Hey, I used to skate

August

Reaction score
Hey, I'm August, just thought I'd say hi and tell y'all a bit about myself.
Born in Connecticut, had the unfortunate notion to move to Florida to attend a university. Made it 2 years then skipped out to Colorado to pursue my career as a downhill skateboarder. Skateboarding offered a great way to travel & meet folks, I've skated all over the US, but my fun was sadly cut short when I had a nasty run in with a car. Decided to finish my degree while recovering, so as of now I'm stationed in Wilmington NC, but I'm already itching to travel again. Thought it'd be nice to connect with a like minded community of travelers and transients. Hoping to pick up freight hopping in the future as well. If anyone is near or will be near Wilmington, hit me up.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Sorry about the accident. Have a couple friends in Oregon who snowboard semi pro - both had a bad accident, one quit - the other girl --- why she races downhill mtb now. hehe I don't think she'll ever be without a number pinned to her outer clothing. ;)

Tude

Reaction score
I just watched this killer vid - UCI downhill worldcup 2014. Freaking guy won this race - won last year two ... what makes it so different is that he flatted right in the beginning - rode it anyway till even the tire was falling off. I would have soooo face planted.

August

Reaction score
Holy. Shit. He won that race?? That was incredible, so much respect. I used to watch skate vids alllll day. Just kind of makes me depressed now.
293133_10151054600866720_1756320846_n.jpg

This was me at the first Maryhill she-ride in WA. :)

Reactions: Tude

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
That pic looks near my neck of the woods is this east of Cascades? North of Wenatchee? That's badass that you race skateboards. I just started riding skateboards in skateparks last year since I can't snowboard. This year, somebody gave me a freeboard, it's a skateboard with pivoting wheel in the middle to ride like a snowboard.

I'm taking a break from community college for the summer. I'm planning to head to a music festival here in Washington this weekend, then head to the national rainbow gathering. Nationals should be in either Utah or Nevada. I'm thinking after there, I'm going to roam about anywhere I want. Maybe I'll check out all of the musical mechas and their skateparks around the country, I'll figure it out. I want to learn lots and gain plenty of experience with music, jamming, and skateboarding. I might just drive my car so I can make it to nationals on time. After that, I'll decide if I want to drive or hitchhike the rest of the trip.

What kind of a trip do you want to go on August?

Tude

Reaction score
Holy. Shit. He won that race?? That was incredible, so much respect. I used to watch skate vids alllll day. Just kind of makes me depressed now.
293133_10151054600866720_1756320846_n.jpg

This was me at the first Maryhill she-ride in WA. :)
Dam girl I do downhill mtb and have hit some high speeds on the roadie coming through mountains but you are way more one on one with that pavement than I was on a bicycle!!!! ^^^^555555's!!!!

August

Reaction score
Tude, you downhill mountain bike? Sick! I've always admired people that could do that! I actually worked for a photographer who used to shoot olympic downhill mountain biking, and he met missy giove! So sick. I have to say I was truly happy when I was going downhill.

And Charlie, that photo was taken on maryhill loops road in goldendale Wa. I road tripped up there from LA with a car full of female skaters. Such a blast. I miss it so much.. And as far as trips go, I'm up for anything. I had always loved to travel, and besides the adrenaline, that was one of the things that attracted me to skateboarding.. well that and I was really good and had a future in the sport. Also, If you're looking to check out legendary skateparks, check out Kona in Jacksonville FL. Its magical. I camped out there at an event last summer. Its one of (if not the oldest, I forget) skatepark in the country.
And What really got me interested in this community specifically happened a few weeks ago. I met a freight hopper at a bar and was just completely enthralled by his stories. It got me interested, and I started researching alternative travel, and well, here I am.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome! i love hearing how people came to StP :)

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ahhhh, south of Wenatchee. Right off highway 97 (I knew it, kinda). WOW! I just googled Kona skatepark. That's rad!! I actually would really like to see that! I've been to Florida once as a vagabond. I drove there, my car broke down at Ocala Gathering, and hitchhiking was rough. Car travel would work alright though. oh! this is exciting, I haven't been on a good road trip in years.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads