For Sail

Trocchia

Reaction score
A-hoy!
Initially I found this website while searching for a community of like-minded adventurers, who have found their own personal enlightenment through experiential travel. As a first time poster, I assume an appropriate introduction is in order.
I am Trocchia, a 24 year old Anarchist, living on a 34" sailboat off of the U.S. East Coast. Having grown up in alternative 'communities' across the globe, I learned at an early age, a core set of humanitarian values which have dictated my decision to purchase a boat. Amidst a society riddled with debt-slavery and rampant political debauchery, I bought my own sailboat as a means to escape what I believe to be as the falsity of American home-ownership*.

Upon purchase the boat could have been considered to be in rough condition, but I saw opportunity in it and committed wholeheartedly. With the motivation of being self-sustainable and off the grid, I was able to restore the boat to its' original glory. After stripping the interior out, repainting and refinishing the fiberglass, re-rigging and re-wiring the entire boat and rebuilding an old Atomic-4 gasoline engine, it left port with the intention of being both my home and my ticket to personal freedom.

I'm glad to have found a network of such experienced and passionate vagabonds and would be happy to share any advice I have on living off the grid.
- Trocchia

*Loaning money to a potential U.S. home owner was a simple decision on behalf of early banking institutions, as they knew the indebted home-owner would never go on strike. Thus, by owning a home, what should be considered a private domain has inadvertently become 'personalized' prisons; existing as part of an econitarian system in which very few have created sweat equity off of low-income, indebted workers.

jkhumf.jpg

Prior to launch, hoisting the mast and re-rigging, this is when I purchased it.

Reactions: p4r4d0x and Drizzle

Trocchia

Reaction score
At the moment, near Beaufort, NC. Are you sailing or on a trade-ship? Glad to see another seadog on here. Where are you now?

sierra conley

Reaction score
Hey, Trocchia. Sweet boat you've got there.

I've been seriously trying to find a sailing apprenticeship to no avail.
You need some extra hands or could you point me in the right direction?
I'll be heading up to Maine soon. Hope to hear back from you.

sierra conley

Reaction score
Hey, I'll be sailing up the east coast this spring/summer. Where are you near?

You in need of any extra hands? I have zero sailing experience. I'm pretty fascinated with the thought it though. Quite a lot of daydreaming. Time to go sailing.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Also a new sailor here, planning/hoping to cross the Pacific in then next few years. Look for rad folks to sail around with. I'd totally meet up if relative near, but currently I'm settled in Canada. Except for summers -- where ye think ye might be next summer?

Trocchia

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. Been very busy over the last few months. The life of an anarco-sailor has been radical (pun intended).

A few words of advise to those interested in getting involved. Firstly, never stop researching boats. As a lifestyle, it simply makes sense; to be a home owner at the age of 24, with the ability to traverse and move with my home, makes owning a boat a blessing. Also, don't be afraid to tackle the unknown. Much of what I do to support myself comes from being at the right place at the right time. Between boat yards, marinas and various workshops, odd jobs often provide the best vocational training. I've managed to pick up many skills by working strange jobs around marinas, which have easily turned into profitable trade skills. Examples such as bright-works, bottom painting, basic electrical work, winterizing; all are skills which apply to owning your own vessel some day. Lastly, if you are truly looking to purchase a boat, head to nearby dry docks, ship-yards, etc. These areas often have vessels which have been neglected financially and repossessed by the marina; who are often looking to sell on the cheap.

Best of luck to you all. PM me if anyone has further questions.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
damn, you're doing what i hope to one day experience. how did you learn all those skills? i have no experience in electrical work, or boat repair, etc.... but i'm very interested in it all. whereabouts you thinkin of sailing first?

Trocchia

Reaction score
I have been touring the Carolinas and surrounding Isles; with the hope of someday, relocating via boat to the Mediterranean. As a child, I spent much time in Greece. Deep down, I have always dreamed of sailing the Greek isles, fishing every day, trading with island villagers.

In regard to the question posed about skills and requirements -- I had no idea what I was doing when I started. Of course, growing up in an organic farming community and exposure to a variety of cultures as a child has steered me in the right direction; to this date, I do not claim mastery of any given subject. I believe life is as simple as trial and error The digital information age has allowed us an ability; to instantly acquire knowledge about any subject at any time-- no longer is an individual required many years experience to begin new endeavors. Identify what resources are available in your life and ensure their use. By replacing practiced theory with experiential learning, anything can be started; let go of any fear of failure and you'll find that you have already succeeded.

Best Wishes,
Trocchia

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Mossy

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hey there, My name is Mandalin. It's very inspiring to read your story! I am really interested in starting to sail, rebuilding a ship, learning the sea. First though, I want to have experience on a boat, seems like that might help! : ) I am 'planning' on going down to Central America/ South America in the fall, Hopefully by sea with someone or a group of like minds. Plans are loose and open, always looking for knowledge. I planned on going to ports and looking for people who might need work exchange or finding people on websites like this. I am not sure if you have any inclination to head south the border, or have any useful info for me?

Namaste
Mossy Mandalin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My friend Ryan and myself just got a boat in Key West, but we're wondering if it's worth it to sail up the east coast to escape the dreadfully hot summers here. What's it like sailing up / down the way coast? What are some good spots to check out?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads