Hello Hello! | Squat the Planet

Hello Hello!

Kabocha

Reaction score
florida's most underappreciated construction hell
Good evening (or... whatever appropriate greeting for the time of day where you are). I'm Ash and I'm new 'round these parts. I discovered this website after going down a weird youtube rabbit hole that started with looking at people's van builds and ended with me curiously searching for more info on train hopping. I came for that info, I stayed for everything else! I'm pretty shy, so I mostly see myself lurking here.

More about me: I hail from Florida but have moved around a whole heck of a lot. I currently bounce between Jacksonville and Brunswick. The slightly more socially acceptable style of nomadic living I experienced as a military brat has translated into an insatiable wanderlust as an adult and I figure it's only a matter of time before I "snap" and give a less traditional way of life a try. I find the life I'm currently living unsatisfying, lacking in some way, and I think traveling and living more simply is a big part of that craving I feel.

If anyone has any tips about starting out traveling in this part of the country, I'd certainly appreciate it! The south isn't always the most hospitable place, after all. Right now, I'm considering the idea of making myself a "weekend vagabond" and taking a short trip to a near-ish city (possibly just something in the southern end of Florida, like perhaps Tampa or even as far as Key West) to test the waters.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Welcome to the site friend. Safe travels..

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:) you did go through a rabbit hole to find your way here! I found my way here looking for busy forums and then stumbled on one of the travel stories posted from here - I read, then wanted another and so here I am. :) We have a wealth of travel info here in our many subforums - do some research and do ask questions in the subforums - people will help. Enjoy and happy travels!

Reactions: Kabocha

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
while flordia sucks for the most part, i did have a good time living in key west, even met some other punks there (on sailboats)!

Reactions: Kabocha

Kabocha

Reaction score
florida's most underappreciated construction hell
personally i love the free fish here in florida. i honestly dont understand why soo many people have problems surviving here. today was 70s and i found yet another expensive watch in the sand with my metal detector. taco tuesday filled my belly with 9 tacos and some unsweet tea for 10 bucks after tax and tip.

as long as you avoid anything north of broward county and anywhere outside of the tampa area its pretty decent. all those rural places in the middle are kinda fucked tho.

the dumpsters here at the swanky markets are da bom, im always scoring fancy pastry from the italian market.
Unlucky for me, I live far, far north of Broward County lol. But that's why I want to mosey on south! Good stuff to keep in mind...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads