Good reads

C

Code Name Mary

I recently finished reading "I, Lucifer" which is amazing and poetic and hysterically funny/vulgar/disgusting it's narrated by the devil himself...supposedly. Another excellent read is shutter babe, complete with photo's it's about a photo journalist and all of her amazing adventures and travels. And all of it's true so it makes that much better. I have been meaning to read dharma punx...any body know if it's any good?

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
don't know about dharma punx, but Kerouac's Dharma Bums kicks ass. written in a frenzy of eleven day manic typing sessions, he rails on about the urban houses, and cookie cutter life style he was beginning to see in america, and which we are witnessing even more. def.l check it out.

J

jaysin66

i just finished reading dharma punx......its pretty good......gets a bit preachy at the ends.......like one of those free spiratual books they give you in prison......

5ifth

i agree with bendix
dharma bums is a great read

che guevera's motorcycle diaries is a great book too

i would also reccomend anthony bordain's a cooks tour

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
OHH... 5th... if I follow you home will you have premarital sex mith me?:p Jk.

I love moto diaries

but there's nothin like bourdain. I can pick up cook's tour, or his Kitchen Confidential and open it to anywhere, and know exacty where he is and what he's talkin about. I know i'm predjudiced cause I'm a cook, but I reccomend these to everyone who ever worked in a kitchen... fuckin priceless.

5ifth

i saw anthony bourdain give a reading when he was going around promoting a cooks tour - he was great
and totally, if you have ever worked as a cook, waiter, whatever in a resteraunt kitchen confidential is the best - and if not, its a real insight into the underbelly of the food industry

everyone who considers themself a punk should read these two books.

darmha punks
and
hardcore zen

i don't think i spelled darmha right. and i think they're by the same author. definatly chekc them out.

R

repulsive_culture

Kurt Vonnegut has some really good stuff. My personal favorite is Breakfast of Champions, it takes an average american shithole suburb and shows how disgusting american culture is.

and by the way i just read that he passed away yesterday, so go read some of his books in remberance of a great author, who fucked mainstream literature.

5ifth

Kurt Vonnegut RIP

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-Kurt Vonnegut

now there's an epitaph

i haven't yet, but i'd like to pick up a copy of his last book, A Man Without a Country.

B

bakerdoo

Vonnegut is good

i have been reading some good Charles Bukowski (women and ham on rye) hes a great poet as well

THe other book i love is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboski

So many good ones out there

R

repulsive_culture

5ifth wrote:
i haven't yet, but i'd like to pick up a copy of his last book, A Man Without a Country.

I have it, it's mostly him talking about current politics and the bush admin. I need to go finish it

O

otgetdw

5ifth wrote:
Kurt Vonnegut RIP

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-Kurt Vonnegut

now there's an epitaph

when did he die? and where did he write that "the only proof he needed..."?

i'd like to read that.

i love science fiction a lot i think it's the best ever i recommend "the martian chronicles" by ray bradbury it's pretty interesting and crazy like. the best part about science fiction is that most of the time it's so extremely political from the view of the author but like crazy skewed because they're all sci-fi-ed and most often in the future GAAAh i love it.

Philip K. Dick is always a killer as well. philip k. dick is oh so awesome.

i also read Something Wicked this way comes by bradbury it's not sci fi it's dark fantasy and it's pretty good.

my favorite thing i've read EVER is this short sci fi story called DESERTION by Clifford D Simak written in 1944 kinda hard to believe SO AHEAD OF IT'S TIME i have it in this collective of sci fi stories called "THE OXFORD BOOK OF SCIENCE FICTION STORIES" that i somehow aquired from my school..

if you read it don't worry it starts off all sci-fi geek like just so the geeks can get off but then he goes out onto jupiter with his dog and it totally pulls a 180 and becomes the best story i've ever read ever.

O

otgetdw

5ifth wrote:
Kurt Vonnegut RIP

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-Kurt Vonnegut

now there's an epitaph

when did he die? and where did he write that "the only proof he needed..."?

i'd like to read that.

i love science fiction a lot i think it's the best ever i recommend "the martian chronicles" by ray bradbury it's pretty interesting and crazy like. the best part about science fiction is that most of the time it's so extremely political from the view of the author but like crazy skewed because they're all sci-fi-ed and most often in the future GAAAh i love it.

Philip K. Dick is always a killer as well. philip k. dick is oh so awesome.

i also read Something Wicked this way comes by bradbury it's not sci fi it's dark fantasy and it's pretty good.

my favorite thing i've read EVER is this short sci fi story called DESERTION by Clifford D Simak written in 1944 kinda hard to believe SO AHEAD OF IT'S TIME i have it in this collective of sci fi stories called "THE OXFORD BOOK OF SCIENCE FICTION STORIES" that i somehow aquired from my school..

if you read it don't worry it starts off all sci-fi geek like just so the geeks can get off but then he goes out onto jupiter with his dog and it totally pulls a 180 and becomes the best story i've ever read ever.

X

xmattx

Cush wrote:
not posi. if there is any type of store that you shouldn't steal from, but should support, it's bookstores. yes they may be major corperations but all the major bookstore chains (borders, barns n nobles, waldenbooks) are all great companies. they treat thier employees very well, they offer nothing but the best things in the world, and they don't exploit anyone in the process. i don't care how much punk credit i lose by supporting a major corperation, I love borders and i'll do what i can to support them. same thing for barnes and noble.[/quote]

i agree with mattpist whole heartedly on this. he pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Bendixontherails wrote:
don't know about dharma punx, but Kerouac's Dharma Bums kicks ass. written in a frenzy of eleven day manic typing sessions, he rails on about
the urban houses, and cookie cutter life style he was beginning to see in america, and which we are witnessing even more. def.l check it out.

i really dislike dharma bums. not only is kerouac sexist as shit, the book was kind of boring. the whole 'dharma bums' concept is kinda lame.

Mady wrote:
Igniting a Revolution....

this book is pretty killer, and i recommend it just as much as mady does.

repulsive_culture wrote:
Kurt Vonnegut has some really good stuff. My personal favorite is Breakfast of Champions, it takes an average american shithole suburb and shows how disgusting american culture is.

he wrote a short story called 'harrison bergeron' which i very highly suggest.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i just recently read "neuromancer" by william gibson. probably one of the best sci-fi books ive ever read. he basically coined the term 'cyberspace' and a lot of other internet terms we use today.

S

savage_brad

fear and loathing in las vegas by hunter s thompson is one of my favs.
im about halfway through breakfast of champions which is good so far.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads