Hello from Alabama.

garrisons

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm Stephen, and i live in Salem. I've been on the here for 3 or 4 years now but never posted anything until now. I have had a growing desire to travel for the past year and a half or so. Literally I think about it every single day. I had a job but i got layoff couple months ago so I've been thinking... "Why continue on like this and be miserable? There is more to life than this!" I want to go to concerts and experience things I never have before. using the money I've saved up, and just hitting the road by Train hopping, Hitchhike, and walking. My parents never traveled and always worked and I don't want that to be me. I'm a noob when it comes to all of this though. I've never been on vacation, never driven for more than 3 hours at a time, and I've been camping only a few times. I have been in a car for more than 24 hours at a time, I just wasn't the one driving. I'm in my early 30's, money saved, and while my parents won't approve of this decision I want to make, I still want to do it. It's my life and I want to live it. Not wait to die!

I do have a question for y'all.
How do y'all deal with overprotective parents?

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Welcome!

I gave my parents the finger, and said i'm doing what I want. When I did do the things they may have not wanted me to, I returned un-scathed, and still managed to get the things they gave importance too, finished as well. After doing that for a while, they learned that I could take care of myself, and stopped bothering me, or ordering me around.
Though, I made sure to make this happen by the age of 16.

I'm sure a similar approach would work for you.
Tell them how you feel, and do what you gotta do. They'll see that you're getting by fine, and you are your own person.

Reactions: garrisons

garrisons

Reaction score
I'm sure a similar approach would work for you.
Tell them how you feel, and do what you gotta do. They'll see that you're getting by fine, and you are your own person.

thank you for your advice

You are in your 30's.....What was the question again.

My parents won't even about talk to me about leaving, I did try to tell them how I feel and they think I'm crazy because I want to travel

D

Deleted member 20065

thank you for your advice

My parents won't even about talk to me about leaving, I did try to tell them how I feel and they think I'm crazy because I want to travel
I was being sarcastic but...Why do you need to talk to them? Pack a bag and leave. You don't owe anyone anything, you are in your 30's! Time to start living your own life and making your own decisions. I haven't asked for permission to do anything since I was 16 I am 31 now. It's your life not theirs; live it.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well very cool -go live life!!! And very cool that you registered :).

I love to travel - I'm housed up and enjoy my couchsurfing friends but love my travels - and plan my travels - where to go, what to see - any abandoned stuffs around? Urban explore - I love. Forests, fresh water springs, hot springs etc etc etc - get an idea an investigate. I love planning. but then even on the fly - know the routes. You traveling by car?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads