Hey, guys. Reject Here. | Squat the Planet

Hey, guys. Reject Here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27861
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27861

Hey, guys. Societal reject here.

I've been considering, contemplating, tickling the idea of, and constantly saying "I'm gonna do it!" about becoming a vagabond for quite a while now, and it is time that I do it.

I don't really know what else to say or where to go or what to do. I don't like talking about my problems, but I need to learn how to be independent and am leaving my father's house as soon as I get money from school. I kind of want to leave tomorrow.

Getting out of West Tennessee right now is going to be a bitch with just a bicycle, though. Where I live is complete isolation, and the closest Greyhound is a two-hour bicycle trek away, which I guess I will and should get used to.

It just sucks that every day is either wet, freezing cold, or wet and freezing cold. And if there's a warm day and it's not raining, the rain is probably right behind it. Sounds like perfect conditions to freeze to death in.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want any trouble, I'll mostly just be lurking and using the library. My main goal for travelling is to find some intentional community or some commune where I can hopefully do some sort of good with my welding skills, or just by offering physical labor.

If you have any questions about me, just ask.

superphoenix

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to gather some money and then pick a place to go. If you don't like the freeze or the rain, maybe scrounge up enough to reach TX, CA, or some Southwest states by Greyhound (sometimes they require you to take your bike apart before letting you on with it. Idk the deal in Tennessee). If you can keep your bike and a strong lock around with you, absolutely do. It makes travel so much easier.

I've run into people who stay at a hostel for a few nights, later ask the hosts if they need help, and end up working there. Good way to make money while meeting travelers from all over the world, as well as being in a new city.

Welding and physical labor are always in demand somewhere and are excellent skills to have. Ask around to find where those communities are wherever you end up. You'd be surpised how much you learn just by asking!

I've heard a friend tell me he flies a sign outside of Home Depot that says "Day Work" and can get $100/day doing things like laying concrete.

Good luck!

Reaction score
There's a cool place to go if you can get to it in Farmington Missouri. It's called astral valley. They will house you, feed you, and get you fucked up if you do a few hours of work a day on the property. Dude getting out of any place with a bike is a pain in the ass. Grab a pack, tarp, sleeping bag and some decent boots. Hit the road with a sign and you'll have better luck getting out than pedaling out.....plus it will chaff the fuck out of your ass. Good luck man. In 2017 I had a pack and some shit with a dollar in my pocket. I just started walking from Central Kentucky and ended up in California less than a month later with 20$ and some good friends.dont over think it and just go for it. See you out there man.

obey no one

Reaction score
Website
lostnw.podbean.com
preparation and proper gear is everything. when i started this i walked out into the woods near portland with just a pack and a bike. I lived like that and worked every day till i could get a van. If you have no experience, i would suggest doing some test runs. short trips to test your gear and build your skills. i spent a couple of weekends in my camp spot before i made the jump and moved out of my rented room. did it to get away from family too. it rains plenty in portland and i stayed in the woods until right before it started to snow. full rain suit is a must. jacket and pants, water proof boots, small tent, best sleeping bag you can afford. I also like some kind of air mattress. compresses down and a good nights sleep makes a world of difference. most of the difficulty is not anything physical, its mental, fear of the unknown, fear of stepping out into something everyone else would think is crazy. but you just have to force yourself to do it, its really not that bad at all if you do it right. save money, work every chance you get. stay hidden or invisible when camping, in general its a good idea not to be noticed.

good luck

DooDoo the Voodoo Shaman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I’m heading west at the end of the month... I’m new to the lifestyle... I’ve lived in a car before but I know this is gonna be worlds different... Anyways I’m starting southern Cali (San Diego) and try my best to make it to Seattle from there idk... Idk what I’m tryna say I guess once I make it west U got a friend... again I’m new to the road but I’m always willing to look out for another human cuz I’m human...

D

Deleted member 27861

To everyone here, thank you for your replies and the warm welcome! Sorry for the late response.

The school money is not coming along at all. Honestly at this rate, by the time they actually give it to me, the school semester's already going to be over. Assuming they actually give it to me. If I was going on campus full-time I'd be SOL.

The way I see it, I have four options:

1. Stay at home for another 2-8 weeks and just patiently wait and pray that I still get financial aid.
  2. Give in, and work a temp job for 2-4 weeks just long enough to get enough money for some basic camping gear, some boots, maybe a bus ticket, and maybe a Surface Go.
  3. Find some way to keep myself from going stir-crazy at home until the Summer when I SHOULD, ABSOLUTELY either have financial aid or have warm-enough weather to hitchhike in.
  4. Say "fuck it", and just hitchhike out of Tennessee either towards Farmington, KY to get to Astral Valley, or go South or West, and try to make my way to warmer weather, and decide what to do next from there.
I'm considering taking Kentucky Walker's advice of not overthinking it, and just hitchhiking out with what I've already got, instead of cycling. Tennessee doesn't seem to be a very cyclist-friendly state, to me from where I am. Every road either has thin strips of gravel beside deep trenches for, "shoulders", or it's illegal on the interstate or something, I think. At least with hitchhiking I can get more rides without carrying a bicycle in tow, and I don't have to worry about dive-bombing into trenches filled with roadkill and beer bottles.

@DooDoo the Voodoo Shaman why do you look like me? lol. I don't think I'm headed to Seattle for now with that whole coronavirus thing going on there, but you take care of yourself, maybe I'll see you sometime.

@nivoldoog All I have in terms of equipment is a big, cotton-insulated denim coat or a red cotton-lined water-resistant coat, two pair of blue jeans, three decent pairs of underwear, several socks, a set of thermal underclothes, my glasses, and that's about it in terms of clothes that I wear regularly.

I don't really have any camping gear unless my father lets me borrow a tarp or something. I DO have an Osprey pack, but nothing to keep it dry with.

I have a bicycle with a tiny saddle bag under the seat, but am considering taking Kentucky Walker's advice and leaving it.

Personal care: I've got a toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, and a little shampoo.

Shoes, I've got five pairs but I only intend to take two pairs at most:

• One is a pair of leather dress boots that are slightly too big and have poor traction but are very water resistant.

• A pair of black leather loafers that I can put gel pads in but don't seem suited for hiking.

• A pair of hard-leather slip-on ankle-high Merrell's that have great traction in mud, are completely water-proof, but kind of hurt my left foot at times.

• A pair of Nike trainers that are super comfortable but with little water resistance and little traction

• A pair of old torn-up ankle-high Merrell's Kangaroos that have absolutely ZERO water resistance, but are comfortable and have godly traction in mud.
I have a light, kind of slim laptop (that I was hoping to replace with a Surface Go before leaving) and a smartphone for tech.

I've got some warm hats.

As for what I need?...I don't really know. A bus ticket to Farmington, Kentucky or some place as far South from Tennessee as possible, lol.

Some uplifting music that makes me glad to be alive in the world would be nice. Other than that, I was going to read some guides on here and learn from them what I might be able to get away with not having.

Reaction score
Farmington Missouri brother and honestly I think you see that the road provides you with what you need. Someone sees you walking in the rain, you will get a ride and probably a Rian jack. You walk in the heat you'll probably get a ride and some water. I've even had people give me a hat lunch with a ride..I have given my pack away and started with nothing but with what I was wearing.....and my the end of the month I had everything I needed for Free! Check you later I'm hitchhiking to lake Havasu AZ! 🤘🏻😈

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads