Greetings!

dilligaf911

Reaction score
Alright, so a bit about myself.
I've been military for 17 years now. Coming up on an unfortunate career change soon (more later). I have been a firefighter for all that time, with the last year being a "Ground Safety Officer"...a military way of saying safety inspector, like OSHA safety stuff.

I used to skydive. Finances/family caused me to pack away my chute though. I used to teach it on weekends at my local DZ. I enjoy cooking...especially grilling. But recently I discovered I could make a mean loaf of bread. Really, any kind of cooking, and I enjoy it...I love food. I also like growing food. I learned when I was a kid, then I quit, but one day in order to lower our food expenses, I started planting and we did pretty well. I wish I had a place to grow lots of food. I love woodworking...making things. I've always said if you know how to make stuff, fix stuff, and grow stuff, you can make it in this world.

Politics: well, I've always been a registered Republican. But then I realized I was more a "constitutional conservative". As time went on I figured out that I was more libertarian than I thought I was. Recently, I have been studying up on "ecovillages" and other communal living environments. So what am I, politically? Hell if I know. I still consider myself as libertarian, but would love to check out living at one of these ecovillages.

Like I said before, I've been military for the past 17 years. However, I am facing a potential stint in prison (the brig) in the near future. Welp...there goes my career. Potentially my family too. Just to put it out there, because I am sure if convicted at court martial people will find out anyway, my allegations are sex-crime related. So if convicted (hard to fight any allegations of this type, so I am not expecting a victory in court), I will become an RSO. And since it will be by General Court Martial ((GCM) highest level military court martial), if convicted, it will be a felony. If you got convicted by GCM for "farting in public" (no that's not a crime), it is automatically a felony.

I am married...have been for over 13 years. I have a stepdaughter and 2 daughters. With my future charges (haven't been charged yet, but that's only because investigation is still open), my wife and kids have moved home to her parents' place. I am getting things ready at the house to pack and ship to her, and trying to tidy up financial affairs so that it impacts her the least bit possible. She has supported me through all this, and will always be there to support me. But if we remain married?...I don't know. After I-don't-know-how-many-year-of-brig-time, I don't know if she will still be married to me. I told her to divorce me, so opportunities open up to her to go to college as a single mother (she has been a stay-at-home wife for 12 years, so out of the workforce for that long). I told her that I would understand, that we have paid into the system, and that she is (or will be) in a position to legitimately need assistance. So take advantage of it. I also told her that if she divorces me, I will still consider us to still be "married" unless/until she tells me otherwise.

So I do have a question, for those of you who have traveled, squatted, etc. extensively. When I get out, where is the best place to get started again considering, of course, that I'll be an RSO and felon? I want to get back to contributing to society so that I can get back to contributing to my family, as quickly as possible. Any ideas?

K

Kim Chee

Three more years until retirement, ouch! I hope you didn't do the crime(s). The best thing I can think of is stay in contact with your family. If you have somebody post your address here after sentencing, perhaps you may get a couple letters. Hang in there.

dilligaf911

Reaction score
michael, it doesn't matter that I didn't do it. What will matter will be if I am convicted. That is what job providers see. That will be what people in general will see. Then only advice lawyers give is to plea it down. WHAT?!? So admit to a sex crime that didn't take place because it has lower penalty than another sex crime that didn't take place? I don't know yet if I will plea or fight. I guess that all depends on what the final charges are that they conjure up. The system has been distorted to the point where most people plea because taking it to trial ensures a stiffer penalty if convicted, so at least by plea bargaining it down, you are guaranteed a lighter sentence. In he-said-she-said cases, well one only needs to read the news to see how many innocents go to prison, even when they fight the charges. I am a man, alleged of a sex crime...guilty unless I can prove myself innocent. And it doesn't help that the military is on a crackdown on sexual assaults. Here I come...the poster-boy that will be used to make an example for others to see. Yeah. I am screwed...unwillingly...does that make the gov't guilty of a sex crime? LOL. Sorry...I have to make light of the situation where possible. I have been sick to my stomach the last few weeks upon realizing how screwed I am.

K

Kim Chee

It actually does matter that you didn't do the crime. It means the only victim is you and justice. As for your conscience, it is still intact as well as you know you aren't a perpetrator. As for the punishments that go with the conviction, you're right it really doesn't matter.

I'm not sure how Court Marshall procedure goes. When the investigation is complete, do you have the opportunity to file for discovery?

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Sorry dillgaf - I do hope all goes better than what you forecast. And I see you want a change in venues to a freedom where you have more control of your life - don't blame you at all but I hope you don't have to do it ... oh and mmmmmmmmmichael has sage advice

foxtailV

Reaction score
Yep ur got the cat in the bag and the tiger by the tail. JUSTICE just is.... whatever just is? Went through a felony trial and everybody that has so much to lose pleads guilty when innocent, defenders don't even care about Moral impertives... there not in the field or front , honor in the pencil neck is stuff 4 hollywood, but if u got money and then hence ur money has gained u influence and value to the more elites then yeah ur innocent till proven guilty...convenience is how they will decide.A convenient move, they will move where they save themselves while putting themselves in the least way of harm, Opposite from a average citizen or Fireman who is in courage to bring out the alltrustic instincts of risking ones life. I hated pleading guilty but there is no fair way to deal with masses except a blanket system of protocall, imagine how the masses would react to so many innocents being corn holed against there admissions, so they made this plea deal to use as a buffer from the masses psychology, we admit defeat try to forget and move on all the while the masses aren't riled to restlessness and revolt.

dilligaf911

Reaction score
mmmmmichael, as for discovery, the prosecution must give us any "evidence" 5 days before trial.

Tude, I too SOOOOO hope it doesn't go as I've forecast. But I am a firm believer in "prepare for the worst, hope for the best." So my "best" I hope for: not facing any kind of conviction, and drive on with my life. My preparation for the "worst": try to figure out what I will do when I get out, so that I can start contributing to my family again. It is definitely not fair to them, and the sooner I can get out and start making money to support them (and move back with them, if that option is open), the better.

foxtailV, this "judicial" system we have quit being for "justice" when they started creating "minimum mandated sentences" and raising maximum sentences. If one knows that they are facing up to, say, 40 years if it goes to trial and they are convicted, when they are offered 2, 5, or 10 years for a plea...well the difference of 30 to 38 years is HUGE. I don't know what my mins/maxes would be, as I haven't seen final charges. But I am sure I will be faced with a similar dilemma. At this point, the only thing I have even sort of going for me is it is a "he said, she said" thing...and that's not really "for" me. The bad thing going against me is that I was in the wrong place, wrong time. My argument was, why now....after two years after they claim this happened? But statute of limitations allows a claim to be made so late in the game. I understood why they extended statutes of limitations...so many people are sexually assaulted and fear for their lives. It sometimes isn't until much later they find the courage to face their perpetrator. But being on the other end of it now, I now see how this can get someone wrongfully "strung up".

But I digress. Thanks all for your thoughts. My main quest on here is to see if anyone knows of jobs, industries, and especially locations where one in my boat would be able to find an honest job earning a decent wage. It doesn't even have to be great pay...just enough to live off of...then eventually climb up to a better paying job. Even a "poverty level" job (19, 20, 25k a year) would be sufficient for me. If I am living with my family, it will help contribute to their well-being. If I am not, then I would go homeless and buy only the necessities of life (food, clothing, and hygiene) while frequenting shelters, squats, or shantyvilles. I would save up any money I could after necessities are paid for, then eventually find a small plot of land outside of city limits (and, thus building codes), and build a "tiny house".

But before I could go with either plan, I'd need to find a decent job. Willing to bust my ass. Capable and willing to learn anything.

xyth

Reaction score
What state are you in? I bring this up cause I discovered through a homie doin minute out in Washington that if you serve like 15yrs or so you're considered disabled and can collect state benefits. You would get a check every month not much but it's something. Would recommend looking into that for whatever state you're in see if they have something like that.

dilligaf911

Reaction score
xyth, it doesn't matter what state I am in. What your friend is referring to is VA treatment for injuries, illnesses, etc, sustained from any "honorable" periods of service. Since I have 17 years in, I have four honorable discharges (with immediate reenlistment). Oh, I WILL maximize my VA claim. It's not a check...it's just free medical for those items that you claim. I will claim everything I can out of my medical record. Thanks for the tip.

michael, already looking into that. Thanks for the tip, though. Definitely something I will seek out. I am finding, though, that even most trucking companies are denying jobs, until at least 5 or 10 years. But it is worth noting, and if I still have a hard time finding or holding a job, that is definitely up my alley!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads