Hey! I really do wave at deer unironically. | Squat the Planet

Hey! I really do wave at deer unironically.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26446
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26446

Hey StP.

My name is Ethan. I've been stalking this site and r/Vagabond for several years now as a way to vicariously relive my travels. I never actually thought I'd get back into it!

Between a travelling salesman as a dad, an ex-Chair Force grandpa suffering wanderlust, the Marine Corps, and my own travels using naught but my lamborfeeties and the goodwill of others I've been to over half the states in the Continental U.S.--not bragging, just letting y'all know where I'm at in terms of experience/wherewithal.

Some of those trips, namely the hitching after I was discharged from the Corps, were done on absolutely zero cash. I've been a lone traveller for as long as I can recall; Hell, even as a twelve-year-old I was often hiking/hitching to nearby towns out of boredom. One time I even made it to Kentucky (I lived and currently live in Ohio) before I had to beg for a ride back.

I rejoined the rat race (the 4 years of military being the exception) at 25. Had the sexiest girlfriend I've ever hooked up with, decent paying job, such and such. My landlord turned out to be one of those that evict right before your contract is up if you tell him you won't be staying.

Some other shit happened, I gave him the keys, he gave them back and said no, stay, blah blah. Long story short the sheriff knocks on my door and let's me know I've been evicted. I was fucking plastered. Cool beans dude.

As things go, the job stopped, the girl left, etc. Then I finally realized that for the first time in years I felt happy. That actually really worried me, initially.

Thereafter I hit some deep woods and lived off the land (bark, grass, bugs, berries, the flesh of your first-born, you name it I've probably eaten it,) for around six months--long enough to prove to myself that I could do it and also long enough to realize fuck that noise--it was a temperate climate anyway, so ehhh not too difficult. I then settled into the homebum/dumpster-diving/raccoon life after that and God it's been easy mode.

While homeless I made an account on Reddit for the first time (don't judge, I was never big on the internet besides games and some forums before!) Got a job out of sheer boredom. Met a dude named Matt who rolls with some band called Filthy Rags at a bumfeed and that combined with my money starting to stack up and r/Vagabond+StP have reignited my passion for travelling.

As of now, my plans are to try and make it a few more months of work and strike out. I'm finally happy again, but I wanna keep that ball rolling so I'm not trying to travel half a year and work the other half. I want to explore for a couple years solid, something I've not done (my longest stint was around 9 months.) I absolutely love running, so I've been thinking of getting back into shape and travelling the country, smoking people in marathons and donating blood to line my pocket. Both are things I've never done for profit.

I finally decided to join StP because I think it would be a... much different experience belonging to some semblance of a community while travelling as opposed to going entirely solo. Plus I'm not getting any younger, just as well shoot the shit and enjoy the ride.

My profile will let you know whatever else you'd like to know about me. In summary: ex-Marine, current writer (ghost-wrote one book, working on my own series ATM), former paralegal, former hitcher, like to dress in Scream and Smokey Bear costumes when I get bored hitching, love Dungeons and Dragons and have played for 15 years now, green belt in Muay Thai/black in Krav Maga, etc.

I think that covers most of the bases. I'll likely drop by the story hours and contribute some of my own at some point.

Oh, yeah! I've only ever rode a train once and that was as a kid. It was two towns over and my ass bailed haha. But that's something I'm really interested in getting into, so if you see me out there help a brother out or you're gonna see a grainer flash by some day and there'll be some drunk redneck mother fucker rocking out with his cock out and working the propeller motions while ululating anti-Capitalist propaganda (A.K.A. Rise Against.)

Attachments

• IMG_20190725_125555.jpg
    IMG_20190725_125555.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome man.

I clicked on your thread thinking it was going to be about waving at deer.
Ha.

This is definitely the place to hang out if you wanna learn about trains.

Please do share some of your stories from the road when/if you have the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MFB

Reaction score
Sweet Stache!

Is it wierd that when anyone uses ATM for 'at the moment'; I plug in 'ass to mouth'?

Reactions: Barf
D

Deleted member 26446

Sweet Stache!

Is it wierd that when anyone uses ATM for 'at the moment'; I plug in 'ass to mouth'?
Thanks, I grew it myself!

Haha, nah man. Like Jesus said, "Who among even my children, yea, should claim thineself blameless? For none of thee are without blemish: different folks prefer different strokes."

MFB

Reaction score
Jesus and Mr Drummond were both smart doods.

Seriously doe, great intro.

Im a runner as well, (another user by the name Dumbass is a runner too. 😊) anything from 5ks to 100ks. Good to see one, (even if your a road runner 😜) as I rarely meet them in travel culture. Which is odd as running and traveling go hand in hand. Ive got to run in some of the most beautiful places in the world bc of travel!

Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 26446

Jesus and Mr Drummond were both smart doods.

Seriously doe, great intro.

Im a runner as well, (another user by the name Dumbass is a runner too. 😊) anything from 5ks to 100ks. Good to see one, (even if your a road runner 😜) as I rarely meet them in travel culture. Which is odd as running and traveling go hand in hand. Ive got to run in some of the most beautiful places in the world bc of travel!
Oh Hell. Yeah, runners were definitely not something I expected to find here but it's good to know there's more of us! I can understand why there's not more though: after humping 4-8 hours a day I have to force myself to run more often than not.

Now I'm interested. What are the top 5 locales you'd recommend for a run?

Also, Dumbass and yourself can feel free to stay away from any events I go to lol! I don't need any competition and I need to get back in shape.

MFB

Reaction score
I understand the idea of having forcing yourself to run, but ya know you always feel so much better after!

And shoooot! Too many to list! But if your making a list;

Im in CO Springs half the the year, so, anywhere in CO, but most notably,
Any SW section of the CO trail, south san juan or wienemuche wildernesses.
4 pass loop.

All the slick rock and caynon areas east of Moab are amazing.

All along the Daulton hwy in AK. Pristine wilderness. There's a vid I posted in the latest Alaska thread where I run up and down Mnt Marathon in Seward. Gotta do it! But tons of stuff w a bit of reasearch.

Running up and down and around volcanos in Central America was otherwordly. I got to run up and peer into a lava filled Volcan Masaya in Nicaruaga.

Getting long, but the thick aired, moist and verdant forests of the cascades are quite salubrious. The overland trail around rainier.

I havent done the Superior trail in MN, but thats tops on the list currently.

I could go on and on and on!

D

Deleted member 26446

Oof, yeah you do feel so much better for sure. You know how it is: wake up lazy and procrastinate your run even though you know you'll feel a million times better afterwards. At least that's what I do.

I'll have to check out east of Moab, sounds somewhat challenging. Volcanoes sound badass too, honestly not something I've thought about running. Screw Alaska though lol. My skinny ass is much better off without the cold.

Thanks for the suggestions!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads