HEY LOOK CAPITAL LETTERS, THIS MUST BE IMPORTANT!

absurdtoast

Reaction score
So.....hey.

I'm gonna do one of these long ranting intro things for no reason...but...stereotypical white, lower-middle class suburban kid with naive dreams of being a hobo....which...surveying the actual history of hobo's....this seems to be the background of quite a lot of hobo's...which is fascinating and telling about the experience itself.

From Rhode Island and looking this summer to finally get out and travel..open road is callin, looking for freedom, adventure blahblah insert cliche...I just wanna go where ever...and looking to mainly hitch hike, ride buses (researched the Megabus), hopefully hop trains (but I'm realistic)....and meet people. I want to meet interesting people, meet terrible people, have life experiences, be happy, sad, depressed, alone, scared...I feel like I'm not experiencing things where I'm at....just basically working. So I think by traveling I will be forced out of my comfort zone and have experiences, whether they be terrible sometimes or amazing.

I just finished school, and with 2 degrees I feel the next obvious step is....being homeless....maybe become one of them recreational hobos unless I really do fall in love with the life style. I see this as a way to deal with this real world existential crisis...trying to find out how I wanna spend my life.

I don't really know anyone in this area who wants to come on a hobo adventure so I'm hoping to eventually meet people on here and meet up places and what not. I think my ideal would be people interested in playing music. I play the clawhammer banjo...not well...but...workin on it and I'd love to find 2-3 expereinced or...nonexperieced people lookin to travel and maybe start a jug band (washboard player, washtub bass, kazoo whatever). I love old-timey music, old blues, old folk, jug band stuff, ragtime, funk, jazz, punk...ect ect whatever..doesnt matter but...it would be awesome to travel and just sit on street corners playin music with no where to be.

So that's part of this idea....another piece is I have a weird obsession with philosophy. For some reason I got my degree in philosophy and its what I love...along with anthropology and Id be interested in doing some fieldwork to create an anthropological study of the homeless/hobo/squatter etc culture today and maybe even a comparison to the depression era hobo.....or something because I love hobo history.

It would be awesome to find fellow travelers who share an interest in academic philosophy or...even just to conduct a series of interviews with people I meet about their own thoughts.

This is getting long but whatever. General interests: banjo, philosophy, fruit salad, malt liquor, music, film, art, history, psychology, pizza, blaxpliotation films, politics, anarchism, brain science, stupid stuff, cheez its, hockey, reading, writing, going outside, having adventures, riding the bus, people watching, getting lost, go see bands play, exploring woods, hiking, climbing trees, urban exploring, sitting, thinking, debating, Buddhism, talking about life, having intense conversations, politics, DIY/punk stuff, being politically active, being stupid, talking about nothing, pizza...

SO...if you read all this you win. Hope to be able to meet some awesome people who may even share some interests...I'm thinkin about creating some sort of like wandering hobo jug band philosophers brigade...if anyone is interested.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
there's already all kindsa people doing this, just get out there on the road and you find your crew eventually. im not from RI, but CT. when it gets warmer check out providence or noho, you shoul dbe able to find travelrs there to crew up with. or even nyc. megabus goes to both them places. good luck man.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads