Hello, Howdy, Wassup people! | Squat the Planet

Hello, Howdy, Wassup people!

Alchavo91

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Alex currently in michigan. I have wanted to ride freight trains since I was pretty young, my brother hopped and hitched for a long time. From time to time he would bring home amazing, open minded, and always really funny people, normally with some silly face tats. Life went on and I never really made any plans to go, but now I have a vague plan to leave in June, maybe a little before to try and get to MDF, a place my brother and his friends used to hop to every year. I plan on hitch hiking with a friend, and riding freights.
This is a grand website with a lot of great info/stories/photos. I have done some research on my methods of travel. I have a few hobbies that I think could be useful- camping, playing guitar, singing, and urban exploration. I definitely believe that I can adapt to any situation, and am looking for an adventure, even if it ends up being only a couples of weeks, or a couple of years.
I have a good idea that a good chunk of the time I will be cold, hungry, have to have patience, and be at ease being alone. I just gotta try it out. Yoo, everybody have a good day and get at me if you wanna chat. My vague plan involves leaving from Michigan to Chicago, to Denver, to Seattle where my brother is.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plan man. A good head is all you need. And you have one! Welcome to stp. God speed brother.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome! You have a awesome plan and good attitude!
If you want to bypass Chicago, go to Muskegon and hop on the Lake Express and come to Milwaukee. You can catch out on a train and head up to the Twin Cities and then on to Seattle.

Alchavo91

Reaction score
If you want to bypass Chicago, go to Muskegon and hop on the Lake Express and come to Milwaukee. You can catch out on a train and head up to the Twin Cities and then on to Seattle.
Thanks for that, I have a good friend in muskegon, so I can chill with her too for a minute. I do have a lot of friends and family in chicago but I've heard it's a bitch to hitch hike out of and it looks like it has a thousand different railroads.

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for that, I have a good friend in muskegon, so I can chill with her too for a minute. I do have a lot of friends and family in chicago but I've heard it's a bitch to hitch hike out of and it looks like it has a thousand different railroads.
Not a problem! BTW: the Lake Express ferry doesn't operate until mid or late April till late October. Which departs Milwaukee to Muskegon and then back. It's a fun ride! You can even bring your bicycle on it for a fee. It's one way to avoid the Chicago headaches!

• Useful
Reactions: RoadFlower33

sgtpickles

Reaction score

Hey Crazy Hobo Johnny, just wondering if this is still relevant as of now - I'm headed to Chicago (planning to get to Denver) next week but it would be awesome to skip it and get to Milwaukee since this is my first ride, and I think I'd feel more comfortable navigating yards in Milwaukee for my first time... Not sure though, wondering if you have any experience navigating in either of those two cities.

sgtpickles

Reaction score
Hey dude, I'm from Michigan too and my plan is pretty similar lol. I'm catching out from Grand Rapids to Chicago next week, eventually heading to Denver. What was your experience on this route like? Best/Worst parts?

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey Crazy Hobo Johnny, just wondering if this is still relevant as of now - I'm headed to Chicago (planning to get to Denver) next week but it would be awesome to skip it and get to Milwaukee since this is my first ride, and I think I'd feel more comfortable navigating yards in Milwaukee for my first time... Not sure though, wondering if you have any experience navigating in either of those two cities.
I would avoid Chicago however getting to Denver you would have to take a route from Chicago to Denver. And of course if want to avoid freights is to take Amtrash from Chicago to Denver.

The lines in Wisconsin UP, CP cross Wisconsin to the Twin Cities, Minnesota and back to Chicago.

BNSF on Wisconsin side and CP Minnesota side head north and south along the Mississippi River.

So, if you wanted to come to Milwaukee and want to head to Denver, you would have to go through Chicago unfortunately :(

Reactions: sgtpickles

sgtpickles

Reaction score
I would avoid Chicago however getting to Denver you would have to take a route from Chicago to Denver. And of course if want to avoid freights is to take Amtrash from Chicago to Denver.

The lines in Wisconsin UP, CP cross Wisconsin to the Twin Cities, Minnesota and back to Chicago.

BNSF on Wisconsin side and CP Minnesota side head north and south along the Mississippi River.

So, if you wanted to come to Milwaukee and want to head to Denver, you would have to go through Chicago unfortunately :(
Thinking of taking the local trains from East Chicago to Union Station, then U.S. to Willow Springs - the BNSF line there seems rideable. Any stories from Willow Springs?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads