Hey it's Joel from Ontario | Squat the Planet

Hey it's Joel from Ontario

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I use to post on here several years ago but have been off the radar so thought I'd re-introduce myself.

I've always felt sorta stuck between two worlds. A few years ago, I was hitch hiking around and working on organic farms. I was really sick of society and basically wanted to live in the woods somewhere with some other rad people and build some sort of tribe. I strayed away from that because I just couldn't make it happen and it was isolating me and I wasn't doing the best mentally.

I've worked some different jobs now, had my own place, bought a car, went to trade school for carpentry. After having lived on both sides now I feel the freedom and the old ways calling me back again... I just can't fucking face the fakeness of modern living. I just don't believe in it and it's not aligned with how I believe I should live

I'm moving back to Ottawa again soon in an intentional community with some rad people. I've got a gig set up as a carpenters apprentice so I'm gonna do that and focus on getting some building skills. I wanna do the whole travelling thing again, but at the same time I don't want to be straight out homeless because that stresses me out. I've got good connections with the organic farms around Ottawa so I'm hoping to find a farmer who would let me put up a tiny house of their land. From there just focus on living life, travelling, hobbies, relationship and cool stuff.

Eventually I'd like to Branch out into sustainable building. I feel the houses we live in today are just plain stupid, depressing, unhealthy places to live in. Shelter is a primary human need that everyone should have access too.

My vision is small (but not tiny) homes that are affordable, super energy efficient, use minimal concrete and just natural resources like timbers, earth, stone, strawbales, natural plasters etc. These houses would be built around community with shared cooking and chilling areas and built around nature/food production/local craftsmanship etc.

Excited to see what the future holds and looking forward to getting some inspiration and connecting with you folks.

Joel aka Jocko

Drengor

Reaction score
Hey! Welcome (back?) to Ottawa! What's your intentional community like? Got any serious plans for building those houses or are you still in the collecting skills stages? Lemme know if you wanna hang out!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Dam dude - you've done a heck of a lot in the meantime - I mean alot more than I have!! Awesome! Do search our info here though - LOTS more added - and do keep us updated on what you are doing too!! :)

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
Hey! Welcome (back?) to Ottawa! What's your intentional community like? Got any serious plans for building those houses or are you still in the collecting skills stages? Lemme know if you wanna hang out!

The House is called Faith house. A local church owns it and rents out rooms to younger people are are doing environmental work, social justice, community building or anything in between. The church subsidizes the rent so its a cheap place to live right in Sandy hill. They do lots of dumpster diving, participate in political events, host workshops, have a good time.

Dont let the fact that its owned by a church throw you off. it threw me off at first but theirs no religious agenda, welcomes anyone from any relgious or no religion or sexual orientation. its basically an experiment in community. Heres the facebook group.

As for the houses, I've got the skills and most of the tools right now. But limited money so i'm gonna work and save up for the rest of the summer, fall and winter and see if we can make something happen next spring. This is an on going project, also thinking of jsut building a small one for the backyard of the house :)

https://www.facebook.com/FaithHouseOttawa/

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
Dam dude - you've done a heck of a lot in the meantime - I mean alot more than I have!! Awesome! Do search our info here though - LOTS more added - and do keep us updated on what you are doing too!! :)

Thanks Tude :) im finding so much cool stuff on here already. I found this awesome book in the library called days of war nights of love thats really getting me inspired to start doing more things.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads