Hello from Thailand

Desmocrat

living two lifetimes in the span of one.
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I'm Stephen, originally from Kentucky, but have lived all over and have been living in Loei, Thailand for the last three years. I was originally trained as a photographer/photojournalist by the U.S. Air Force back in the 1970s, but pursued fine arts after that, bailed on school after two years and went to work in the sculpture foundries in New York, learning the process in one of the smallest foundries, then moved to the world's largest foundry, Tallix Art Foundry. After 20 years of working in metal sculpture production, including my own work which included solo shows in NYC, New York, Georgia, Kentucky, and California, I took a break to become certified as a scuba instructor and cave diver. I then worked on a 60' sloop-rigged live aboard dive boat in the Bahamas for a while before switching to a new career doing CAD design for architectural and civil engineering firms. This was right about the time that 3D modeling was coming on the scene and I jumped in head first starting small but advancing to large scale +$300M projects (hospitals, Yum! Brands Arena in Louisville, KY, multi-use facilities, bio-med, etc.)
Alongside doing the design work, I resurrected my training in photography and published two books on temple architecture in Kyoto, Japan and Angkor, Cambodia. While working on the book of Angkor, part of my research was next door in Thailand. It was here that I met my wife as she was my fixer. The joke is that after riding all over Isaan, Thailand with her in a sub-compact car for three weeks and not killing her, that I'd best hang onto her. A year later we were married on the same day as the coup against PM Thaksin Shinawatra. A year later she gained her green card and came to the U.S. where she "Americanized" for 16 years.
Also, about the same time I was doing the two books I traveled to India for the first time to have a musical instrument built, as I had been studying Indian classical music for four years and had outgrown the student-grade surbahar I had been practicing with. So I first did a four month Hindi language program in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand and then another four months in Varanasi spending every day witnessing the creation of my surbahar, which is like a larger bass sitar. I was back the Indian Himalaya for my fourth visit last year where on the next to the last day of a 16 day motorcycle trip across some of the world's highest roadways, I was hit head on by a pickup the came around a blind curve in my lane. Fucked both shoulders and both feet. Still recovering, but have been back on the bikes a few times. "Get back on the horse that throws you. Don't let them win" was something I heard often growing up on a working thoroughbred horse farm in Kentucky. Horses and motorcycles are about the same thing.
Finally, after selling the house and just about everything else we owned, we went on a three month road trip around the U.S. so that my wife could bag all of the lower 48, then on the last hour of 2020 (11:20pm) we landed in Bangkok to start a new life in Thailand.
Thoroughly enjoying my life here and have traveling all over South and Southeast Asia, and especially all over Thailand. The map shows all of the roads I have covered in Thailand represented by black lines. Mostly by motorcycle, but by pickup when the wife tags along (I still don't want to kill her). If you have questions about traveling around Thailand, I'd be glad to give any insight I can render.

Attachments

• Thailand Roads Traveled 12:20:2023.jpg
    Thailand Roads Traveled 12:20:2023.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

Desmocrat

Reaction score
Hello fellow caver

I thought there were a lot of caves when I lived in Kentucky (although most of my previous caving was underwater in Florida and Yucatán, Mexico). Kentucky may have the biggest, but doesn’t come anywhere nearly as close to the amount of caves as there are where I live now. Caver’s paradise. There is a cave on almost every hike I go on. Also, there is an area of caves a few hours from here that has the world’s smallest bats. Little guy’s bodies are about the size of the first joint of my thumb. The bumblebee bat or Kitti’s hog nosed bat lives in a small pocket of karst on the Thai/Myanmar border. Cool stuff indeed.

ali

Reaction score
Sounds like you've had a pretty colorful journey! I hope you can find some interesting material on this site and can share some more stories of your own.

Desmocrat

Reaction score
Hey Ali, sounds like you’ve been around the block as well. How are you liking Taiwan? I spent two days in Taipei and have dealt with a motorcycle parts fabricator (OneHandMade) from there. Give me a shout if you ever find yourself in northern Thailand.

Desmocrat

Reaction score
Wow!!!
Thats a lot!!

I also like casting and sculpture (used to do the figurative realism shtick) now I watercolor and travel.

Enjoy! Good luck!

Yes, it would be a challenge to take a sculpture casting foundry with you on your travels. The last foundry I worked for required a 200,000 sq.ft. with 38' under the bridge crane hooks to house all of the processes for casting and fabrication of metal sculpture. The tools of a watercolorist pack up pretty neatly.

Desmocrat

Reaction score
Have you considered writing an autobiography? It'd be a hell of a good read. I can tell you're going to be a fun person to get to know around here.

A lot of people have asked me to write the auto bio, but hell, I’m still seeking thrills. I might write it as something to do while I’m in hospice care. I’m gathering for a book on Thailand now.

Reactions: DreadForest

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads