hello!!!

ovencleaner

Reaction score
heya folks, my name's matt and i've been around the sun about 24 times. i'm from bc, canada. i'm pretty new to this whole travelling thing, this is my first real excursion outside of canada, so it's all pretty new and exciting to me!! i've hitched down to the bay area and might be in the area for a little while to see some shows, and later i want to hitch down to mexico and hopefully south america.

ummm what else?? i like black metal and dubstep and basically everything i guess. i like dancing a lot. i like cats too. i'm an anarchist and i make some pretty killer salads.

maybe if any of you want to go down to mexico etc hit me up??

so yeah. hello!!!

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i'm gonna have to agree with nate on this one.

*note to self... fuse black metal with dub-step as next musical project.*

Cobo

Reaction score
I'm planning on going down to south america hopefully sometime next year, we should team up. I'm a native spanish speaker so i can help us not get killed n such. I wouldn't hitchhike through mexico though thats suicide for a gringo. I was in El Paso over the summer and EVERYBODY told me not to go to mexico, even alotta mexicans wont go back to visit, it's basically a warzone.

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
it's basically a warzone.

God bless US foreign policy and domestic control issues.
So it goes.

Welcome aboard, good luck, and hope I catch you out there, man.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
erm ya the cartel war is going crazy right now... im right on the boarder of mexico currently and NO ONE is goin over there. its a literal war on the streets sir. even past the war hitching through mexico in general is a bad idea. bandits are everywhere, hell even the police will rob you especially if it looks like youre traveling.

all that aside welcome to the site!

M

Monkeywrench

Please don't the opinions of a couple traveling kids and our country's signature brand of xenophobia and racism deter you from traveling through Mexico and having a blast. Yes, there is violence. Yes, there is a language barrier. Will either of these affect you? Most likely not.

I've traveled extensively through Latin America, and the biggest issue I had was with border police and local authorities assuming I was there for cocaine and hookers (seriously). If you've got a passport, and documentation (photocopy this shit twice), you'll be fine. I'm a Latino that doesn't speak the language and I made it up one coast and down the other without being robbed, mugged or even yelled at really. You'll find people (especially in Argentina) will be way more interested in why you're traveling and treating you like a welcomed guest, rather than an intrusive gringo cultural tourist that is there to stare and take pictures as if the people are some kind of exotic wildlife.

Hitching through Mexico is probably easier than any US state on your best day. Also, welcome to StP. :)

ovencleaner

Reaction score
thanks for the welcomes friends!

i know the border is pretty scary right now but ive looked into it and i dont think it's too bad outside the border towns. i hear that mostly the hitching in mex is really easy actually and mostly people are friendly. you only live once! i'm also pretty stoked to learn spanish down there, which i think might help.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads