Fuck the suburbs

FuzzyStars

Reaction score
Been on this earth for 22 years but I've never really lived. Grew up in one of those gated community’s for the upper middle class in one of the safest places in north America.. I'm tired of living in the sterilized suburbs and associating with preppy douchebags. So much so that for the past 2 years I stopped going out entirely. I was to go out and travel Canada and the USA to see how the ''other side'' lives. Meet some cool people, see the world, and live life through a backpack.. I've got 3k saved up and some gear off amazon. Don't have any experience out there so this sites been my bible.

Reactions: BurnReno
D

Deleted member 125

fuck me running...ok yea byronmc is right, never tell people how much road steak you have...

great intro other then that you might make me sleep tonight knowing that ill be reading about you in the news within the next week for being beaten or killed for yer gear/bank fold.

keep a low profile, stay out of the pack mentality you may of seen that more people = better/cooler traveling people. and to be honest without being classist, ide avoid telling people you grew up in a gated community in upper middle class america. not because its not ok to have options (which im sure you have had) but because some of the people you may think look cool will take advantage of you because of yer "sterilized suburbs" background.

start small, take week trips to places you havnt been before. jumping into a life you know nothing about head first is a pretty sure fire way to get burned out quickly or get hurt. without sounding to threatening (and i dont mean to at all) the life you may think you want to experience is not the life you are used to. people are different under bridges, in train yards, on the street and some will not think twice about taking advantage of you. this isnt a warning or a threat its a promise, people are fucked everywhere, this culture included.

but ya know...have fun just dont be stupid, be safe!

cport420

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ideas. Have fun out there and be safe. Take a true friend. how you planning on getting around? Van or bike? hitching? If I had that money I'd get a nice van. A home anywhere you want it to be.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Welcome to the planet!

I second all of the advice on this thread so far.
Especially what Cantcure said.
Be smart and be mysterious! lol
No one needs to know about your background or your booty.
Not that where you come from is something to be ashamed of.
Certainly, no one gets to choose their family or what life they're born into.
But definitely because a lot of people, no matter how nice or welcoming, will judge you based upon that.
It's shitty when that happens but rest assured, there Are chill people on the road, too. And more of them from the same background as you, than you'd expect.
Safety-wise - some kids on the road are always in high alert mode. A lot of them always have an eye on how to come up on their next meal or jug, and sometimes that means stealing from anywhere and anyone they can.
Get a tazer, knife and foam/gel pepper spray (foam or gel won't get on you, just them) and be smart. Always know where your gear is and don't make the mistake of trusting a barely-known.

Amazon, ebay, this site and the library should be your best friends before you hit the road.
Learn all you can and make sure you Know you have all the gear you might need before heading out. You should check out some army surplus stores around you, too. They're replete with amazing gear for sometimes amazing prices.

Cport raises a good question, too.
You didn't mention how you plan on getting around?
Do you have any specific places in mind?

Reactions: ByronMc

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
3k? I didn't have the patience to save up that much. If I were you, I would travel short trips without the money and items of sentimental value. My first night on the streets with like $200 in my pocket, it all got spent FAST, mostly on booze, weed, and tobacco, but I'm good at that. I recommend putting that money in a savings account and collect a little interest so that you can land safe on your feet AFTER you travel. My first travel, I lost almost everything (even my passport), learned to deal without money (it's easier than you imagine now), and when I came back, my shoes were shot to hell and I had to work a week before I could afford new shoes (but I bought the best walking/running shoes I could get and they were a dream). Then I knew I didn't need all the fancy stuff to travel with I didn't NEED anything, but there are certain things I would bring because I knew what I want.
You can deal without the money. However, you might want to bring a small amount just to get used to things, $300 can buy me delicious meals and local transit fare for WEEKS (unless you're a smoker/drinker/smoker/etc [not worth it], or you see your dream guitar/skateboard for a bargain [worth it!]).

However, the stuff you have compiled into a pack may be essential so that you can see what to bring and what not to bring (again, don't bring items of sentimental value, somebody could lift your pack quicker than you think). Don't let your bag/stuff/guitar/skateboard out of your site! If you do, kiss it goodbye! If your pack is too heavy (that's normal when starting to backpack), you'll throw/give/stash things away just to make your back feel better. Plan on wearing your pack all day, every day. and pack it so you can sit on it, that way you have a nice seat/backrest/pillow (don't pack a laptop unless you want to break it, I find an iPod touch [or smartphone] is a great substitute).

Lastly, I've lived here 25 years and I realized that there isn't much of a difference between the damn yuppies and the damn hippies/punks (that everybody talks about). I get to hear both sides of it, and either way it just sounds like wining. upper class, middle class, lower class, who cares? That's all a story about OTHER people, worry about yourself. Those suburbs wouldn't be there for no reason. Fortunately, you're young and free enough to explore what you want. Do what you think is awesome, anywhere you can. If you're stepping on somebody's toes, get away from their toes, If somebody's stepping on your toes, get your toes away from them.

You'll see. Right on for taking a stand for yourself though.

Oh and yea, be very vague when you meet new people, it's fun to have a little mystery. If they ask, yeah, tell them. If they don't ask, then they might not want to know. If you tell them what they don't want to know, they'll shove it in your face and it'll stink when they do.

Reactions: straylouis

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads