hello. | Squat the Planet

hello.

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
im travis
from buffalo, new york
just here to kinda gain a lil more knowledge on everything i can (i like just knowing things in general), like everything from cool places to see and fun shit to do... i dont know get ideas and stuff

ive wanted to go traveling even hopping trains since i was a little kid (saw some documentaries in school when i was really little, been sold on the idea since) not like anything intense just small little trips for maybe a few weeks here and there... was supposed to go this year between semesters, but things arent panning out at all the way i wanted, (problems with family shit) but i suppose shit happens and ill get around to it in the end... i mean ive done a little trip around the north mid east-ish a few months back but nothing special (in my car, and not even a full month, just covered a few states) came back early because of some situations with a couple of my friends

was hoping to leave for a while, but thats not lookin like it will pan out, but hey, thats life... so yeah i want to at least take some mini trips every now and again

Reactions: ev wood

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome Travis. Mini trips is where it's at. you always meet new people, learn interesting stuff, see cool (or uncool) places. So it sounds like you've got a lot of obligations/dilemmas holding you back from your dreams? is there one category that all those things fit in? or are they hitting you from all directions? For my friend it's family, for me, it was work.

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
just kinda everything in general hitting me, i was out alone in march for a little bit (just a couple weeks), and a bit in i found out one of my friends got shipped back home after getting arrested in texas, and one of my other friends flipped a lid on a bunch of like experimental drugs, so i kinda came back for my friends that time

and yeah, i had to stay for family in the summer, my dads gettin old and needed help with moving and stuff and a few other things... and now i gotta stay for myself ahah, my teeth are fucked and full of holes and such, i have dental for two months, and i had to wait two weeks because of how bad of an infection i had clearing up in my mouth, so i gotta get what i can now otherwise they aint gettin fixes and ill lose em lol

and for work, theyre pretty chill about stuff, im actually going to talk to them about me maybe taking a month or so off so i can head out without loosing my job (i need that shit for while im in school), even if i can only get one week off i could still head out because of how the work schedules are id be able to have it set up so i have like almost a month off anyway lol

but yeah, i might be heading out with my buddy bender in mid july, if not im still going to at least leave a couple times on my breaks from work, i promised to visit too many people lol

Reactions: Charlie

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sounds like you're doing good work and getting your priorities taken care of. I have to say, asking for time off from work is a lot better than quitting and coming back later looking for work, so props on that too. And thanks for being a good friend to your friends, people really need that to help pull them through difficult times. I just started skateboarding a couple months ago to help get a friend off heroin. It worked out for me too because skateboarding become my main motivator to stop smoking. Who knows, maybe just helping your friends will help you help yourself.

You got your priorities straight, that's incredibly admirable. It took me a while to figure out my priorities.

Reactions: Gonx

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
lol thanks man, i try to keep my shit straight so i dont fuck myself as much, i already get fucked over by others enough lol one of the kinda shitty things is my buddy that lost his shit was supposed to come with me on the trip in march, but i just kinda left without letting him know... i just kinda wanted to bounce alone type thing... and good for your friend man, heroins a bitch to quit

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks, yeah he's struggled, but he's pulling through and it shows.

I hear you about traveling solo. Traveling with other people can hinder the way you want to travel. I almost always make the mistake of looking for people to travel with, and then once I do I realize it's not MY trip, it's OUR trip and then if I'm looking out for them and that's not returned, then they walk all over me and that sucks.

I was hitching solo to a music festival, and met a couple kids who were going there too. So they kept asking me for help in a few situations, I didn't mind that. What got me was one of those kids kept damaging my tent, put cigarette butts in my metal cup (eating/drinking utensil), and then stole my blanket.

After that situation, I've been thinking of how I could quickly test people when I meet them. This kid didn't show any signs of empathy. I know in the past, I would tell a joke in a long drawn out manner and anybody who listened to the entire joke I knew they were good listeners, that's what I used in the past.

Reactions: ev wood

ev wood

Reaction score
Website
delasoleil.tumblr.com
Minitrips are great, I did a few before I quit altogether & threw myself into the arms of the universe so to speak (that's what by boss called it when I finally did leave lol). It definitely helps when you work at a place where the schedules are lax and the people understand wanderlust.

& charlie - Great tip for vetting people, Ill have to remember that one.

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks, yeah he's struggled, but he's pulling through and it shows.

I hear you about traveling solo. Traveling with other people can hinder the way you want to travel.

wasnt even really that, he wouldnt really have cared what we did, it was just i guess i wanted to be kind of alone for a while to deal with muh shit

... speaking of which, he just finished court and got out today, best of all, all his felonies have been dropped down

and @ev i wouldnt even call it wanderlust, i just kinda like to do stuff/see places/experience things i guess... i dont know lol... if ill get around to actually traveling anytime soon, one of the other things i was working towards besides finishing school was buying a beater house... i live in the rust belt, so i can do it pretty cheap, once that would be done id be able to come and go whenever

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
sounds sketchy travis, would you work enough to pay the land taxes for a few years?

lololol yeah dude, like i said, its the rust belt... taxes on these houses can be under a grand a year lol

plus id probably have a couple friends living there to pay rent or whatever(basically enough for the bills for what they use and for the taxws)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads