Greenhorn… finally free. | Squat the Planet

Greenhorn… finally free.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
NYC is one if not the best place in the country to be homeless, minus the freezing ass cold winters. There are a lot of programs here that can help you as well as a lot of dumpster diving spots that you can and will get fat off of.

If you're under 25, I suggest starting as 33 Essex Street in Chinatown, they a drop in for homeless youth and they helped me out with a ton of things when I was homeless, even got me on section 8 and social security. If this isn't an option, I would still go there or call and ask them for a referral to other programs, they're under SafeHorizon so they should know where to send you.

• Useful
Reactions: Dmac

lucifer

Disciple
Reaction score
NYC is one if not the best place in the country to be homeless, minus the freezing ass cold winters. There are a lot of programs here that can help you as well as a lot of dumpster diving spots that you can and will get fat off of.

If you're under 25, I suggest starting as 33 Essex Street in Chinatown, they a drop in for homeless youth and they helped me out with a ton of things when I was homeless, even got me on section 8 and social security. If this isn't an option, I would still go there or call and ask them for a referral to other programs, they're under SafeHorizon so they should know where to send you.

Yeah I’m 22. I’ve been unemployed for a year in May. Just dipped from my toxic girlfriend this morning. I’m headed to urban upbound today to see about whatever job they can get me in. I’ll stop by 33 Essex after that. I’ve got a pack with me I’ll need to protect too. Any tips?

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Yeah I’m 22. I’ve been unemployed for a year in May. Just dipped from my toxic girlfriend this morning. I’m headed to urban upbound today to see about whatever job they can get me in. I’ll stop by 33 Essex after that. I’ve got a pack with me I’ll need to protect too. Any tips?

Most people aren't gonna fuck with your pack. Keep all of your electronics hidden or in sight at all times. You're gonna need to carry it with you most places, do not just stash it somewhere in the city, a cleaner or homebum will almost always find it and toss it or throw everything everywhere looking for drugs/alcohol/money.
StreetWorks will hold money for you if you ask, they have a safe downstairs and they can also hold clothes in your case manager's office if they have room. I recommend finding a scale and weighting yourself, eliminate as much as you can from your pack, keeping ~10 to 15% of your body weight until you can handle a heavier pack.
You might also come across rolling luggage in some of the richer parts of town that has nothing wrong with it or it's slightly damaged. They're very useful for heavy shit and I think StreetWorks might occasionally have them? Not sure.

If you wanna dumpster dive I can probably teach you a ton, I can walk up to most piles of trash and kick them and tell by weight what has food or doesn't, I can also show you some of my old spots from Occupy Wall Street that are still around, as well as a few I'm not trying to blast out to the public but I'm more than willing to share with people in need.

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads