General Questions about staying safe on the road from other people | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

General Questions about staying safe on the road from other people

Thx

Reaction score
Well, it would be difficult for me to lend advice based on someone else's personal experience, right?

Look up: "Homeless man murdered under bridge," they must have thought it was pretty safe too...

From my experience, (since 1991 if we are comparing here) the safest place you can be is where it is difficult to even detect you, ie: camping out on the outskirts of town.

(I have also bivvy-camped in-town when I feel I have a really good spot, but that's only after being pretty familiar with an area.)

And you like abandoned houses too... I'm afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree here, camping in obvious places makes you less safe, not more safe.

Again, it's all good until the dice come up snake eyes...

Thx :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm not going to keep arguing with you about it just because you cherry picked one article from the internet.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to come here and disagree with you and encourage anyone reading this to take what you're saying with a grain of salt.

Thx

Reaction score
I don't actually recall saying someone couldn't.

And I am going to hold my point, no matter how many "disagrees" I get.

I have said, "I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree" and was going to leave it right there.

Now if you are including organized squats of abandoned buildings, that's different, I still wouldn't do it, but that's a different circumstance.

Thx

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I don't actually recall saying someone couldn't.

And I am going to hold my point, no matter how many "disagrees" I get.

I have said, "I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree" and was going to leave it right there.

Now if you are including organized squats of abandoned buildings, that's different, I still wouldn't do it, but that's a different circumstance.

Thx

are you one of those people that just has to have the last word?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
nope, just confirming something. please keep future posts on topic or you might receive a warning.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
I believe safety is in numbers. I never hitchhiked, hopped trains or camped alone.

Two years ago here in Redding, we had a group of 6 people who called themselves RAT PATROL. They would cruise Redding at night looking for a homeless person camping alone. They they would brutally beat them. Rumor was that they were teenagers who's parents were RPD officers. After this the homeless in Redding started camping together.

Des

Reaction score
I've been in a couple of rough spots but it mostly boils down to knowing when to bounce. The phrase I like to use is knowing when the party is over, leave an hour early. Now, not everything can be avoided, so a few tips. For everyone who doesn't have much experience in defense, mace or wasp spray (really, wasp spray will fuck someone up) can be your best friend. Attack joints. There's no such thing as a fair fight so if your pinned down, there's no shame in grabbing a finger and snapping it. Also, if your outmatched, there's no shame in running your ass away. I'm lucky cause I'm a stocky dude who wrestled in high school and had a couple years of MMA training afterwards. But for real, wasp spray, it can save your life.

Second on the wasp spray but would advise against breaking fingers. Its just pain compliance and doesnt really have any stopping power, especially if someone is intoxicated. Oblique kicks right to the knees are the way to go. That and elbows.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Second on the wasp spray but would advise against breaking fingers. Its just pain compliance and doesnt really have any stopping power, especially if someone is intoxicated. Oblique kicks right to the knees are the way to go. That and elbows.

As a black belt, I fully agree with you. Someone high or drunk as fuck ain't gonna feel shit as far wasp spray or even at times pepper spray. Taking out their way to stay standing is your best way of stopping your attacker. Here is a good lesson I can give you all against an attacker as to what I would do.

1. Stay Calm. Don't lose your temper. Look for an exit.

2. No exit. You want to be facing your attacker. As soon as they come in for the swing, the moment they draw their arm back, you want to do a Front Heal/Thrust Kick right into the knee. Let them fall. Then make your get away. I would say a front snap kick to the groin but if they are on something, the pain does not set in as fast as it can take for you to get away.

3. Anything is a weapon. Your pack. Your keys. A big rock in a sock. That is why its always good to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Don't have a lot of time to reply right now but ill mention two things.

Use your voice: When I was younger I was kinda quiet so when ever someone came at me aggressively being verbal I didn't know what to do, or I knew what to do but it would have felt to awkward for me back then so I would just punch the person in the face or instantly start the fight as soon as someone came up to me in a way that I thought was going to lead to a fight, this a lot of the time caught people by surprised too. But later on as I grew and got comfortable speaking and realised another technique, if someone is coming at you, you can use your voice to deter them, you can just let loose "FUCK YOU CUNT!! GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME BEFORE I SHOVE A FUCKING KNIFE IN YOUR THROAT CUNT!! YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!! DON'T EVEN FUCKING TALK TO ME!!" and when you do this look angry, be angry, get into it. Really though what is this? all animals do this in a way, this is the wolfs snarl, its the verbal warning. When doing this you should also use judgement on if its helpful for the situation or not, it can instantly defuse it or ignite it.

Understand Karma Is Real: What you do may come back at you, you can have a fight with someone and in two weeks, three months.. whatever.. you may bump into them again on the streets, but this time they could be with a group of friends. This has happen to me before, once even got chased out of a party an jumped by about 10 people for it. It can even happen just because of other people your hanging around with, once we had two car loads of people who where older then us at the time jump out an chase us down the street with machetes all because of a stupid drunken scuffle one of our friends had earlier that night.

Last edited:

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Don't have a lot of time to reply right now but ill mention two things.

Use your voice: When I was younger I was kinda quiet so when ever someone came at me aggressively being verbal I didn't know what to do, or I knew what to do but it would have felt to awkward for me back then so I would just punch the person in the face or instantly start the fight as soon as someone came up to me in a way that I thought was going to lead to a fight, this a lot of the time caught people by surprised too. But later on as I grew and got comfortable speaking and realised another technique, if someone is coming at you, you can use your voice to deter them, you can just let loose "FUCK YOU CUNT!! GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME BEFORE I SHOVE A FUCKING KNIFE IN YOUR THROAT CUNT!! YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!! DON'T EVEN FUCKING TALK TO ME!!" and when you do this look angry, be angry, get into it. Really though what is this? all animals do this in a way, this is the wolfs snarl, its the verbal warning. When doing this you should also use judgement on if its helpful for the situation or not, it can instantly defuse it or ignite it.

Understand Karma Is Real: What you do may come back at you, you can have a fight with someone and in two weeks, three months.. whatever.. you may bump into them again on the streets, but this time they could be with a group of friends. This has happen to me before, once even got chased out of a party an jumped by about 10 people for it. It can even happen just because of other people your hanging around with, once we had two car loads of people who where older then us at the time jump out an chase us down the street with machetes all because of a stupid drunken scuffle one of our friends had earlier that night.

The only fights you can win are the ones you can avoid. Though weather a person is high drunk or sober, sometimes you don't get that chance. And when you don't get that chance and you happen to kick the shit outta the other guy, nothing about fighting is fare. Yes they are gonna go get a few friends. As it goes, you bring your fist and they bring a knife. You get a knife and they get a gun.

Self defense is defending yourself when you had NO other choice to walk away. That other person is going to come at you no matter what warnings you give or telling him you don't want to fight. Being on the road, well shit, if thats what you have to do then hop or hitch out of town to avoid anything else.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The only fights you can win are the ones you can avoid. Though weather a person is high drunk or sober, sometimes you don't get that chance. And when you don't get that chance and you happen to kick the shit outta the other guy, nothing about fighting is fare. Yes they are gonna go get a few friends. As it goes, you bring your fist and they bring a knife. You get a knife and they get a gun.

Self defense is defending yourself when you had NO other choice to walk away. That other person is going to come at you no matter what warnings you give or telling him you don't want to fight. Being on the road, well shit, if thats what you have to do then hop or hitch out of town to avoid anything else.

Sorry didn't notice you had spoken to me, these days I just keep to myself for the most part and do my own thing, yes I enjoy talking with an meeting new people and have many friends, but if I hang around with people its normally for a day or so here an there, its not like I have a set group of friends who always hang out, I have a few close friends tho. When people do this there tends to be a lot less drama.

Last edited:

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Sorry didn't notice you had spoken to me, these days I just keep to myself for the most part and do my own thing, yes I enjoy talking with an meeting new people and have many friends, but if I hang around with people its normally for a day or so here an there, its not like I have a set group of friends who always hang out, I have a few close friends tho. When people do this there tends to be a lot less drama.

I hear you there. Back in the 90's I kept it close and small. There was 3-4 of us that stayed together. Ate out of dumpsters rather shoplift or steal. Didn't draw attention. I met so many great people who most I still talk to and see today. And you are right. Using good judgement and common sense will help you avoid most of any drama. Besides the bigfoot prank, we never drew much or any attention to us.

Reactions: WyldLyfe

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads