Having a family member who is mentally ill...

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
... some mentally ill folks just burn all their bridges.
So fucking true. And likewise, many mentally ill people - and homeless people - make it really difficult and scary for other people to interact with them, let alone help. Like the saying, "the worst are always the loudest".
There are a ton of worthless social workers and mental health professionals, and I'd bet that a number of them didn't start out that way. But that's a whole other thing of it's own.
I think it's definitely rare to find someone who can remain patient and kind in the face of true mental illness. Even I'm no saint when it comes to that.
Although I actually think I've had it pretty easy (my mother never lashed out on me or was violent toward me in any way) I have a hard time not letting it get to me in a way that affects our relationship. The last time I saw her, a few months ago, she was in right mood before the visit, and it ended with her cussing at me, going off about nonsensical things, and walking away from me. I did not handle it well - I wasn't prepared for it, and it came out of nowhere. I just went home, and despite her apology over the phone, I still can't bring myself to visit her again yet.
I've met some really amazing social workers, but I haven't had much luck with those who work/ed with my mother. Most of her social workers, at one point or another, guilt trip me about the infrequency of our visits. It's so manipulative and ridiculous.
I may not see her more than twice or three times a year (because it's really emotionally trying and upsetting) but I've never been rude, too busy, ignored her calls, or made her empty promises.
Woah rant.
I'm gonna go sleep now.

Reactions: Rover

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads