Hey! New here. | Squat the Planet

Hey! New here.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I've had quite a few run ins with this forum during my research sessions. Finally decided to stop anonymously leeching up all of the delicious information and come out of the shadows.
I've never traveled before, but fell very deeply out of love with mainstream consumer culture when I was just a little high school baby.
I tried going to junior college because it was the streamlined, "right" thing to do. Some of the classes were really interesting, but whenever I declared a major I started getting cold feet. Was this it? Was I really riding the 9-5 death pony straight to the grave? It didn't seem right.
So I dropped out, started playing around with the idea of traveling/homesteading/selling weed out of a trailer. I didn't have my shit figured out just yet, so I moved into a duplex and started selling my soul for 10 bucks an hour, 40 hours a week. I figured that my mind would be less consumed with academic work, so I could focus more on writing and other such creative pursuits.
Still, I hit an existential dead end.
I have long dreamed of getting the proverbial monkey off of my back and doing what is really in my heart to do. I don't want to die knowing that I never left the sanctioned comfort zone. I'm ready to embrace what's in my heart and have some adventures.
I'm saving up cash from my corporate overlords to get a mini bus or a van while I work out details of survival (food, water, pooping, etc). Next, convert said bus or van. Next, tell the suits to fuck off.
The cash is piling up, too. I just have to survive the brain melting monotony for a few more months to (god forbid) a year, and I oughtta be ready to roll.
Obviously, there's still details to be worked out. I mean, there's a pretty big distinction between a mini bus and a van. But hey, that's part of what this forum is for, right? To share info in order to help with the decision making process.
Cheers!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hell of an intro!!! Bravo!!! Good to see you "come in from the shadow" and glad you are enjoying all the good info here. heh - I sold my soul years ago to the corporate world. Hate it now where I am, used to be good but recently realized what they really think of what I do (lol I actually do my boss's job). Many people I graduated with are early retired. Darn people go out and take multiple birdy or cactus pics and post them on FB. Wish I could go out and take birdy pics all day :D Meh. Sooo sounds like you have a great plan in mind! Do it. And have fun!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Weed and trailers indeed.
Sounds like your decisively moving towards your goal.
I wish you luck.
Welcome to STP.

Sip

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. ^_^ When you quit, make sure you do it in a deliciously hilarious way and share all the gory details. I'm four days from quitting my job. I really want to wait for peak business, throw my hat in the shake machine and walk out. I kind of love my boss though. He has given me like 900 chances when he could of fired me, so I doubt it will happen. :p

Anywho, yes, quit with flair and welcome to the site.

hiveranno

Reaction score
I've had quite a few run ins with this forum during my research sessions. Finally decided to stop anonymously leeching up all of the delicious information and come out of the shadows.
I've never traveled before, but fell very deeply out of love with mainstream consumer culture when I was just a little high school baby.
I tried going to junior college because it was the streamlined, "right" thing to do. Some of the classes were really interesting, but whenever I declared a major I started getting cold feet. Was this it? Was I really riding the 9-5 death pony straight to the grave? It didn't seem right.
So I dropped out, started playing around with the idea of traveling/homesteading/selling weed out of a trailer. I didn't have my shit figured out just yet, so I moved into a duplex and started selling my soul for 10 bucks an hour, 40 hours a week. I figured that my mind would be less consumed with academic work, so I could focus more on writing and other such creative pursuits.
I have long dreamed of getting the proverbial monkey off of my back and doing what is really in my heart to do. I don't want to die knowing that I never left the sanctioned comfort zone. I'm ready to embrace what's in my heart and have some adventures.
I'm saving up cash from my corporate overlords to get a mini bus or a van while I work out details of survival (food, water, pooping, etc). Next, convert said bus or van. Next, tell the suits to fuck off.
The cash is piling up, too. I just have to survive the brain melting monotony for a few more months to (god forbid) a year, and I oughtta be ready to roll.
Obviously, there's still details to be worked out. I mean, there's a pretty big distinction between a mini bus and a van. But hey, that's part of what this forum is for, right? To share info in order to help with the decision making process.
Cheers!
Lived awhile in a Mazda van. Built a raised bed and stored my shit under it. Whole back was pretty much bed n bins. If it gets slightest bit cold, everything gets condensation all over it. The wet destroys everything n the mold hides in mysterious places. A little heater helps but then ur dealing with propane or draining the battery. Deep cycle battery n solar charger might be a route.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Cheers!

Welcome!

Your story is similar to mine.

With age, wanderlust is consuming my every waking minute.

Cheers and good luck with your dream.

Don't wait til your my age, to start.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Nice to meet all of you.
Thanks for the info, haviranno. I like the idea of a van because it would be so much more convenient to transport than a bus, but I feel like a bus would provide me with sturdier shelter and more room for a living space. Still debating the two. I'll keep your advice in mind.
It's funny that you say that, Sip. I was considering coming to work with a bright green mohawk. I mean, I've always lusted for a bright green mohawk, and my work is incrediblly anal about the haircuts that us shitscrubbing janitors choose to sport. They've been making me grown mine out to look more "acceptable".
That's interesting, Andrea. Embrace the wanderlust! Better late than never. I'm definitely glad that I'm getting on this at such a young age, though. I hope to have many years of adventure ahead of me. I hope you do, too.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nice to meet all of you.
Thanks for the info, haviranno. I like the idea of a van because it would be so much more convenient to transport than a bus, but I feel like a bus would provide me with sturdier shelter and more room for a living space. Still debating the two. I'll keep your advice in mind.
It's funny that you say that, Sip. I was considering coming to work with a bright green mohawk. I mean, I've always lusted for a bright green mohawk, and my work is incrediblly anal about the haircuts that us shitscrubbing janitors choose to sport. They've been making me grown mine out to look more "acceptable".
That's interesting, Andrea. Embrace the wanderlust! Better late than never. I'm definitely glad that I'm getting on this at such a young age, though. I hope to have many years of adventure ahead of me. I hope you do, too.
Go with the van, better mpg & easier to move & park, the rest of the world, is your living room, here's mine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433276898.963258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Great intro, welcome aboard! I wish I'd had your fortitude at the time but as you say, better late than never! I like your plan too. The van is definitely easier than the bus, if I could that's probably what I do, though the idea of insurance, had, maintenance etc kind of gives me the shivers. That's just me though! Hell I'd do a station wagon of I could.

Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: ByronMc

Art101

Reaction score
welcome to this land of joyful chaos lol.I have lived in a van for a few.It isn't to bad and they are easy to park and blend into the background well.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I'm loving this website even more now that I'm interacting with all of you. Thanks for the warm welcome and outpouring of knowledgeable advice. It's so inspiring to chat with folks who are really out there rambling the tracks and tracking the rambles. Knowing that I will be able to join in such revelry and mischief someday soon helps me get through my daily slaveshift, haha.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads