Hey, folks!

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
I'm really not the best with intros, which is probably why I've held off for the numerous years that I've been lurking. To be specific, since probably '08. Despite never posting, I've picked up so much useful information in that time that's helped keep me going, so thanks ya'll!

Started living on the streets in '07 when I was 16 years old. Been house-less on and off since then, though I'm currently housed up in Jax, FL. Had a really kind offer from some fellow vegans so I jumped at it. Before this, I was squatting a bando and sleeping in bushes for months down in Hollywood (FL). Pretty much just being a homebum, working on and off whenever I'd get called in by someone. Sometimes cutting trees, sometimes food service, whatever was available to keep me fed and shit. Kinda sucks that I can't find work up here while folks down there still call me for work

Considering hitching back down to see family and friends sometime around late December/ early January. Though I've never gone that far (~350 miles?) HHing. And my uncle, whom I've yet to meet, hops freight but is currently in Alaska so that ain't gonna help lol Think he may have a profile on here [EDIT: @Hobo Shoestring), ] holler at me! Last I knew, he was with RxR Ron, who I've seen on here a lot through my years of lurking.
Alright, I'm ranting. Probably why I've never posted; this ADHD plus coffee has me all over the place mentally haha

I'll probably post in the meet-up section before I trek down south, but if not and someone plans on going around then, feel free to hit me up!
And say hi regardless!
Thanks again for everyone that's posted useful shit over the years I've lurked, and thanks for having such a great site, Matt.
✌️

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey - Mark is your Uncle?? Very cool! One of the movies, etc we watched out a the Slabs for our 2nd annual Jamboree was a documentary called "Travelers" - and he was featured in it. I don't see him on here, but he's all over facebook (Mark Nichols). He is in Alaska - with a guy who is on here occasionally - Railroadron - Ron Woods on facebook. They just spent time with friends in a Yurt that looked pretty cool. You should contact him :) I'll let him know you're here. Oh and welcome to STP!

<edit> he just answered me back - you are Johnney's son :)

Last edited:
Reactions: VeganBrianFL

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
Yup! He's my fathers brother; I'm also a Nichols lol Funny, I haven't seen my dad since I was 2 but we keep in touch. Told me about Mark and mentioned his nickname. I was like "No way!" cause I'd seen his blog about riding years before. I've got him on FB but haven't personally been on in like a month; nothing but people gossiping and election bs.
Is that doc online? I'd love to watch it. Kinda binged on his videos and pics. Has some great info and the images, especially up in Alaska, are gorgeous!

Tude

Reaction score
He said to let you know this.

Nice I'll resign up later today (stp). Please let him know that I think he will really enjoy STP..... I will rejoin again in a few hours. Thanks

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
Too broke to purchase at the moment but I'll have to as soon as I can get $ and put it on a prepaid. Thanks!
And also thank you for passing on the word from Mark. Little does he know that I've lurked this site for damn near a decade and specifically asked my father if Mark was on stp when he first mentioned him to me
So yeah, already been in love with the site lol

Tude

Reaction score
ha - I get around .... hehe no - I've been on a couple of facebook threads where he's posted on as well. And Mark is still on here - he probably forgot his password. I'll send him instructions on how to get a new password cause He CANNOT go by any other name other than Hobo Shoestring :) His tags are all over the place - there's always someone on facebook posting one of his tags from the inside of a rail car from some year :)

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
I agree, it'd be straight up blasphemy if he went by anything other than that!
Do you have, or can you dig up, any photos of his tags? I'd love to see 'em. Hell, just seeing him open that boxcar up in the trailer for the film, climbing between cars, and the pic of him chillin' in a grassland was pretty sick; would love to see more from like-minded kin that I've never met lol

Tude

Reaction score
These traveled with me to the Jamboree - so he "kinda" was there too. He is rather proud of that documentary :)

shoe1.jpg

At Jamboree - next to poster where I brought markers and people posted on it.

20161023_140730.jpg

• Sad

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
More proof that my uncle is a fucking legend hahaha
Hopefully I'll get to meet him soon in my travels; not trying to go to Alaska during winter as a born and raised South Floridian :(
Hurry up and find WiFi and get your password back, Uncle Mark!!

Thanks, Tude; you're helping me learn more about my own damn blood, the DNA that courses through me, than most people have :)

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
For real, dumpsters are where it's at! I usually find either vegan baked goods or boxed shit but being in a new area, I haven't found the good dumpsters yet.
Regardless, the non-veg stuff can usually be returned right to the store for credit/ gift card; then I load up on the carbs and booze! Helps to look "normal" for that which even when I was squatting or crashing outside on cardboard was pretty easy; just gotta pop out the quarter inch septum ring and es todo bueno!

C

Chris Watson

You put "vegan" right in your username just like every sanctimonious millennial. It's gonna be fun seeing what six months on the road does to you. I'll be sitting here eating popcorn... with butter.

• Haha
Reactions: todd

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, but let me break it down; my nickname is Vegan. People used to call me Vegan Brian because I know tons of Brian's and Ryan's, sometimes chilling with 5-6 at one time. It was easier to distinguish and turned into just "Vegan" for simplicity I guess. Hence why it's in my handle here.
I've been Vegan since 15 and have spent half of the time since on the streets. Traveling or just homeless, there's no reason I can't keep my ethical values. Hell, especially now with so many cheap, easy to attain, and easy to cook on a hobo stove or beer can stove vegan options. Never met a vegan traveller? Seems to be quite a few.
Not trying to start or end shit, just trying to give my point. Seems like a bit of ageism mixed with dislike for veg*ans. 10 years strong, homeless for half the time, not changing my ways.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads