Hey from Aus

Ontoanar

Reaction score
So much content, so chuffed this sort of community exists!

Only stumbled upon StP today and I wish I'd thought about searching for something like this a long time ago. It's nice to see on the other intro's that there are newbies like me on here as well. It wasn't until a couple of months ago when I visited an anarchist bookclub in Melbourne talking to some of the people there that I'd seriously thought about the idea of squatting. Not sure why I'd never thought of doing it before. Really keen to find and ask about some info and tips about places to go to in Australia over the next 6 months. I'm based in Canberra at the moment but would be great to chat to anyone who is or has been around nearby (or sort of nearby anyway) recently about their experiences. Might be going abroad around halfway through next year so it's a big motivation to gain some experience now while I'm still in Aus.

Anyway, good to be here. Nice to meet you.

Reactions: wizehop

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Never been (i have plans of going this september though) but I heard squatting is going strong in Melbourne in the last couple years!! Worth checking out!

Anyway! Welcome to StP! Always great to have new members from overseas!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Hey, welcome!! You've come to the right place!

I'm from the US and have been squatting in Melbs for the past 4 months or so:)

So you're thinking of doing some traveling around Australia too? Plans to hitchhike or have you got a car?

Feel free to hit me up!

Also the Melbourne squatting guide has heaps of great info: http://melbournecio.org/?page_id=15

Ontoanar

Reaction score
Never been (i have plans of going this september though) but I heard squatting is going strong in Melbourne in the last couple years!! Worth checking out!

Anyway! Welcome to StP! Always great to have new members from overseas!

Thanks, appreciate it! Hope your plans work out for coming over. It's great to hear how strong Melbourne is going, definitely will check it out!

Ontoanar

Reaction score
Hey, welcome!! You've come to the right place!

I'm from the US and have been squatting in Melbs for the past 4 months or so:)

So you're thinking of doing some traveling around Australia too? Plans to hitchhike or have you got a car?

Feel free to hit me up!

Also the Melbourne squatting guide has heaps of great info: http://melbournecio.org/?page_id=15

Hey, thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet you!

Yesterday I read your post about your travels around Melbs and other places, found it very helpful! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your journey by the sounds of it :)

Yeah I've got some time to travel over the next month or so and I'm not sure whether to start somewhere closer like Syd or go a bit further to Melbs or somewhere else. I haven't hitched before so I'm keen to check out some advice about that but I think to begin with I'll use my car to travel around to make it a bit easier.

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that! Thinking I'll start travelling sometime after next week.

So you have plans to start travelling again soon? Have you heard of anywhere else that might be worth checking out?

Koala

Reaction score
Website
Oh yeah I've been absolutely loving Straya! Yeah I'll be hitting the road again this weekend, hitching out with a friend. We plan to hit up a bunch of beaches in NSW and Queensland and really have a nice summer holiday for a month or so.

Hitching in Australia is overall really easy and fast and people are real nice. Check out hitchwiki.com if you haven't yet! Car travel is nice because then you can use that as a place to sleep, as long as you park in a good spot, hah. I personally love the freedom of just being a human and a backpack and being able to go really anywhere!

As for places to check out, you mean like cool places to visit or are you looking for somewhere to settle down? Cause I'd reccommend Melbourne for settling down/squatting in a heartbeat but I may just be a bit biased! :p

Where are you thinking of traveling first? Also curious what book club you went to in Melbs...was it the anarchist book fair?

Ontoanar

Reaction score
Oh yeah I've been absolutely loving Straya! Yeah I'll be hitting the road again this weekend, hitching out with a friend. We plan to hit up a bunch of beaches in NSW and Queensland and really have a nice summer holiday for a month or so.

Hitching in Australia is overall really easy and fast and people are real nice. Check out hitchwiki.com if you haven't yet! Car travel is nice because then you can use that as a place to sleep, as long as you park in a good spot, hah. I personally love the freedom of just being a human and a backpack and being able to go really anywhere!

As for places to check out, you mean like cool places to visit or are you looking for somewhere to settle down? Cause I'd reccommend Melbourne for settling down/squatting in a heartbeat but I may just be a bit biased! :p

Where are you thinking of traveling first? Also curious what book club you went to in Melbs...was it the anarchist book fair?

That's really nice, solid decision about checking out the beaches in that area there are really terrific beaches all up the coast. Especially with the heat as well, being near a body of water is almost a must!

For me, one of the most attractive parts of travelling is the opportunity to meet people and it sounds like hitching is a great way to do that. And yeah also that extra freedom of mobility too hey. Definitely will check out hitchwiki.com thanks!

Haha, great! Will put Melbourne on the top of the list :D I've been to Melbourne CBD a couple of times but I'm not really familiar with the suburbs. Are there any in particular you'd recommend to explore?

Actually the bookclub was the Melbourne Anarchist Club in Brunswick http://mac.anarchobase.com/contact/. Unfortunately it's open only on Sundays between 12-5pm but I'd definitely recommend a visit. Very welcoming people and the archive of old zines is really fascinating. Zines from all over the place like Spain and Italy and, of course, Australia.

Koala

Reaction score
Website
Hey! Been on the road about a week now, in Sydney at the moment. The beaches have been fantastic!! There is a blue bottle plague right now tho so just gotta look out for jellies and get used to the itchy sting, which isn't really THAT bad

And fuck yeah, hitching is a super rad way to meet people and talk to all different sorts of people who you'd probably never meet otherwise. I've had more than a few people keep in touch with me, and then have been invited to BBQs or invited to stay the night!

HitchWiki is rad, and the info on Australia is quite well done. I'll have to add some info based on my experiences!

Oh yeah! I've heard of the Book Club but have never been! Will definitely check it out when I'm back in Melbs.

Footscray is my favorite suburb of Melbs, there's a temple with a giant Buddha statue between South kensington and Footscray station, there's a train yard to explore and climb around on old abandoned trains in Tottenham, there's always cool people to talk to at Lentil As Anything (pay as you feel vegan restaurant), and chill people at Food Not Bombs sharing Monday nights...I've done a bit of urban exploration too, if you're into that I can recommend some places...outside of Flinders Street Station at night on the weekends is my favorite place to watch people...there's heaps of BYOB cheap dumpling places in Chinatown in the CBD where you can go get shit faced and eat delicious greasy dumplings. Ahaha that's what I've got for now, if you're into anything specific I can try to make more reccomendations!

Have you started traveling yet?

• Sad
Reactions: WanderLost Radical

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads