hello from the atx

greeen

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a mid thirties male currently living in austin, tx. This is my second stint in austin as I was here about 8 years ago before my took a different direction after a hard break up. Similar to most people I had a rocky childhood and a broken home and personally I dealt with it with a skateboard. The lifestyle kinda shaped me as a person and helped me grow up. Seeing the world for what it is. People just angry at others for doing things a different way. Before skateboarding I never realized people would just cuss out and try to intimidate young kids just trying to have fun, these experiences helped me grow and learn values of friendship and comradery, things I didn't really get at home. Skateboarding was a doorway to other alternative lifestyles I enjoy of art, graffiti, recreational drug use and just creation. I am also on the spectrum, or so they say.

You may have an idea of how my life probably went but instead of embracing these things I loved I just kind of enjoyed them from afar and tried to be "normal". Got a job at 16, went to college after high school, took a shitty job I didn't like after college. Then at a dark moment I just did something different, because I just had to change and became a door to door salesman. I was horrible at first, anxiety and no self-confidence. The way my co-workers were able to persevere, and make nice coin, with much less formal knowledge and much more rough around the edges street smarts intrigued me, so I stuck around. It was there I met these transient vagabond salesmen. Worked in some form of sales up until around 2 years ago.

This is me sharing more than I have in a very long time, and I really don't know how, so I'll make it brief. Currently working middle management in big box retail and I have hit that low again. I need to feel alive again. I know the only way is to get out in the world and travel and meet and see new people. This is what led me to this website. Thank you for having me, this post alone has been cathartic. I'm going to like it here.

roughdraft

Reaction score
i appreciated what you had to say regarding people having such malice toward young people enjoying, this was an issue in my hometown as well, skating, playing hackeysack in public was enough for police involvement. a sad state of affairs, but something that is very illuminating on choosing carefully & responsibly - for instance that "success" does not always bode so well in a holistic sense - case in point being suit & tie folk with a fair amount of money harassing people doing innocent things for their own enjoyment.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads