Going from Utah to Arkansas, any tips?

CrustLord1984

Reaction score
I'm trying to make it from Utah to Arkansas sometime soon, but I've never hitchhiked that far and at the moment the Greyhound is out of my budget range. I'm not sure if I should try to jump on there without anyone noticing, or if I should not go that route and just train hop my way there. I haven't found any good trains to hop that are going that way though. I just need some advice because this state isn't very good for houseless people and I want to get out ASAP

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: transcendentalhobo

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
I'm trying to make it from Utah to Arkansas sometime soon, but I've never hitchhiked that far and at the moment the Greyhound is out of my budget range. I'm not sure if I should try to jump on there without anyone noticing, or if I should not go that route and just train hop my way there. I haven't found any good trains to hop that are going that way though. I just need some advice because this state isn't very good for houseless people and I want to get out ASAP

I hitched from Tucson through Texas fairly easily back in 2017... but it seems like hitchhiking has been really hard since the COVID went pandemic. Luckily I haven't had to hitch since 2019.

I've also heard hitchhiking in Utah at least historically was easier than many places. Hitchhiking in northern Arizona around Flagstaff was fairly easy for me back around 2013, but similarly I have no idea what it's like now.

Please keep us updated!

• Useful
Reactions: CrustLord1984

CrustLord1984

Reaction score
Me and a close friend of mine are planning on waiting around one of the Salt Lake City railyards until we see one that goes east through Wendover and then to Nevada. From what I know, there should be some grainers with a unit/ cabin in it so that could be a pretty good ride. My friend has done a lot of train hopping and is far more experienced than I am, but I have done it a few times. We have some rail maps and have scouted out a few good places to hide while waiting for the trains to stop. Fingers crossed that it will go well. If that won't work, we'll have to hitch a ride. I was thinking of renting a U-Haul for a bit to stay in and travel in. I'm kinda scared of hitch hiking due to some of my friends past experiences with the drivers, but if I have to, I will. Will keep you posted

train in vain

Reaction score
where in arkansas? i can probably point yall in the right direction train wise.

Uhauls are fucking expensive btw.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
If your gonna hitch just make sure your conscience is clear and do the right thing. What you project will come around. Abracadabra I create what I speak. Just throw your thumb out and have a destination. I've hitched slc out before to east coast. You'll make it. Good luck good health safe travels. Or go to a day labor for a few days and grab a ticket/cheap flight.

BillyOtea

Reaction score
I hitched from Tucson through Texas fairly easily back in 2017... but it seems like hitchhiking has been really hard since the COVID went pandemic. Luckily I haven't had to hitch since 2019.

I've also heard hitchhiking in Utah at least historically was easier than many places. Hitchhiking in northern Arizona around Flagstaff was fairly easy for me back around 2013, but similarly I have no idea what it's like now.

Please keep us updated!

Accurate AF dude... nothing's like it was 10 years ago. Shit has changed quite a bit. Do y'all notice it's fucking harder to get what you need spanging and flying too? Fuck man it's a bit rough right now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads