Featured - From Zero to Sailor: A Quick Guide | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Featured From Zero to Sailor: A Quick Guide

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
@Dameon thanks for the inspiring share man! i have been researching doing similar things. i have talked to @CrowTheBard pretty extensively. but a first hand story from a second or third party is always a welcome and refreshing bit. im still a bit off from purchasing a vessel myself. having life happen and all... but still in the works for sure. thanks again, and keep us in the loop!! Godspeed.

Reactions: CrowTheBard

Shirma

Reaction score
I'm actually boatless at the moment, while I pursue land opportunities to make enough money to really get going internationally. My boat was an S2 8.0b, and I sailed it all around the San Francisco bay, which is huge, and some of the most challenging sailing in the world thanks to extremely strong currents, rapidly changing winds, and lots of rocks and other vessels. The hard part of sailing isn't the sailing itself, it's handling challenges and emergencies, and endurance, and learning how to live and work in small, tight quarters. The sailing itself, I could teach anybody in 30 minutes of hands on time.

thanks for the post! everyone i've talked to seems to think sailing is real difficult, but the more i read about it, the easier it seems.

what boat do you have and where have you sailed to? or are you still learning the ropes?

sailing is not that easy as you make out, if can teach in 30 minutes,the basics, maybe and i doubt it, you could explain theory side, still , man dont oversimplify things, sailing is an art and have many different aspects to it, and before you go offshore, for blue water sailing is better to have more exp then sailing in a bay with curents and some traffic in it, you got to be prepared quite seriously and have an understanding of sailing, your boat , yourself, and all the gear you have with you, sea is not a joke, respect her. sailing will take time, and you learn all youre life, speak to any old sailor and he will tell you that even after many years you learn new things all the time, so with your 30minutes school program i wouldnt trust to go on the water with you even on a lake let alone oceans, ppl spend many years to become skipper and or captains ,. watching youtube videos of other ppl doing it makes it look easy.
if you want to learn sailing go out to sea as much as possible on different boats and different ppl as from each you can learn different things and if someone tells you 'you can learn sailing in 30 minutes' know that person most likely doesint know shit about sea and sailing. get some books and read them to understand the maintenance and what it takes too have a seaworthy vessel, also before buying a boat you gotta know more or less what kind of sailing you want to do as it will make a difference what kind of boat youll want. before buying a boat sail as much as possible and speak with as many ppl who truly understands sailing before buying anything , otherwise youll just buy something that does not fit your needs, also before buyng show ppl who understands and ask for advice.
also if you can do some courses on navigation at least, it'll cost you i dunno pries in states even though you have pretty good cheap boats over there, it makes sense to get as much exp as you can , and is possible to get it for free try just crewing, sailors usualy like to teach others. if you have any questions just write me

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Once you know how to tack and how to gibe, you can sail a boat. There's a lot more to learn to be GOOD at it, and to be able to make an ocean passage, but that's why you spend time practicing and learning.

sailing is not that easy as you make out, if can teach in 30 minutes,the basics, maybe and i doubt it, you could explain theory side, still , man dont oversimplify things, sailing is an art and have many different aspects to it, and before you go offshore, for blue water sailing is better to have more exp then sailing in a bay with curents and some traffic in it, you got to be prepared quite seriously and have an understanding of sailing, your boat , yourself, and all the gear you have with you, sea is not a joke, respect her.

Didn't you read his whole post? He's literally saying the same thing as you....that there's a lot more to learn to get GOOD at sailing and be able to safely make an ocean passage.

Reactions: Dunedrifter

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads