it this 'scene'. it's just fun to fuck with each other. If you've ever been to info at a Rainbow Gathering you know all about rumors. I'm pretty sure TheNewKid is pullin your chain a bit here. You will probably never have to suck cock for crack. assuming you don't do hard drugs. Do look out for creepers though and getting robbed is a real possibility. just trust your gut, keep a good head on your shoulders and you should be alright. I've found the majority of people Ive met along the way are really nice and generous. A lot of them will probably think what you're doing is really cool and wish to be in your shoes.
oh and a rig is a syringe (heroin). And CCG means Crew Change Guide.

take her easy...

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
yeah dont reuse rigs hahahah but everything else sofar on this thread seems helpful and acurate

Sen

Reaction score
Right on, I'm used to that (the sarcasm, pranks and such). Never heard that term (rigs), but good to know!

So another question... where can I find more info on the CCG thing? (The forum search says too many results, even with other words) Also checking google..but want to make sure i have the right info.

Sen

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'll take a look.

TheNewKid

Reaction score
You can normally find a copy of a CCG at your local train yard. But that's only at the source. If your gutsy enough, and think you could talk someone into thinking you work for the Railroad, sure. Go to your train yard, and walk inside the tall tower building. Ask for the "Bull". He's the main-man on keeping the "CCG" updated for his yard. These things normally tell you how to ride trains, and what time they come by at.

Or you can send me some money, and I can purchase it for you myself. "I have connections at a local amtrak station". Message me if you need more help.

Sen

Reaction score
Sorry, I feel bad. That was bullshit. Turn up your bullshit meter little buddy...
lol I realized that after I posted.:p But hey, you never know. I've found tons of cool shit like that in our library out here.. but they usually charge for copies ;)

The "Bull" is the guy to ask about tips in the yard, right? I hear he'll usually even give you rides in his pickup truck to the right track? :cool:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads