Help me take some things out

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im aware that there are many, help me with my gear posts and im sorry to add to it.... but..... Iv got about a 40 liter nice bag and need help because not everthing I want to bring will fit! I dont need much to behonest i just realize I will be walking in the sun alot. Im honestly just going to be exploring, so walking, hitch hiking, taking buses, taking trains, train hopping, camping etc. Iv read alot of different lists on here and would appriciate the advice for my owns. So here it is

Clothes -
3 Pairs of Wool Socks
2 Pairs of Boxers
1 of Black Jeans
1 of Cargo Shorts (Can be used as swim suit as well)
1 Thermal long Underwear (For sleeping as well as putting under clothes in cold weather)
1 Thermal Undershirt (Literally weights nothing)
1 Flannel shirt (to put on over t shirt but under jacket in colder weather or if I decide to hop trains)
1 Hoodie
1 Black Jacket
1 Set of Combat Boots
1 Shemagh like scarf

Not sure I really need a bandana or a scarf at all. Just thought I would use it as a towel instead of bringing a towel and also a way to keep warm if needed?

Shelters-
1 Sleeping Bag (Attached to outside of bag)
1 Sleeping Pad (Attached to outside of bag)
1 Gortex Bivy Bag (Attached to outside of bag)

I have a small carriable two person tent should i just ditch the Bivy bag and use that?

Hygiene-
1 Toothbrush
1 Toothpaste
1 Powdered Deodarant (Weighs less and takes up less space)
1 Soap Bar
1 Shampoo
1 Toilet Paper (Can restock in bathrooms and stuff)
1 anti infection cream
bandages

Not so sure what kind of Soap I should bring? Would prefer something I can wash both my hair and my body with.

Smokes-
Rolling Tobacco and Papers
Tobacco Pipe (Dont really need)
Piped Tobacco (Dont really need)

Needs-
1 Flashlight
1 Pack of Batteries
1 Swiss Army Knife
1 Water Canteen (Gonna use a big cranberry juice jug with the white handles)
1 thin metal pan
Dry Food

What Kind of Dry Food can I bring besides pasta, dry fruits, nuts, and crackers?

Thanks Guys.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
You don't need that many clothes, especially because summer is coming up. I would just wear pants, a shirt and a jacket (maybe bring a pair of shorts). Personally, all I bring is:
-Sleeping bag
-sleeping pad
-Tarp
-Toothbrush & paste
-Sunblock
-Pepper spray
-Small flashlight
-napkins (I use them for toilet paper when I get them in gas stations for free)

That's pretty much it. I can always find anything else I need if I'm near civilization and I don't carry it around. I never carry food with me unless I go out into the wilderness or hop trains. You can bring bagged soups as an option also... Hope I helped

Reactions: trickdaley

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea you probably won't need your thermals until winter is closer...unless you plan on sleeping high up in the mountains and don't have that warm a sleeping bag.
and I don't care what anybody says...I woud pack more socks!!! anyone who's done any amount of trekking will tell you how important your feet are above anything else

Reactions: Ras
T

Toasty Tramp

Take whatever you think you need, if it makes you comfortable enough to take off and begin traveling.
But.
Make a post in two weeks and tell us how much you still have. Best way to figure out what you need and don't need is to carry it all on your back with ya everywhere you go. I started with like 80lbs of shit, and quickly reevaluated every poor decision I ever made in life. (also, thanks goes to @kaichulita for the lessons!)

Don't fret about the small stuff. You can seriously find most of what you need on the fly as you travel, as hard as it is to wrap your mind around. The road really does provide.

My quick tips:

Thermal long sleeves, a hoody, AND a jacket? Toss the hoody and layer up if it gets cold. Hoodies are bulky and weigh a fuck ton if they get soaked. A quality pair of thermals will do wonders.

Exchange black pants for something lighter colored and lightweight. Preferably pants that can unzip to shorts, cause fuck yeah multi purposes.

Find 2 more pairs of socks and underwear. Socks are great to use as a makeshift container you can use to compartmentalize stuff, plus you just can't go wrong with socks.

Toss the soap bar and shampoo, grab some 3 in 1 body wash/shampoo/conditioner. Grab the travel size. You can restock later. Old Spice works wonders.

You certainly need a scarf or something to cover the nose and mouth if you plan on train hopping. Sooooo much dust gets kicked up.

Hope this helps out :)

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer
T

Toasty Tramp

Also, in regards to the shelter:

I just did 7000 miles and slept in temps from 15 degrees to 94 degrees with a bivvy sack. It's kind of a tight fit, but it never took more than like 10 minutes to be lying comfortably in the bag/sack while looking up at a beautiful night sky. If it's raining, seal the bivvy and cozy up :)

T

Toasty Tramp

Lol I actually didn't, but I seriously wish I did. Luckily my bag has a decently thick bottom to it, but I'll be taking a mat with me when I take off again.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I've never used a sleeping mat. Too bulky if you ask me, I've always gotten by with just laying a tarp down. Also if you have to choose between a tent and a bivy I would choose the bivy any day. Tents aren't nearly as practical as you would imagine since they have to be set up and broken down each night/morning. Having bivy is just easier since you can roll your sleeping bag up in it and just go.

Also I would seriously downsize your clothes. I usually bring only the pants I'm wearing and multiple changes of underwear. Since summer is right around the corner you wont need all those warm clothes, I would downsize those.

And yes, just as @iamwhatiam said, bring more socks. Socks are like gold when you're on the road.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
You don't need that many clothes, especially because summer is coming up. I would just wear pants, a shirt and a jacket (maybe bring a pair of shorts).

Also I would seriously downsize your clothes. I usually bring only the pants I'm wearing and multiple changes of underwear. Since summer is right around the corner you wont need all those warm clothes, I would downsize those.

I agree you shouldn't bring too much stuff. But I would recommend one change of clothes. Like a pair of pants, and a T-Shirt at least. (For females a dress or skirt/top combo would also do.) Just in case you want to wash your other things, your clothes get soaking wet, something rips in a way you don't want to wear it anymore (without repair at least) ... That doesn't add too much to the weight IMHO.

I've never used a sleeping mat. Too bulky if you ask me, I've always gotten by with just laying a tarp down. Also if you have to choose between a tent and a bivy I would choose the bivy any day.

Sleeping mats aren't necessary in urban places I guess. Cardboard will do. In the wilderness ... I would bring one.

I woud pack more socks!!! anyone who's done any amount of trekking will tell you how important your feet are above anything else

Yes. And a pair of flip-flops. Essential in my opinion. Can be worn to let your feet air a little bit when protection/support is not needed (in a camp, at a hostel, whatever) and double as emergency shoes in case something happens to your normally worn shoes/boots. Cheap and lightweight.

Edit: I would also bring some basic painkillers (Aspirin or alike). Sitting somewhere waiting for a ride with a headache can be very annoying ...

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like to carry flipflops...if need be, i'll just go barefoot for a while

Reactions: EphemeralStick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads