Help, new traveling to san francisco

GGallin420

Reaction score
Hey everyone just found this site, its great. Im traveling to san francisco i should be there tomorrow. Im broke, but thats nothing new for me. I wanna do the whole traveling hobo thing for a while. I was homeless in a city of about 30000 people in western mass for 2 years. I hate this city, and its time for me to move on. Im treating this as a spiritual journy. Im exited and very nervous at the same time. I have a buddy that did the whole traveling thing for a few years and he told me to sleep in golden gate park. Is this safe? Is it the best place to stay? I dont want to stay in the shelters. Why bother when its wArm enough. To stay outside. Im used to new England weather that actually kills people, but 50 at night is no problem for me. Im planning on pan handling for my income. Is this gonna work? Im worried that so many people are doing it that i wont make enough to survive. Im basicly clean ive been on suboxone for a few years so i dont have a drug problem, i dont drink. Any advise about living in the city would be much appreciated. Like i said i lived in a small city, so the big city is kind of new and scary. Ok thanks

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome. Please use the search function to answer the many basic questions that new travelers all have::confused::. We are a kind & loving bunch but also quick to inform you that the very nature of survival & traveling with success & efficiently is a DIY affair. We have all helped by posting loads of valuable insight to simmilar questions that you will no have. Please understand that you & your questions are not unique.

SF is filled with tons of homebums & drug addicted wingnuts especially in GG park. I personally would rather be the only traveler in an area than just another of many all competing for the same space, resources etc. I perosnally would rather camp near Baker beach area (there are some cool old concrete forts there, the beach, bathrooms & wooded areas that are great for stealth camping. I live in Mass myself & have traveled a lot but always keep this as my home base. I often say that being homeless is a state of mind of despair & has nothing to do with your actual living situation. Good luck heading west. Dont forget to read the rules, stickies & use the search button.

Peace:cool:

K

Kim Chee

50* at night is pretty nice for a winter temp, add moisture and a little breeze and it isn't going to be too fun but at least it won't kill you. I hope you can stay clean there if that is what you are looking to maintain.

GGallin420

Reaction score
50* at night is pretty nice for a winter temp, add moisture and a little breeze and it isn't going to be too fun but at least it won't kill you. I hope you can stay clean there if that is what you are looking to maintain.

Yes i am planning on maintaining my sobriety. Keeping my fingers crossed that i can stay strong. Hopefully a tent will help. If i can find an adress to ship my dog she will keep me warm too

GGallin420

Reaction score
Hey one more question. I had to leave my dog behind, but my mom is taking care of her for now. I want her with me asap, bbut obviously i wont have an address. Any ideas on where to ship her?

Birdie

Reaction score
I just got done with a little adventure like that. Personally, I had a better time sleeping around the beach in the sunset district. Waaay less people. There is a cool secluded park around there. Wrap yourself in a tarp and you'll be good for the night.

Also, Berkeley (it's a free bart hop away, take an elevator down to the terminal) is awesome. A lot of hidey holes around there and the home bums are cool as shit. If you meet Cat and Two Shay tell them Izzy said hey.

Reactions: GGallin420

Birdie

Reaction score
One word of caution though and I don't know the longterm effect of it but back in December there were a bunch of protests and in the weeks that followed the cops fucking CRACKED DOWN it was a pain sleeping on telegraph but there are the hills and people's park.

Also, sleeping in GG around Haight Ashbury wasn't that bad. Everyone looked out for each other. Idk. Keep your guard up!

• Useful
Reactions: GGallin420

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea about shipping yer pup, but I'll reiterate what highwayman said about GG park being full of drug addicts. Also, there are certain "gangs" that like to go around and fuck with travelers/homeless people and will mug you, etc especially if you're hanging around haight at night - be careful. If you're gonna sleep in the park, I'd recommend sleeping at the Ocean Beach side. There's still meth heads, etc. around, but less out that way. I used to busk some @ the Safeway there making some decent beer money, and you might be able to collect bundles of wood across the street from Ocean Beach and sell them to people @ night @ at the fire pits for a few extra bucks or beer trade if you're stealth and avoid rangers/police.
Bakers beach area is nice, just watch out for the "bush bunnies" - the gay guys cruising the bushes/trails for sex. There are many green spaces you can find to camp where you won't get bothered....if you aren't lazy, you can find some good places where the druggies are too lazy to walk to. Good luck!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
but there are the hills and people's park.
QUOTE]
Bleh! I don't know how you could ever get a decent nights sleep in people's park with all the fucking wingnuts and people pissing and shit there all night. The hills above Berkeley are kind of out of the way, but oh sooooo nice!

Reactions: Mankini and Birdie

Birdie

Reaction score
Dunno man, the cops woke me up more than the wackos! The hills are definitely worth the trek! Maaaaaan, dem sunsets. Plus you can see the tri cities and it's the best. Oh, man.

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
in my opinion , I would Not sleep in golden gate park if you don't know anyone, heard and known a lot of people getting stomped out there and mugged, but really I haven't been there in almost a decade so, idk if its changed

12xPUKEx12

Reaction score
Golden gate is really not that sketchy, sure theres junkies and tweakers but thats anywhere in cali. Unless your hidden really good you will get woken up and ticketed. I go out to fishermans wharf, look around for squats and shit, youll find something pretty easy. The whole bay is completely blown up and has been for years and there is stupid kids EVERYWHERE. I dont know why your going to sf but if you wanna start traveling i would venture elsewhere. Also if yer trying to stay clean thats about the worst area of cali to be in. Stay out of the tenderloin.

Reactions: RSTY802510

GGallin420

Reaction score
Ive heard sf is a pretty safe city to live in. I think my hometown springfield, ma was rated at number 58 for the most dangerous city to live in, and i really dont think springfield is that bad, but i guess its all how you perceive things. I guess u get used to it. Heroin is ruining thiscountry. Just another means of population control, but thats a whole new thread. But thanks for the positive advise and support. Oh one more thing im not afraid to throw down either i dont go anywhere without my switchblade and smily. I am from a dangerous city, and i grew up fighting for being white(whites technically minoritys in springfield) im pretty sure sf is safer.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGallin420

Reaction score
If thatcame outas sarcastic im sorry i was mad for being "stupid" i may be new to the west coast but im not that new to the scene
But thanks for the advise from everyone that didnt call me stupid.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads