Good Morning, Aristocrats | Squat the Planet

Good Morning, Aristocrats

TheCoyoteKing

Reaction score
I'm introducing myself formally after a year or two of lurking and contributing nothing of value, yet it is with a heavy heart that I do so; you see, I am not currently moving and have no plans to do so in the immediate future. Having said that, if you'll indulge me a moment I will spell you a little tale...

I am nearly twenty-seven years old and have spent the better part of my life-somewhere around seventeen years, in fact-insulated comfortably in the suburbs surrounding Denver. I've led an uninspired, mundane life complete with long-term relationships that couldn't thaw ice and jobs that couldn't stimulate a fruit fly. Likely this seems familiar to some of you. Life went on much this way for many years, yet always leaving me with a profound sense of dis-ease; as though no matter what I did, I could never quite fit into the puzzle I was left with.

Some time ago, I discovered radical politics, and that helped alleviate some of the symptoms; at the very least it allowed me to blame someone else. As usual, though, I eventually ended up placing myself into an extraordinarily extreme position on this that left me back where I started-isolated and bored. I was, and am, that douchebag who can't just let people enjoy themselves and their little past-times without talk of domestication or civilization; I am the anarchist your anarchist friends hate.

This seemed a fruitless development in my life until the summer of last year. I was just coming out of a comfortable and overall healthy long-term relationship of one and a half years when, for no good reason I can identify, I snapped; my bi-polar "disorder" kicked into high manic gear and left yours truly, ever a paragon of social anxiety and introversion (INTP, watwat) hopping bars with strangers, meeting random women, drinking like a fish, the whole nine yards. I bit off more than I could chew, though, when I met one in particular.

She was my age and obviously of a different background; young, attractive, highly extroverted, intelligent, spontaneous; all the qualities I desired to see in manifesting in me. By unintentionally mirroring my ideal self, she set the state for the crush of a lifetime; this may not have been the worst thing if her and I were more emotionally stable, but we were not, so after the most exciting week of my life, it was over.

After years of emotional repression and inexplicable pride in my impartiality, I was brought to my knees at last. I spent the next week on the verge of suicide, unable to accept that I'd been had. Eventually I had to call my psychologist from years prior to snap out of it.

Long (sorry) story short, I recovered, as I always seem to. Once I got over hating her and every rock she stepped on, I realized quickly that despite the immense pain, I saw in that experience something I hadn't before; I saw myself living. Like, really doing so. It lit a spark that has stayed with me ever since. As a result, I started formulating a plan to challenge myself with the unexpected.

By December of last year, it was laid out; in May of this year, I would pack a few things and hit the road. Shortly after I discovered this website, and that helped solidify this. I was making preparations and readying myself to begin purchasing gear when in February of this year, my incessant browsing of OkCupid bit me again and I met one of the coolest women on the planet.

Young, beautiful, blonde, curvaceous, intelligent, experienced. Perfect combination. It was immediately apparent that she was not the usual Colorado stock; this had become increasingly important to me now. Metal music, World of Warcraft, social issues; we vibed on it all. At this point, I wish I could tell you we had a chaotic falling out, or that she cheated on me, or that I cheated on her and did myself in; but I cannot.

The reason for my heavy heart is that her and I are still together, and despite my overwhelming feelings for her, that old bug is calling me. This is made worse by the fact that slowly but surely I see in her the domesticated urges for security, safety, money, climate-control. Our initial conversations revolved around our both rubber tramping together, but that has since become living with four other people in a crummy house, pursuing careers, paying bills... hmm. These things alone are not in themselves bad, perhaps, but they began a bellowing assault to one whose only desire is too feel the wind, and I mean really feel the wind for a change, if you catch my drift.

Yet again, I am allowing myself to drift back into my old ways.

Well, what was meant to be a short intro turned into a lengthy essay; I'll cut my story off there, as it's degraded into panicked rambling. Anyway, you get the picture. I've been saying for over a year now that the first chance I get, I am hitting the road, be it by foot, by van or by motorcycle. I'm just starting to see that I may have to actively make it happen.

Hope y'all understand. Look forward to seeing what's up, meeting some folks here, learning some things. Even if I end up never leaving this suburban hell, I could probably use to had a hard day for once, no?

Much love, The Coyote King

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 125

at the begining of yer intro you say you have no plans to move, and at the end up say you plan to by the end of it, did you just talk yerself into traveling?

either way welcome to stp.

TravellerNick

Reaction score
Wow, great story. Ive gotta say, you've only got one life and it sounds like you're on your way to living it. Incidentally, my last gf left because she couldn't keep up with my travel plans, it's a good thing really.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
cool on the motorcycle thing. Its one I've been mauling over too and dont see too much talk about around here. just got to come up with an economical but safe way for the mutt to go along.

currently fixing up a hodge podge ex500 I was given.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
sweet. like KLR or vstrom? its how I am with my old fz6. shoulda never got rid of it.

me a few old friends used to race the 500's. They're solid as shit, cheap, good on gas, but enough power to get going decently.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well - welcome to STP and I am glad you have read and used the great info here to prep for potential trip and that's ok, hey you can use that equipment for a camping trip etc, but I hope you make the decisions that you need/want to do for your future and just be happy. :)

salxtina

Reaction score
"These things alone are not in themselves bad, perhaps, but they began a bellowing assault to one whose only desire is too feel the wind, and I mean really feel the wind for a change, if you catch my drift."

I mean, unless she's expecting *you* to pay her bills I can't really catch how it's an attack on you... Somebody wanting to live in a house with their friends shouldn't be a threat to your travel plans, you're 26, you can do it on your own. Good luck.

TheCoyoteKing

Reaction score
sweet. like KLR or vstrom? its how I am with my old fz6. shoulda never got rid of it.

me a few old friends used to race the 500's. They're solid as shit, cheap, good on gas, but enough power to get going decently.

KLR or DR is the dream, tbh. Have considered a Nighthawk as well. Not big on cruisers. Not a day goes by I don't miss my little Ninja.

TheCoyoteKing

Reaction score
"These things alone are not in themselves bad, perhaps, but they began a bellowing assault to one whose only desire is too feel the wind, and I mean really feel the wind for a change, if you catch my drift."

I mean, unless she's expecting *you* to pay her bills I can't really catch how it's an attack on you... Somebody wanting to live in a house with their friends shouldn't be a threat to your travel plans, you're 26, you can do it on your own. Good luck.

I don't blame her. She makes quadruple what I make in a month, so she's got it covered. Not a direct assault; more an assault by proxy, like being assaulted by a storm you didn't anticipate.

My intent was always to set out alone and meet people on the way. I'm quite sure she wouldn't join me. Despite her faults, she's a bit of a gem, and it's hard for me to walk away from them. They're so rare. And I got my own faults.

Hell, the only reason I type this well is because I spent twelve years addicted to internet gaming, forum-based roleplay and cyb0rzing the ever-loving shit out of every night elf under the Azerothian moons.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
KLR or DR is the dream, tbh. Have considered a Nighthawk as well. Not big on cruisers. Not a day goes by I don't miss my little Ninja.

As in a drz? Theyre kinda shit IMO. Road a super moto version around all summer. Was a customers in the bike shop I work in seasonally. Heavy, underpowered turd...for what they go for.

Honda released a bunch of cheap bikes a few years ago. They got 500 parallel twin dual sport.

Frankly ex500's are so cheap you can slap some dual port tires on it with an sv650 shock for under $1k same goes for Sv650's

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
You can buy my little project for $200 :) needs a subframe

Attachments

• IMG_20160724_131719.jpg
    IMG_20160724_131719.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 212

TheCoyoteKing

Reaction score
Nah, I rode the DRZ. I like it but if I were gonna get a smaller DS I'd just get a KTM and get it over with, haha. Unless they bring them bigger Husqies to the states.

I was referring instead to the DR650. If I were gonna go power-milin' on a moto, I'd probably want the wind protection of the KLR. DR is a local bike.

I like Honda's new bikes but I did the old tractors that only a mother could love.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
For some reason I thought you said a DZ..lol. I'm like surely he means a drz..

Ever rode a Strom? Heavy compared to klr but super comfy and plenty of touring goodies avail. They're just nice ass bikes IMO. See dudes drag a knee on knobbies too lol.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads