Glad to have found this community!

jess8921

Reaction score
Hi ✌️
I'm Jess 33 from south Alabama. Spent most of my life here until I moved to Tennessee in 2015. At the end of 2018 I lost my job, car, and house all within a two week period. For a few months I was able to crash in a friend's parents basement. During this time I was introduced to the homeless community. I was amazed at this underground network of people. I'm not sure if it's like this anywhere else but I pretty much always felt safe. These people grew to be my family.
Most of the time I enjoyed being home free, when I tell people this they look at me like I'm from another planet. Why I'm so excited I stumbled upon this community. I loved meeting knew people every day, it was always a new adventure. I never missed a meal and the majority of the time had what I needed. There were a couple of nights I was not prepared for the cold and that was not fun at all but I survived.
I moved back south a couple of years ago and have been lucky enough to have a roof over my head rent free. My roommates grandmother is the one that owns the place and she is having everyone evicted. So the Shieffs department came by this past Monday and gave us a verbal warning and said we had one week to get out. What happened to 30 days? Can they do that? I've tried researching Alabama laws on this but not coming up with anything. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
In the end if I do have to leave it would not be the end of the world but it would not be like before. I'm in a very small country town with no transportation. I will also have two pups by myside that I did not have before. Im getting nervous about what move to make next.
Hope to hear something soon👋

tiggyzars

Reaction score
heyy im tiggy, just turned 30 today actually lol

i’m in SC, so i understand the south for sure.

when i got evicted from my grandmas house a few years ago, i knew i had thirty days. but the cop showed up like 2 or 3 days after she told me i was getting kicked out with a signed document from the court saying i had 5 days to leave. it sucks ASS but i think i’m the end it’s up to the judge/court to decide. so yeah.. but really idk how the law works. maybe someone else will have a much clearer answer. lol

if u have nowhere to go, i am looking for a travel partner for when i leave SC here shortly (like less then 2 weeks from now) and start walking on I20 to go west to meet up with another person who is on this forum.

if u wanna tag along with me, ur more than welcome too. i’m pretty fucking queer so being out on the road (or as a female like u), it’s def scary. so i agree with u there, but don’t be scared. i believe u r being guided to a better place. allow it to take u there, where ever it is, or whoever is there with u.

and i know there are lots of ppl who would love it help u out with advice and stuff. some really cool ppl here for sure so reach out to any of us. i’m not as experienced like many here, but i’ve done a fair bit of vagabonding these last 4 years.

good luck fellow star particle

<3

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!

I was amazed at this underground network of people. I'm not sure if it's like this anywhere else but I pretty much always felt safe. These people grew to be my family.
Most of the time I enjoyed being home free, when I tell people this they look at me like I'm from another planet.

Same here. Different reasons to vagabond and different location (UK, I'm from Germany) but the about three years I did it were the best time of my life, basically.

Housed again since about five years now mostly because I need to care for my elderly parents. Having a job and living a more or less "normal" life again.

Still miss the streets, though.

In the end if I do have to leave it would not be the end of the world but it would not be like before.

Same for me. As said, missing the street really badly sometimes, but I know it would not be the same. Actually I'm glad that I did not have to deal with covid and the consequences (lockdown, etc) while on the streets, especially in a foureign country. And I'm getting older (49 now). Plus as I heard from friends I made in England which I still have contact with, the streets have changed. More homeless people, people in the community robbing each other, more drug addicts on the streets ... It all went downhill in the last years as I heard.

I still feel like part of the community by heart, but I don't think I will (if I don't have to) hit the road again like in those day.

Wish you all the best to stay housed. Unfortunately I don't have any clues about the laws in Alabama ...

Greetings from Germany!

Reactions: borek921

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads