hear ye, hear ye

deadpets

Reaction score
hello everybody

im 19, born and raised in a small town in alberta.
theres not a lot I can actually complain about regarding my life here or experience growing up, save for a good few shitty people but i might just have bad taste.

despite this, I have developed a strong aversion to the comfort found in habit and stability. its too predictable. without change, the days blur together and i never grow as a person. but when its so comfy and familiar living in habit, why would i ever want it to change?

not long ago I tried to tackle this issue by travelling by more shall we say, conventional methods, but quickly found this to not be financially viable to say the least. but still i found that I far prefer a life of drifting around somewhat aimlessly (but enthusiastically) rather than living in a loop.

so this brings me here. Planning on hitting the road. I've got everything I need already except for a shelter, just been trying to decide between a hammock or a tent. I'm mostly thinking of riding freights, so I already know a tent could be somewhat of an inconvenience for such uses, but am equally unsure whether a hammock can be practically useful due to needing trees and such. maybe either option is too much and i should just sleep rough?

anyways just thought i'd say hi.
as you were.

Raleslicr

Reaction score
I can relate so much to what you said. That's the main reason I hit the road.

I'd go with a camping tarp and a hammock, you can configure it in many ways, even into a fully enclosed tent instead of an A-frame, and if you're lazy you can just wrap up like a burrito and stay dry if there's no trees or even sticks to pitch a ridge line.

It's significantly lighter than any tent you will find. The downside is critters have an easier time getting in, but ive never had a problem, not once.

If you are on shitty ground but have trees, you can hang the hammock and then pitch your tarp and you will stay dry and comfortable. Just my 2 cents, I have definitely considered getting a tent but a hammock is a necessity in my mind. I have one that folds up to the size of my fist and is durable as hell. I actually carry 2 tarps, one for a tent and one for the ground and it doesn't take up much space or weight.

happy hobo

Reaction score
hello everybody

theres not a lot I can actually complain about regarding my life here or experience growing up, save for a good few shitty people but i might just have bad taste.

despite this, I have developed a strong aversion to the comfort found in habit and stability. its too predictable. without change, the days blur together and i never grow as a person. but when its so comfy and familiar living in habit, why would i ever want it to change?

not long ago I tried to tackle this issue by travelling by more shall we say, conventional methods, but quickly found this to not be financially viable to say the least. but still i found that I far prefer a life of drifting around somewhat aimlessly (but enthusiastically) rather than living in a loop.

so this brings me here. Planning on hitting the road. I've got everything I need already except for a shelter, just been trying to decide between a hammock or a tent. I'm mostly thinking of riding freights, so I already know a tent could be somewhat of an inconvenience for such uses, but am equally unsure whether a hammock can be practically useful due to needing trees and such. maybe either option is too much and i should just sleep rough?

as you were.

I bought a tent hammock on Amazon for a hundred bucks, you can still make it work as a lean-to shelter even without trees, best part is it's light and fits easy in my pack. Good luck!

Reactions: deadpets

deadpets

Reaction score
I can relate so much to what you said. That's the main reason I hit the road.

I'd go with a camping tarp and a hammock, you can configure it in many ways, even into a fully enclosed tent instead of an A-frame, and if you're lazy you can just wrap up like a burrito and stay dry if there's no trees or even sticks to pitch a ridge line.

It's significantly lighter than any tent you will find. The downside is critters have an easier time getting in, but ive never had a problem, not once.

If you are on shitty ground but have trees, you can hang the hammock and then pitch your tarp and you will stay dry and comfortable. Just my 2 cents, I have definitely considered getting a tent but a hammock is a necessity in my mind. I have one that folds up to the size of my fist and is durable as hell. I actually carry 2 tarps, one for a tent and one for the ground and it doesn't take up much space or weight.

I ended up just going the tarp+cardboard route. Even still though i find my bag is really heavy. do you not find the weight too much with a hammock and two tarps? Especially considering the rope needed for the hammock.

Last edited:

Raleslicr

Reaction score
I ended up just going the tarp+cardboard route. Even still though i find my bag is really heavy. do you not find the weight too much with a hammock and two tarps? Especially considering the rope needed for the hammock.

My hammock has straps, no rope.

I use 550 Paracord. My 60 liter before food and water is 40 lbs and that's with winter gear also.

My problem with cardboard isnt finding it, but carrying it to the camp spot. You need a couple layers for it to be effective as insulation and I just feel like it draws too much attention.

Reactions: deadpets

dallaskelly

Reaction score
hello everybody

as you were.
hey!! fellow berta boy here. looking up "alberta" in posts to see if anyone has any stories about freight riding in the province specifically, how's it been working out for you? if you've gotten the chance

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads