Hello | Squat the Planet

Hello

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just joined today but have followed stp for quite awhile. You guys are my heroes. I haven't traveled too much as my current life limits the time I have, but I have ridden a couple of trains here in Montana on short trips. I also built a tiny house on a truck and lived in it this summer. Was a great time. I do work seasonally, so I'll be looking to do some more travelling in the spring. Mabey a shantyboat or raft trip. When I have to stay put, I love reading about peoples travels and squatting adventures here. Helps remind me that the whole world isn't frozen.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
welcome aboard! How was that tiny house on a truck? Got pics? Montana is gorgeous (only traveled though it once on a straight through road trip). And welcome again. :)

Reactions: Kal

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
welcome aboard! How was that tiny house on a truck? Got pics? Montana is gorgeous (only traveled though it once on a straight through road trip). And welcome again. :)
I
Thanks for the welcome. Just put a pick of the truck as my avatar. It was fun to build and fun to live in. It does get some funny looks going down the road.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Helps remind me that the whole world isn't frozen.

That is a good turn of phrase... hmm.

Welcome to STP.
Good journey's and make use of the considerable collection of information here.
You can check out the FAQ for basic rules and etiquette on the site.
Also encouraged to participate in chat with us crazy folks. SOmetimes it's slow sometimes it's not.

Peace.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
That is a cool pic of your truck :) I do imagine you do get a couple of head turning look backs!! Thanks for the pic!!

Kal

Reaction score
Awesome truck. Montana is just beautiful friendly people beautiful state. Welcome to S.T.P have fun and be safe.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hello all,

I just joined today but have followed stp for quite awhile. You guys are my heroes. I haven't traveled too much as my current life limits the time I have, but I have ridden a couple of trains here in Montana on short trips. I also built a tiny house on a truck and lived in it this summer. Was a great time. I do work seasonally, so I'll be looking to do some more travelling in the spring. Mabey a shantyboat or raft trip. When I have to stay put, I love reading about peoples travels and squatting adventures here. Helps remind me that the whole world isn't frozen.

hello and welcome! what kind of seasonal work are you doing? also, the shantyboat thing is something i'd really like to do sometime. any ideas on how you'd do it?

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
hello and welcome! what kind of seasonal work are you doing? also, the shantyboat thing is something i'd really like to do sometime. any ideas on how you'd do it?
I actually work at the Marlboro ranch here in montana. Talk about corporate America. I've always wanted to do a shantyboat trip. It's the logistics that have been tricky. At this point I have six 55 gallon plastic barrels in storage. I figured I'd rent a uhaul and take them east to maybe the ohio or tn river and build the raft on the shore somewhere I could do it without too much attention. Then just take off and build a cabin on the raft out of found materials as I go. I built one a couple of years ago here and tested it out on a small lake. It was stable and maneuverable with oars that I made too. Was ghetto, but worked fine. I took the raft apart and built a treehouse with the materials but kept the barrels. It's basically just a wooden deck with spaces in the framing for the barrels to fit into. I ran ratchet straps around the barrels too so if they would stay put in rough water. I've read about other types people have built and done trips on the mississippi river. There is a website that tells their story too. "Boat Punks of Winona" or Robnoxious search should bring it up.

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
It would be sweet if we could get a flotilla together. I only have about six weeks off in the spring, but I'd float as long as I could and just hop off when I needed to get back. The raft could just continue on with a new crew.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads