Going to denver homeless

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Avoid camping near other people if you want to avoid anything of yours getting stolen. Anything that you can't carry with you, at any time left unattended is at risk of being stolen, so keep that in mind. You're definitely going to want clothing and a sleeping bag suitable for the cold temperatures, and probably a portable propane heater or stove. If you need to keep a phone charged, a small portable solar panel with a USB port will be valuable. If you can't afford those things, it will be a lot harder.

Normally, I'd advise finding an abandoned building to camp out in, but I'm not familiar with the Denver area or what is available there, so while doing such worked for my unique set of circumstances, that may or may not be bad advice for your set of circumstances. When I was homeless, it was in a warm climate in South Texas.

Always make sure you can pack all your things up in minutes and relocate. Anywhere you camp can attract other homeless people, who may steal from you, or could attract law enforcement who might harass and/or arrest you. Anyone that sees you enter your camp location is a potential snitch, thief, or worse.

Having spare sets of socks goes a long way toward not feeling filthy, in the event that you don't get to bathe often. Wet wipes are good for cleaning yourself if you can't access shower facilities. Carry at least 3 sets of clothes. One to wear, one to change into after you get cleaned up if given the chance, one as emergency backup.

A bicycle kept in usable condition will go a very long way toward helping you carry out day to day tasks and to help carry your stuff efficiently. I'd highly recommend one for transportation so you can avoid having to pay for the bus.

Monkeytits86

Reaction score
Just moved from Denver....not trolling, but 100% honesty...you are going to need to navigate the shelter system..it's not to hard though...the authorities are really cracking down on encampment, and with the extreme weather a heater or stove would be smart but not advised as lots of fires have been happening in camps...a good way to accidentally get an arson charge ( or hurt yourself or others)

That being said...Denver rescue mission on Park Ave downtown starts lining up for a bed around 5pm and does last call at around 8pm. Keep your possessions close, don't get caught up in all the tweaker drama, and be cool with lights and noise because DRM is a little like jail with no locked doors. ( not knocking jail )

Denver has always been cool to bum for me if you can avoid the bad weather ( spring / summer) . There is a not cool narcotics element there, that can be dangerous, but I would take Denver over LA or SF anyday in that aspect.

Lots of really decent church people and feeds, good day work opportunities, cheap cheap weed. Girls with bad attitudes...my kind of place!

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
@jbuck2585 I tried this exact move back in 2014 before i had experience with homelessness. i had a lot of shit and it was extremely overwhelming i was not used to being around so many tweakers. I only lasted a few days before calling auntie to buy me a bus ticket and 'save me'. In my opinion being houseless near cities is fucking terrible. If you know the area and know what you are doing it can be comfortable, but when you first get there figuring everything out is liekly just going to be a huge uphill battle, so be prepared. You can do any you put your mind to if you have the wherewithal, I dont know your experience level with this stuff but i had a real bad time there.

Reactions: AyeAaron

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Had a good time in Colorado, advice would be pretty variable depending on your experience and how you're trying to live.

Its hard to camp out there, I prefer being out in nature away from town and that would put you squarely in the mountains dealing with real cold and likely The Fear, camping solo in the rockies isn't for everyone.

I stayed in town for the most part and had to wiggle my way in for a few sleepless days, stashing my sleeping gear and not hanging out where I slept. Found a job and would bike to get about, made a lot of friends and had trouble with tweakers which never really blew up.

In the end you'll manage, just don't freeze or get yourself beat up

sweeps

Reaction score
Denver is tricky. As others have stated, the local authorities are cracking down on encampments, so I would plan on moving pretty often so as not to draw attention.

Personally I have found having a hammock is useful for this purpose but with your dog, I bet you prefer tents. I'd suggest a pop up one you can put up and take down very quickly.

I would personally stay away from Denver parks which will be regularly patrolled. You'll have more opportunities in surrounding areas like Lakewood and Aurora. The parks in these areas are LESS likely to be patrolled as stringently but still be cautious.

If you have to stay in Denver proper, the train stations make good waypoints, they have shelter and some have outlets. I am not sure if dogs are allowed though, don't recall seeing any in the stations. I know Amtrak has a 20lb limit (dog and carrier combined).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads