hey stp

B

buddhalady

my name is buddhalady. I live in the SF East Bay and my dream is to occupy a building and turn it into a center for the disabled to socialize in so we don't feel so isolated and invisible. I have a list of abandoned buildings but no expertise in these things. I am here to find some partners in crime :)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP however I have no creative ideas for you at this time but will keep you in mind - I wish you well.

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Welcome to stp! I'm not sure how it works in SF, but I know in alot of areas you can obtain land/buildings just by paying the back taxes(often only $500-$1000) not sure if that is an option for you, just thought I should throw it out there

B

buddhalady

Welcome to stp! I'm not sure how it works in SF, but I know in alot of areas you can obtain land/buildings just by paying the back taxes(often only $500-$1000) not sure if that is an option for you, just thought I should throw it out there
Hey Billy, thanks! That is helpful to know. I have also thought of turning it into an afterschool center for kids, where teachers can use radical pedagogy to give the kids something they don't get at school. I am ambitious about this project, in other words. I will keep in mind what you said. Thank you my friend!

WeekendWarrior88

Reaction score
LOL I took kung fu and quit. its not as easy as it looks!

I've been learning it self taught because there's no teachers nearby that seem to reflect the beliefs that originated the practices. From my understanding, it comes from Chan Buddhism and Zen Buddhism and also incorporates much of Daoism, I used to be more interested in the religions, but then the convenience of kung fu being an exercise that I can practice anywhere, and it can improve my meditations, I just couldn't pass it up.

Anyways, back to your project, could you describe your vision in more detail? I'd love to see what you've got in mind. I actually have a bit of experience volunteering in something similar, years ago. It was an opportunity for people with disabilities to play sports, and there would be a few volunteers, high school and middle school students, or friends and family. and the community of family and friends that surrounded all of those people that got involved. We would use space like a baseball field at the middle school, a basketball court at the pre school, a soccer stadium at the "sportsplex", there was also golf and cross country skiing. The various sports would alternate by seasons.

The parents of the people with disabilities usually couldn't run around much, so us kids were their little helpers. We would show up for fun and community service, and friendship, but the parents would always make the deal sweeter with snacks, drinks and souvenirs. My job was to make sure everybody had a fun time. I even managed to tie most games without scoring a single point, unless we were playing against somebody, in which case we always won (kinda rigged lol), but it encouraged a lot of people to step up their game, which was really cool.

I think the most difficult sounding part of your plan so far, is occupying a space to create a center. It's a noble idea, but either you're going to need grant money, or establish the center as a for-profit program, with a business plan. However, there's a few options to bypass that. Find a church, school board or some form of community that supports your plan and is willing to help facilitate that. How much time per day, and how many days per week will this function take place? It may start with a small turnout, but that will grow in a matter of months of steady activity (as do most groups of this sort).

So again, could you describe how you envision this organization to operate? I'd love to help you contemplate some ideas, because I love that your initiative is born of compassion, charity, generosity, and loving-kindness, the most wholesome states of mind.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads