Girls who travel by themselves

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

I only travel alone. I really don't like traveling with other people, for countless reasons. I don't ride trains alone, at all, I hitchhike, because I feel a lot safer alone in public then on a train or in a yard late at night. Also hitchhiking I go super fast and never have to worry about food or water. I will not get in a car with more then one male in it, and every once in a while someone will be creepy, but they stop when I'm assertive. I also will not ride alone in the back of a truck. I carry pepper spray, because with a knife or whatever there is always the risk that someone could grab it from you. I like the kind that I can clip to my belt loop. When I camp, I always try to stay totally hidden so no one can find me. The way I see it, I spot I see that seems good for camping will seem good to someone else who is looking, too, so I try to take it one step further and find spots no one would think to sleep in.

vdem1

Reaction score
Website
vdem1.tumblr.com
Traveled solo many years in my much younger days. I did pretty well, met a few creeps along the way but nothing I couldn't handle.

Just a brief bit of defense:
Best bet is taser gun (pepperspray can get on your hands and most ppl touch their face forgetting and that stings horribly). Strong taser can knock someone on their ass and you can ditch. Always have a backup or two (knives are easiest to acquire) and pretty damn easy to conceal.
Fully agree with the previous poster- dont get in a car with multiple males. If it's a solo driver or even a chick in the ride- if you get a bad feeling - stick with your gut- better safe than sorry
Any other advise I could give is just travelers in general- that's just my two cents on defense.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Kittymeowmix

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I traveled by myself of and over the years, last time was last summer.

Don't pull out your knife, someone will just take it from you and use it against you. If you get it out keep it hidden until you're actually ready to stab and run.

The safest thing to do while you sleep is hide really well.

If someone starts harassing you in a public place, be loud. Say "I don't know this man, his dick is out, everyone look!" If you act afraid or like a victim they will never go away.

If you get discovered camping alone or are getting harassed in a less public place, saying you are waiting for your boyfriend or make road dog can make em kick rocks.

Having a dog is helpful in deflecting some creeps.

Don't get too drunk, don't take drugs from strangers.

Tell anyone who picks you up hitchhiking you photographed their license plates and texted them to mom/freinds/whatever. Don't get in if you feel weird.

I think how you carry yourself accounts for 90% of not being victimized. I walked around alone in the 9th ward at night, I did west Baltimore alone half the time cause my ex was a drunken idiot. Just walk like you own that shit and keep your head up.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Don't pull out your knife, someone will just take it from you and use it against you.

I still think this is one of the most misleading myths in travel punk culture. I have never heard a confirmed story about this happening to anyone in nearly 20 years, and it perpetuates the myth that knives are useless as defensive weapons for women (i.e. you never hear stories of a knife being taken away from men and used on them in this context).

In my opinion women should absolutely carry the biggest knives available to them (and legal in their state) and make it known they can use them. I'm not saying you should go hitchhiking and introduce each ride to your knife first thing, but if things get weird, make sure you know how to use it, and make that clear to your assaulter, it's practically guaranteed to descalate a situation rather than escalate it.

Reactions: Persistence

Kittymeowmix

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I still think this is one of the most misleading myths in travel punk culture. I have never heard a confirmed story about this happening to anyone in nearly 20 years, and it perpetuates the myth that knives are useless as defensive weapons for women (i.e. you never hear stories of a knife being taken away from men and used on them in this context).

In my opinion women should absolutely carry the biggest knives available to them (and legal in their state) and make it known they can use them. I'm not saying you should go hitchhiking and introduce each ride to your knife first thing, but if things get weird, make sure you know how to use it, and make that clear to your assaulter, it's practically guaranteed to descalate a situation rather than escalate it.

I feel it's better to surprise a dude with a knife, instead of telling them you have it, but that's my opionion. The chances of anyone I know actually knowing how to use a knife I feel are pretty low. I guess really you should try to get out of a bad situation without using a weapon, or just stay out of that situation. That's the best plan. You don't have to agree but I feel my points are valid.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads