greetings from bumfuck minnesota!

meathook

Reaction score
long time lurker, first time poster- so what up though, StP? i'm a 17 year old hailing from a typical midwestern small town, who's just looking to make some deeper connections in the traveling community and continue to learn about how to stay safe on the road, specifically while riding the big metal snake, until i finally make my way out of this suburban black hole. i like to bike, spin poi, hoop dance, wander the tracks and my local yard, make art, and i play a mean spoons, although i'm hoping to pick up some more instruments. i just graduated high school, and for now i have no plans for the future, besides getting out of here [preferably by catching out] at the first possible opportunity. although i realize my age makes it quite a bit more risky i like to hope that i've got a good head on my shoulders and at least a vague idea of what the fuck i'm doing and how to stay out of trouble, even though the farthest i've dared to ride is about 5 blocks. for now, i look forward to learning from and contributing to these forums. peace!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sweet, nice to have you here! are you planning on traveling before you're 18, or waiting until the state deems you "legal"? just curious.

meathook

Reaction score
Where in Minnesota you from? I am currently in Minneapolis, but, grew up in the south suburbs! Ha.
i'm from northfield! we got a whole bunch of dirty kids from here and a whole bunch more who ride on through here all summer, so i got bit with the bug early. how about yourself?

sweet, nice to have you here! are you planning on traveling before you're 18, or waiting until the state deems you "legal"? just curious.
i'm not sure yet! my main hang-up is that i don't want to travel alone for my first time, and the group of kids that left this season didn't want to bring a minor with them. in fact, they told me that hitching and hopping as a minor was likely to get me either shipped back home in a van with bars on the windows, or locked up somewhere. so that made me a little nervous... problem is, the urge to experience the world is getting harder and harder to ignore... :)

scatwomb

Reaction score
Well, like I said, I am currently in Minneapolis. I am living in the Prospect Park neighborhood near the University of Minnesota until January, when I will be moving to Eugene, OR. Most of my youth was spent in Burnsville, though. Which, well....you can imagine how awesome that was!

Northfield is not a bad place, but, I totally understand and sympathize with your wanderlust. Take that train a little longer each time and when you reach 18, you'll go far far far away.

Minneapolis has some pretty sweet places for travelin' types - as you probably already know.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Can you make it up to Minne? Wanna come out West with me and Shoestring? We are going to hit Wenatchee Washington maybe do some apple picking, I want to get a free vas through WA state, both of us have to head east at diff times. Be coming thru like 2 or 3 days

scatwomb

Reaction score
Can you make it up to Minne? Wanna come out West with me and Shoestring? We are going to hit Wenatchee Washington maybe do some apple picking, I want to get a free vas through WA state, both of us have to head east at diff times. Be coming thru like 2 or 3 days

Oh man, I am planning on heading out west in the beginning of August and am looking for some people to go with! Hope you have a good trip!

bicycle

Reaction score
welcome to the board, nice to have another poi spinner here!
What do you spin?

JIMBO

Reaction score
long time lurker, first time poster- so what up though, StP? i'm a 17 year old hailing from a typical midwestern small town, who's just looking to make some deeper connections in the traveling community and continue to learn about how to stay safe on the road, specifically while riding the big metal snake, until i finally make my way out of this suburban black hole. i like to bike, spin poi, hoop dance, wander the tracks and my local yard, make art, and i play a mean spoons, although i'm hoping to pick up some more instruments. i just graduated high school, and for now i have no plans for the future, besides getting out of here [preferably by catching out] at the first possible opportunity. although i realize my age makes it quite a bit more risky i like to hope that i've got a good head on my shoulders and at least a vague idea of what the fuck i'm doing and how to stay out of trouble, even though the farthest i've dared to ride is about 5 blocks. for now, i look forward to learning from and contributing to these forums. peace!
Love the spoons. we should get together and jam.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm not sure yet! my main hang-up is that i don't want to travel alone for my first time, and the group of kids that left this season didn't want to bring a minor with them. in fact, they told me that hitching and hopping as a minor was likely to get me either shipped back home in a van with bars on the windows, or locked up somewhere. so that made me a little nervous... problem is, the urge to experience the world is getting harder and harder to ignore... :)

id recommend waiting till you're 18 to avoid any trouble if that isn't too far away. otherwise the safest way to travel would be rubber tramping with some other folks that know how to stay out of trouble.

1544c

Reaction score
Minnesota kids unite! i'm from Winona MN
heading to California as late as September... i'll be rollin' on the UP mid-line. But i'll be up in the Twin Shitties in a week or so... down to hang out if anyone wants to contact me

as for traveling under 18... wait till you're 18.

meathook

Reaction score
welcome to the board, nice to have another poi spinner here!
What do you spin?
hell yeah, i love spinning of all kinds! i spin poi, hoops, and mini hoops. i think next i'm going to try making a staff, or buugeng. do you spin more than just poi?

Love the spoons! Im a traveling musician as well. we should get together and jam!
spoons are so much fun! portable, easy to play, they have a great sound, and they double as an eating utensil, haha. i'm always down for a jam session. lately i've been picking up washboard too, but i need to acquire my own and stop bumming my friend's.

and thanks for the welcome, guys! it's great to be here. these forums are super useful, and everyone here is incredibly friendly and rad in general. as for traveling, i think for now i may have gotten a second job [eek] and a new place to live [double eek] so i'll be staying put at least til i become an "adult" in november. i look forward to hanging out on this website until then!

bicycle

Reaction score
no i just spin poi, usualy 2 big onions in long socks, and have done fire poi a couple of times too.
im actualy also thinking about starting staff maybe and i like flag poi too, but never used it.

meathook

Reaction score
nice! i use bags of rice in bandannas, tied to shoelaces. i've never done fire before, but i've only been spinning poi for a couple months, so i'm definitely not ready. the fun thing about spinning is that the basic movements are all the same no matter what toy you're using, so once you get the hang of one kind, it's super easy to pick up a new one.

dprogram

Reaction score
Man I'm such an old raver/freak. I never knew what poi was until today. We used to spin glow sticks at parties and then got into fire and fire spitting (whatever that's called). Good times. =) oh and welcome...I'm a newbie too! Although I'm an old fart.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads