Guitar on the road | Squat the Planet

Guitar on the road

E

Earth

ok, i dont know if this is going to help, but what the hell....
twenty, twenty five years ago - i was going to nyc alot via commuter train, subway, walking.... and it was not uncommon for me to be carrying three electric basses (this was back when i was somewhat in vogue as a session musician) which meant at least one of them was in some type of gig bag slung over a shoulder or worn like a backpack, which in retrospect was a real bad idea, because i was constantly knocking and stumbling into things, and the instruments suffered greatly for this.
so, if you have an instrument you really care about, carry it - as it will be less likely to get damaged - and yes, believe me, i realize that then your only other free hand is not free if you like strutting with a 40.......

NMNM

Reaction score
carry it. unless you have one of tho little 3/4 or junor guitars. i have a friend who travels with his violin and he just puts the strap between the straps on his backpack and swings his violin around to the front of the pack. never tried it with a full size guitar tho. probably bump into everything like earth said.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Yeah.. Unless you have a travel guitar..... Carry it.. I just sold a Martin today for 7 bucks cause two days ago hopping out I totally fucked it on a 53 ladder. Busted it to shit.. I didn't have a case tho.. Fuck roiling with a full size IMO.

Martin backpacker or Johnson traveler.
Traveler is much more comfy to play.

Unslap

Reaction score
Get a soft case and swing it over yo shoulder. Both hands free

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i've almost never carried guitars in cases. sure it helps protect them against the elements...but i find that i play it more when i don't have a case to keep it in. just get a good strap and sling it over yer shoulder.....altho it makes hopping trains a bitch

Doc Road

Reaction score
Ah, I like your style iamwhatiam, Keep it real bro.

up2eleven

Reaction score
I always carried mine in a case. Was kind of a pain in the ass, but then again, it was how I made money, so I wanted to keep it in good condition.

J

Johnny P

instruments with nicks and dings have character...my old mandolin had a nice dent in the bottom of the body and it gave it a unique sound...still in tune but it sounds a bit different than other mandolins

dylann

Reaction score
Im a little late I realize, But If its a small guitar like the one i have. You can just make a srtap and sling it sround your shoulder and it will rest easy against your pack

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you get a chance. Get a Martin Backpacker. Great sound, good for busking, light and easy to wear with a pack on, you can just sling it over your shoulder to one side. I am playing on in my avatar. I swear I made more money because people never see that kind of guitar, rather than my skill at playing. I hate carrying a damn guitar case =/

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
If you get a chance. Get a Martin Backpacker. Great sound, good for busking, light and easy to wear with a pack on, you can just sling it over your shoulder to one side. I am playing on in my avatar. I swear I made more money because people never see that kind of guitar, rather than my skill at playing. I hate carrying a damn guitar case =/

How is the action on those backpackers? I've heard some bad some good about it.

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How is the action on those backpackers? I've heard some bad some good about it.
The action is amazing in my opinion. Except past the twelfth fret, the it gets ridiculous. I do have to mention though, that I hitched 3000+ miles with that guitar in all weather with no case. And its still going strong, even with a cracked body.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads