Greatest backpack ever made?

David1

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

R3d

Simulacrum
Reaction score
For those interested in a smaller pack that's neither cheap nor expensive (if that makes any sense) the LL Bean Continental is 33L, 2.5 pounds plus whatever you can strap to it (I've seen a couple of cool mods to accommodate extra gear). It's like a shrunk-down version of a larger trekking pack: L.L.Bean Continental Rucksack - https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/122952?page=l-l-bean-continental-rucksack&bc=50-816-818&feat=818-GN2&csp=f

The LL Bean warranty isn't what it used to be but I'm pretty sure if you legit beat your pack to death, they'll give you a new one. Then again so will Osprey.

Last edited:

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
I use what's called the Soviet veshmeshok. It's been in production since the 1880s and is still used to this day by the military and Russian hikers etc. I get mine for about 25$ on eBay and some times they are here in the US other times they are in the Soviet Union . It's basically a potato sack with one big strap that is used to tie the bag down then used.as shoulder straps. It's 40 liters of space and you can have a bed roll around it with 4 smaller straps for that purpose..the pic below shows a modded veshmeshok but it's basically the same thing just a different color

Attachments

• 1782e.jpg
    1782e.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 631
D

Deleted member 125

I use what's called the Soviet veshmeshok. It's been in production since the 1880s and is still used to this day by the military and Russian hikers etc. I get mine for about 25$ on eBay and some times they are here in the US other times they are in the Soviet Union . It's basically a potato sack with one big strap that is used to tie the bag down then used.as shoulder straps. It's 40 liters of space and you can have a bed roll around it with 4 smaller straps for that purpose..the pic below shows a modded veshmeshok but it's basically the same thing just a different color

that looks more or less like a us military pickle bag. no shoulder padding, no hip belt/sternum strap, one external pocket (from what i can see from the pic), no frame of any kind. i mean...are you trying to be uncomfortable?

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
that looks more or less like a us military pickle bag. no shoulder padding, no hip belt/sternum strap, one external pocket (from what i can see from the pic), no frame of any kind. i mean...are you trying to be uncomfortable?

I can understand what your sayin and yes it basically is a pickle bag ( I call it the grandfather of pickle bags ) but at the same time you have to look at it from a minimalist point of view. The Soviets massed produce these so much that I'm gonna buy a few more to expirment with to come up with new ideas. For me I used it as light traveling as well as dumpster diving and trash picking .

MFB

Reaction score
Im bored so Ill throw my vote in.

I had an Osprey atmos 55 L that was the best pack ever. Lasted 5 yrs in the height of my travel days. Very comfy, light, small enough that I couldnt fit more than I needed, all kinds of fun pockets, and the shoulders snaps always smelled like my stanky armpits.

Bitch

Reaction score
Well worth picking this up if your gear will fit. It has been good for me to travel with and is under any international bag size restrictions so carry on approved. Hidden zip pockets in two locations and divider is perfect for separating change of clothes from camping gear. Won't hold much more than a couple days food but has really versatile straps etc a 1/5 or water bottle pocket and all zippers meet at one place to lock. It's my 4 season bag but space is limited and a zipper failure would be super detrimental. Padded back panel holds sleep pad and makes accessing inside really easy

trashswag86

Reaction score
If you want that kind of "suitcase access", consider the Kelty Redwing. It comes in multiple sizes. 50 liter is the largest.

I got it used (brand new condition, though) on Amazon for 50 bucks. I think they retail at 140 or 150 or something.

Attachments

• 20200329_114513.jpg
    20200329_114513.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 347

blankityblank

Reaction score
I got an osprey 65. I also have a marmot 40 I think. Osprey is kinda the shit for having a lifetime warranty for any reason. That defintely factored into why I dropped money like that on it. As long as it doesnt get stolen/lost I should have it forever. The back support system is really nice. I would rather have empty room than not enough room but lugging a huge pack around for like a 3 day trip would be annoying

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads