Hey guys. | Squat the Planet

Hey guys.

sxtxnxc

Reaction score
What's going on? My name's Chris.

I stumbled across this site years ago when I was planning to hitchhike to California from Colorado. I'm originally from Texas, which is where I am currently (And where I've been stuck since 2016.) I was living in the mountains of Colorado for a year and a half when my grandmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I decided to drive home and be with her while she passed before I left for California. However I made the mistake of carrying drugs with me. A quarter pound of weed and two tabs of acid. I got arrested the morning that I arrived in Texas. I've been on probation since November of 2017. There were several time where I considered absconding, and living on the lam. I decided against that, seeing how if I were ever caught, it would be straight to Texas state jail for me. It's been a long five years since I got busted, but my probation is over in November. Over the years I've gone through many jobs and living situations. I've been homeless twice and when I did have a place to live, I barely scraped by. But honestly, it hasn't been all that bad. Staying sober and living with the anxiety that comes with being tied up in the legal system has been the hardest part. I know that I actually got lucky. Carrying drugs across state lines is considered a federal crime. And I could have been hit with other charges besides possession. And probation, though likely wasn't a guarantee. Prison would have definitely been worse, but god damn it's been rough.

Needless to say, until recently I'd been so wrapped up in the stress of work, bills, fees, community service, and drugs classes that I'd forgotten all about my plans to start traveling. But now that it's almost over, I'm feeling...uplifted. I'm planning on leaving Texas in December. I'm not sure where I want to go, but I know that I do WANT to go.

Anyway, I'm sure there are tons of posts on here about people with plans, but I thought I'd just say what's up and give a little background information about myself. This is such a cool community and everyone seems so helpful. I hope you are all doing well.

Ed Meyer

Reaction score
You've been here for a while, but WELCOME anyway...I myself just got back from a trip to the Minnesota Canada border...Just spent my weeks vacation hiking and camping solo...N-E way Glad you find the company here friendly. If I am ever asked a question concerning survival, or bushcraft I will always answer honestly and openly I I do not know the answer, then I'll talk to those who do and relay their solutions. I had my run-in with the law over 30 years ago...cost me almost 7 years of my life...Without that "run-in" I am certain that I'd be dead by now...Sometimes those lock ups are a blessing in disguise.

Raleslicr

Reaction score
Without that "run-in" I am certain that I'd be dead by now...Sometimes those lock ups are a blessing in disguise.
I completely agree, sometimes it slows you down to think. Im not saying all lock ups are valid and ik you arent either but you get time to reflect. Hardest part of papers is the anxiety.

5 years some weed and acid is actually fucked though. No offense, Im sure Texas is nice, but some of the laws their makes me wanna set fire to the capital.

Your Grandma had a good life, i know that because she that seed of good will in her kin. I hope she had a peaceful passing. Im glad youre almost done with probation. I hope you make it where you wanna go. Still thinking California?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads