Herbal Medicine | Squat the Planet

Herbal Medicine

hobopoe

Reaction score
Website
punkypoe.tumblr.com
Does anyone carry herbs or herbal medicine or something like that? I only ask because I do such, but would like to know if anyone has further additions.

I keep a head of garlic with me in my pack, along with some catnip and valerian root. I eat the raw garlic fairly often, or twice daily when sick. I started doing so when I learned of all the benefits of it (boosts immune system, kills parasites, lowers blood pressure when ingested often and long enough,and a small list of effects I do not have on hand). The catnip for some people, when steeped in boiled water can act as a sleep time tea, in case I am having trouble sleeping. Valerian acts as a muscle relaxer, so can substitute for a few smaller pain killers.

linno

Reaction score
This is crazy I was seriously thinking about writing a similar post last night. I'm obsessed with garlic and have figured it would be easy to travel with whole bulbs. Was wondering how to travel with Braggs raw AVC. ..that's a daily must for me but I have been thinking I will up my garlic and add lemons (like ask for a lot of wedges on the side with a glass of water where I eat.... or grab an occasional lemon somewhere...) was also considering spirulina just cuz I have it right now (beginning my travels this sat....) was also considering bringing sprout seeds and a jar and grow sprouts for eating on the go... sorry these are not herbs but similar.... also thinking small piece of ginger root and some dried cayenne peppers...but for me GARLIC IS A MUST! great post ::))))

Reactions: Odin

linno

Reaction score
I've cut using melatonin for sleep this month and switched to breathing exercises for sleep just cuz it leaves me groggy and I'd like to be fully aware should I need to wake up suddenly.... otherwise taken some green flower herbs haha
might grab a little kratom for days with achey body.... most likely not...

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
GARLIC! >.> I believe wooo waaa wooo waaaa.. ::alien::
I got some garlic today for the first time in a long time. :)
Along with assortment of veggies. ::woot::
(Gonna try go back to better nutrition... even though I have no green flower herb...::cigar:: :( oh le sigh... le sigh... ...
(green flowers usually encourage my veggie eats... )::lurking::
To tired to tday... Tomorrow. Monster salad. (even got some spices and oil to make my own dressing.)
Haha... ::hungry::
HOpeing this will help me get more mental clarity as well. I need to get in gear... I say, I say, I say::eek:ldman::.
Krumpkins and Balderdash.::pompus::
Wooo hooo. ::joyful::

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also I used Valerian root capsules once when really stressed and insomniac... worked real good for a while kinda...
Then stopped working.
Green flower power > Vroot.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry some essential oils too....tea tree oil (also eucalyptus, rosemary, etc) is good for anti-bugs like ticks, lice, etc. and as an antiseptic.
Even tho its kind of heavy, sometimes I like to carry a little bit of coconut oil. Not only is it good for cooking, but is great for a number of things...one of which is "oil pulling" that is used in ayurvedic medicine. google it.
Also - speaking of garlic...one thing I discovered is that if you ever have an abscess and want to help draw all the gunk/puss out of it, one thing you can do is to crush up a clove of garlic and use that as a poultice on it. I wouldn't keep it on longer than around 15 minutes because the garlic is a little caustic, and will burn your skin. just take it off after 15 minutes and rinse skin. repeat a few times throughout the day with a fresh clove. I did this with an old abscess that had healed over but I could still see a bunch of black gunk inside. within 2 or 3 days the crushed garlic expelled all that shit and brought all the gunk/puss to the surface....pretty cool to watch happen

linno

Reaction score
Coconut oil is another I was debating also but I agree it's heavy and so I am Co sidering bringing a small amount in plastic container maybe....I used it all summer for sunscreen and lotion....went to a festival in September and forgot it and got burned right away! It works great for me and I've used it for pulling as well! Rarely use it for cooking anymore. I have 4 pounds at home right now (a 3 lb unopened giant jar and a pound left in one of the same....) will be sad to leave it behind but can surely find a home for it! Also plan on taking tea tree I use it for deodorant with a Thai stone thing... and spray my clothes so they don't stink between washes and also as bugspray..... YES!

linno

Reaction score
Coconut oil is also good fuel high nutrition for people moving around a lot....which by definition that's kind of us. Not too hard to swallow a spoonful and get a little energy on the go

hobopoe

Reaction score
Website
punkypoe.tumblr.com
coconut oil is also good for a very light sunscreen.
Odin, did the capsules ever work for sore muscles or other pain?

Hah,Pig, that is pretty good.

linno

Reaction score
Coconut oil in combination with other healthy practices like drinking a shit ton of water and eating living foods and limited chemical use on the body...... Works better than light. I hooped outdoors all summer for like 5 hours a day in the peek of the suns hot hours....I never got burned. Forgot it for 3 days in mid September. ....got burned....

D

Deleted member 2626

I have a little thing of melauecha oil however its spelled. Ive been chewing garlic and just got some Nutriferon. Look that up. Also i cook with thw dried garlic you can buy like seasoning. Also i try to drink a cup of water with a little apple cider vinegar in it everynight. I have melatonin 10mg when i wasnt sleeping great. It worked one time but since i sleep pretty good now it didnt work as well last few times i used it. I take it once and while for thehell of it

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
coconut oil is also good for a very light sunscreen.
Odin, did the capsules ever work for sore muscles or other pain?

Hah,Pig, that is pretty good.

YEa I guess they did... While they were working before maybe I got used to them and after a lil bit... ... well granted I took more than recommended... I totally felt like I was in a fluffy cloud. ANd I did not get to sleep right away... but I was in that state of getting there.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
oh and one time i used garlic cloves for a yeast infection. smelled like a cesar salad down there

I rub some oregano and dried tomatoes on my junk... with crotch rot you got yourself a mushroom pizza with sausage.

::joyful::

• Haha
Reactions: Barf

starrling

Reaction score
I carry around a healing herb book so of I need something for a specific problem I know what to get. I'm working on building up an herb collection. Sage, garlic, ginger, tumeric,

stryk3

Reaction score
Oregano oil is really good to have handy, I've knocked out stubborn tonsillitis with it by applying it directly to my tonsils with a q-tip. You can also use it for food poisoning but I haven't tried it myself. It's also nice to stave off any kinda throat/sinus infections and keep your mouth nice and clean. This shit is crazy potent though one drop in a shotglass of water used as a mouthwash will burn the fuck outta your mouth and nuke any nastiness trying to set up shop in there.

Love the idea of carrying a garlic bulb!

I've had mixed experiences using herbal bug sprays. They seem to require 3-4 applications to saturate your skin before they're effective and require frequent re application. DEET is nasty but damn does that shit work when you need it to. I may try and formulate my own herbal bugspray at some point to resolve the potency issues.

An antifungal foot salve is great to have on hand to keep your feet from getting all fucked up.

Not really herbal but salt and activated charcoal are useful in a first aid kit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads