hello everybody. | Squat the Planet

hello everybody.

Jellofucto

Reaction score
Hello everybody. They call me Jello. I want to start traveling as soon as this covid crap dies down (if it ever will :( ). It's been a few years since I been on the road. I from Louisiana born and raised. My dad got sick a few years back. I stayed with him and helped take care of him for about four years. He was really cool to hang out with, so I didn't mind being their for him. He died the week before the covid lock down. His wake and funeral was the first Wednesday of the covid lock down. Only ten people could go. That part really sucked. I told myself that after he passed that I was going to hit the road for awhile since I been here for so long. Just my luck, all this virus stuff went down. I'm still going to stick with my plan. Anyway, thanks for having me. I look forward to meeting new people and maybe keeping in touch with them.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ah man that's rough with the dad and all. totally understand you wanting to get out for a while. welcome to the community, i hope it serves you well! let us know if you need help with anything.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm glad you got to spend that time with your pops. I bet the man had some stories. Feel free to share a couple if you'd like to, we're very story-friendly around here. I'm in a very similar boat right now. Back in early March I departed on a road trip with my dog. The plan was to drive from California to the east coast to watch the sun rise on the ocean for our first time and visit many STP friends along the way.

In a bar in downtown Flagstaff with friend 1 the day before St. Patrick's day we learned the world was shutting down. I realized what an awful time it was for this road trip but I was already some hundreds of miles into it and I decided to just keep on truckin despite the news and inconvenience. Found myself standing with friend 4 in the French Quarter at 10 PM unable to see a single other person for as far as the eye could see in all directions, it was surreal.

We kept on traveling. Made it to the east coast, watched the sun rise on the sea. Hung out with almost everyone I had planned on meeting up with and then white-line-fevered it back to California. Here I'm taking care of my very ill elderly mother who can go any day.. or not. Her health is very complicated. Some days I check to see if her rib cage is rising as she sleeps, certain she's no longer breathing. Some days I think she'll go on for years.

I'm grateful for this time with her. I'm just kinda here, putting any plans or desires to travel on hold. I know when she's gone I'll be feeling a lot like you're feeling now. I think the road is a great place to decompress and recharge the batteries of your soul. Stick with your plans, it can't be any worse a time to travel than it was back in March. I don't regret that trip at all. Safe travels. Hit me up if you find yourself in Central California, dinner and drinks on me.

Jellofucto

Reaction score
I'm glad you got to spend that time with your pops. I bet the man had some stories. Feel free to share a couple if you'd like to, we're very story-friendly around here. I'm in a very similar boat right now. Back in early March I departed on a road trip with my dog. The plan was to drive from California to the east coast to watch the sun rise on the ocean for our first time and visit many STP friends along the way.

In a bar in downtown Flagstaff with friend 1 the day before St. Patrick's day we learned the world was shutting down. I realized what an awful time it was for this road trip but I was already some hundreds of miles into it and I decided to just keep on truckin despite the news and inconvenience. Found myself standing with friend 4 in the French Quarter at 10 PM unable to see a single other person for as far as the eye could see in all directions, it was surreal.

We kept on traveling. Made it to the east coast, watched the sun rise on the sea. Hung out with almost everyone I had planned on meeting up with and then white-line-fevered it back to California. Here I'm taking care of my very ill elderly mother who can go any day.. or not. Her health is very complicated. Some days I check to see if her rib cage is rising as she sleeps, certain she's no longer breathing. Some days I think she'll go on for years.

I'm grateful for this time with her. I'm just kinda here, putting any plans or desires to travel on hold. I know when she's gone I'll be feeling a lot like you're feeling now. I think the road is a great place to decompress and recharge the batteries of your soul. Stick with your plans, it can't be any worse a time to travel than it was back in March. I don't regret that trip at all. Safe travels. Hit me up if you find yourself in Central California, dinner and drinks on me.
Thanks man. I haven't hit the road yet because there's things I want to do that I can't do because of covid. They have this Folk Punk show in Texas that had a lot of group's and singers I wanted to check out. Days N Daze was the ones putting it together at a campground. It was canceled and rescheduled twice. Who knows if their going to do it or not now. But I'm getting ready to say the hell with it and head out anyway. I want to head out west. Never been that way. If I'm in central California I might hold you up on that dinner and drinks offer. :)

Jellofucto

Reaction score
I forgot to mention earlier that my dog of 18 years (a weenie dog) died three days before x-mas last year. I miss that lil fella alot. I thought about getting another one, but I'm not sure I want to go through that heart break again. I been going up against it here recently . But this isn't the first time. I'll fight like hell to make it. What else can you do but that?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads