greets

rhodey orbits

Reaction score
greets all,

a friend introduced me to stp many months ago, I lurked without an account for awhile, then with an account, and now I'm writing this. currently living in oakland, ca and enjoying it for the most part, previously I'd only lived around new england.

my passion is building radical tech, I moved out here originally to build up Open Whisper Systems (free, opensource, encrypted communication apps-- install them!) with some close friends and just recently decided to move onto different projects. now I've got a bunch of new found free time and a goal of changing my relationship with (capital w) Work.

working less and feeling ok about it has been difficult for me, first I think because most of my friends focus a lot on work, and second because the entire bay area seems obsessed by work, like, even well beyond the need to cope with the fucked up rental market. so, I've found myself taking more solo bike rides, solo bike camping trips, and solo nights of mischief than I'd like.

I'm hoping to find some more excellent friends and interesting situations in the bay area but also totally down to travel anywhere if the people and project are right. used to sail a lot, not so much recently, liveaboard community would be awesome someday.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I just attempted a bike trip, though I'll admit, it totally kicked my ass to the curb. Have you done any long distance, solo traveling before? Where would you ideally like to visit one day?

Sip

Reaction score
Yeah, a few of us kind of worship anyone with sailing skillz, it being the ultimate form of freedom, obviously. Welcome to the site. Seem like a cool addition to the community.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@rhodey orbits cool intro - and welcome!! And I love the solossssss - I have need of some solo bicycle sooooon..... :)

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
working less and feeling ok about it has been difficult for me, first I think because most of my friends focus a lot on work, and second because the entire bay area seems obsessed by work, like, even well beyond the need to cope with the fucked up rental market. so, I've found myself taking more solo bike rides, solo bike camping trips, and solo nights of mischief than I'd like.

ya man i hear you on that one , i feel the same way if iom not working , whether its getting paid doing work for someone else or not getting paid and wrking at something just for yourself,ive been pretty much out of work for a bit here, way broke and would like to make a little bit of cash to take down the road with,so wait,, i saw your last post, you in providence now? i go to providence here and there to hang , my friend pays me to drive him there. used to live in new bedford but i live in plymouth now, if you ever want to hang out grab a drink , hit me up

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads