Hello from Tampa FL | Squat the Planet

Hello from Tampa FL

Reaction score
Hi guys! My name is Thought Criminal. 20 years old, I'm from Tampa, FL. Joining StP hoping to learn something about Train Hopping and to get to know the community. I'm pretty out of sorts with the direction of my life, have been for a few years now, I've been giving alot of thought to ditching Tampa to see America. Problem is I don't have any money. I've taken a few short trips on Greyhound, San Antonio, NOLA, and Memphis and really enjoyed myself, I just always end up back in Tampa. I'd like to catch out and stay in New Orleans, it's getting cooler and I've always loved the city. Problem is I don't know jack shit about freight hopping, trains, or making it as a tramp.
Hopefully I can learn some stuff on here. Maybe meet someone from Tampa who can teach me a thing or two? We'll see.

Reactions: Bl3wbyyou

See

Reaction score
Money isnt hard to come by. If you play an instrument try busking in front of a store. If not you can always fly a sign near the exits of shopping centers or red lights. Be creative with what you write on your sign. If you can make someone laugh you are more likely to do better flying a sign. If you havent hopped a train before, Id suggest trying hitch hiking first. That way you can meet other travelers on the road that might be able to show you the ropes when it comes to trains. And remember, you have to try to go hungry in America. Coming by food isnt difficult. Alot of times people will give you food and water instead of cash when flying a sign. And theres always dumpster diving

Good luck and safe travels

Reaction score
Thanks See! I can't imagine money is that difficult to come by. I do play ukulele, kind of ridiculous but it's alot of fun and easy to carry around in comparison to a big guitar. Everyone loves it when I play at the bus stop or at work. I actually hadn't even thought of that, I'm no uke god or anything but I know enough songs to go for 15-20 minutes or so.

See

Reaction score
Thats all it takes man. Put a cup, your hat, or your case out near you when you play. Its the universal symbol of playing for tips

skitter

Reaction score
Even if you are not a uke god.
I mean, i play my uke and i am not very technically accomplished but i love that damn thing and people seem to like it when you are having fun... Energetic performances and smiling at passersby gets ya a lot further then being a broody musician.

I am currently en route to florida for the winter. If you see us, say hi or something~

Last edited by a moderator:

CrotchInfection

Reaction score
Hey man I just moved to Tampa! PM me if you want to talk. I'm looking to meet people anyways.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads