Getting my sh** together

Brianna

Reaction score
After my mom died while I was in college I totally felt like giving up
And that's exactly what I did
Not making any excuses because there are so many people who have it worse and are just lucky to be alive and I sat around winning about my mom..which is fair to people who actually have real problems...

In college I got a misdemeanor for failure to identify myself and I showed up for court and it got rescheduled then I failed to appear...I think I couldve found a ride but most people I asked were looking for sex in exchange for a ride so i made that my excuse as to why I couldn't make it..So I just squatted for a bit and was homeless for a while

That was four years ago
Currently...I'm relocating to Florida and I got a job opportunity for a interior design intern starting out with great pay...they ran a background check and thank God it didn't show up...think there is someone sending me some magic because I have no idea how I was able to turn it around and begin to have things look up for me..
I've got a relocating fee and now I'm trying to get a state ID in Arkansas...because I don't have a license...will I be arrested for trying to get a state ID If I have a warrant for failure to appear in TX?

My lawyer said he will charge me 1500 to start on my case and then another 1000, including the traveling fee. He said once I pay he can get the warrant removed but he's not sure if he can stand in for me at court or if I'll have to show up

Also if anyone has any advice on how to rebuild credit? Think I want to set up a monthly payment for all my delinquent accounts...if that's even possible or a good idea...I'm trying to do a total 180 here..I know but I would appreciate all the advice I can get...

Just a girl trying to get her life together

My name is Brianna
Forgive my grammar and spelling
I'm on my iPad
I'm 25 by the way lol
Take care guys :)

Reactions: Mankini and wizehop

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - one hellofanintro! And welcome. I have no input to your legal issues - however I do know the credit build up - yeah I have had paycheck garnished by school loans (they can be reallllly bad bastards) and yeah I was bad on bad checks and even though they were taken care of - you are tossed into the 7-10 yr checkx system so you are useless and can cash a check with a check cashing shop usually in a shitty side of town or in my case a dinky nasty restaurant in a building in the back from where I work. Ugh.

I just recently got my checking account back and am now rebuilding the credit again (fuk checkx). So I feel for ya. Bear with it and do NOT apply for any credit cards or anything that may check on your credit history - this also goes against you. Find a place to cash your checks, do not apply for credit and bear with it - it will take a while. I'm digging myself out of it. :)

Oh and welcome again!!!!

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

cultofsam

the messiah.
Reaction score
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
I have stupid misdemeanor warrants in four different states, unless you've been convicted they won't show up on a background check because of the whole innocent until proven guilty shit. They also will never extradite you or arrest you for anything that isn't a felony. USUALLY. One of my warrants is a failure to appear and I've had my name ran by the cops a 1000000000 times, I never even show up in the system and I've been to jail quite a few times. Usually warrant checks are state wide to the particular state you are in and of course felonies that are worth extraditing for, along with federal warrants. You can get an id no problem, nothing bad will come of it.

Reactions: Shinobi

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome, Brianna!

Sorry you're moving to Florida (I'm a FL native and this state is a shit hole) but glad to hear that you're getting your life together.

Good for you!

Like @Tude I have no advice about your legal problems, but wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your new job.

In Florida, a decent job is almost impossible to get.

Cheers! ::drinkingbuddy::

Reactions: Kal

lone wolf

Reaction score
you won't have any problems getting id, especially since it's a misdemeanor. it won't become a problem unless you go back to TX. i have a misdemeanor warrant in MI from 2003 and never had problem with ID or police running my name. Felony is a different story.

Brianna

Reaction score
You guys are so cool...I really appreciate your responses. I remember I got pulled over here in AR and when they ran my name nothing came up..but that's because I didn't have a Arkansas ID, I had a TX driver license. He gave me a warning and let me go...I just thought t would be different at a DMV..well actually here in Arkansas it's not even a DMV just a small little clerks building....I am just scared i will go to jail lol which is totally backwards I know...how can I be scared of that but didn't give my name when asked by police...even though it was non violent crime...I always think the failure to appear and the length of time will make the judges ruling worse...or who knows I have no idea how this legal thing works...my lawyer said he can try for something ajudification (probably spelled that wrong)

I have food stamps which I just got..but I think they will be terminated because I know I'm not allowed to use them in another state, so that sucks..

Also for my credit unfortunately I did try and apply for a credit card recently...which was my mistake because I was trying to build my credit back up that way..but actually heard there was a way to dispute most of my claims...I have to check the website out but it's worth a try...nothing I can do about my student loans but I can try and see if there is a payment plan of some sorts for credit cards and old electric bills and cable bills...which really sucks because my credit only has about 2 credit cards and 4 utility/cable bill disputes and my student loans..Ah no it has a repo of my car too :/

Think someone said if it's been close to seven years then don't worry about them..but I'm just going to pay them anyways and work on my school loans last
I think I'm not too old to where I can't rebuild my credit for a future home one day

Reactions: Mankini

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Good for you, Brianna...that's so admirable.

Just a piece of advice...if you have any way to carry or store food, run out your food stamps.

That way, you'll at least have food for your journey.

This sounds so sappy...but one of my biggest fears is having to go hungry, so just make sure and keep some food on you.

If your food stamps can't be transferred, leave those government vultures, nothing.

It's what they deserve. Help for the needy should come with no strings, attached.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Reactions: Kal and Mankini
K

Kim Chee

What about your Driver license though?? It doesn't show up when you go to renew it every 4-5 years?

DMV is going to be able to see all felony warrants in and out of state and all misdemeanors in state. If you have and out of state misdemeanor they will not be able to see that (it non-extraditable). Tread confidently, lawbreaker.

fyi: Felonies in and out of state are extraditable, misdemeanors out of state are not extraditable. Misdemeanor warrants in state (a different county) are extraditable, but may or may not not be acted on depending on the workload/offense(s)/usual practices of the county with the hold.

If you have a felony, they will likely send for you no matter where you are. Used to be it wasn't always so (depending on the felony and distance). I think things have tightened up a bit and it is or has become a thing of the past.

If you're traveling and committing felonies, be sure to get some penpals who travel to write to you when you get locked up. As for misdemeanors, it is part of the culture, have fun and be safe.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Quit payin that lawyer. Call the courthouse in TX and say you want to take care of your FTA. They'll probably tell you to show up in TX and turn yourself in. Bargain with them and see if they'll promise to let you just show up for court instead of immediately getting sent to jail. You might have to spend a couple days in jail but then once you show up for arraignment they'll probably set you a fine for the original charge and then let you loose. Petty misdemeanors don't usually result in anything besides fines.

Better than having something hanging over your head forever...its easy to forget a warrant and then get arrested 15 years later on a random traffic stop.

After 7 years your credit will renew. Don't do anything negative between now and then. Wait. Then reestablish your credit.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads