flip-flops are the best

ali

Reaction score
This is a post about flip-flops.

Throughout the years i have lived in places where these things were called jandals, thongs, chanclas, sandals and slippers, but something about calling them flip-flops is endearing.

There was a period when i was traveling light when i didn't bring flip-flops because i figured you can't really use them to walk long distances and if you're just chilling somewhere you're probably barefoot anyway so they're just wasted space in your pack, but i have since changed my mind.

In East Asia, or in fact any place where it is both reasonably warm and prone to rain a lot, you are much better off walking around in an open sandal that dries quickly than in any kind of boot or covered shoe. If you don't believe it, try walking around in your punk as fuck docs after just one tropical storm. I hope you enjoy days of miserable squelching and sores and stink. But put a flip-flop on your foot, you never need to worry about a puddle. Splish and splash and let the flood wash around your ankles. Before you know it the sun is back out and you're cheerily flipping and flopping your way down the road. Life is good when you have flip-flops.

Right up until you fucking slip on your ass because you are on some concrete or tile covered in rain and grease and your flip-flop has no grip.

Maybe one day it did have grip, but no longer.

Introducing the mother of all flip-flops.

flip-flop.jpg

On the left, an "American" (made in China) flip-flop. On the right, a "Taiwanese" (made in Indonesia) flip-flop.

After slipping on my ass for the goddamn millionth time last week, busting open my toes, and bleeding all over the floor of my nice white collar office space where i am currently employed, i resolved to buy a new fucking flip-flop. I found these ones on the right on the weekend and bought them, not expecting much. Literally the day after i buy them, epic torrential downpour. The kind of rain that soaks you to the bone within a couple seconds of getting out from shelter. The kind of rain you could wring out your clothes and fill your water bottle, if somehow it was still empty after the skies leaked the fucking Pacific on your head.

You guys. I did not slip. The flip-flops held. I did not need to walk like a penguin. I trod gingerly at first, but quickly found myself striding with confidence. It grips as good as my covered shoe, which is a Merrell Moab light trail runner. Am i gonna climb a mountain in these? Well, probably not, but who knows? Stay tuned.

🩴

Dmac

Reaction score
Why do the upside-down ones look bigger? Or do I need to recalibrate my eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: ali

Glass Roads

Reaction score
Those all seem like great perks of flip-flops, but I've never been able to walk in them without having them fly off my feet. It's Jesus sandals strapped to my foot for me. I feel like ya have to pinch your toes together slightly all day to rock flip-flops

Spazz

Reaction score
Yep, I just went back to them too. They do the trick for going into stores, don't take up a lot of room or a lot of time, and they're easy to keep clean, dry, and ready for the next store.

I tried conforming to the shoe mandate to look "less homeless" and only lasted two days before I pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve.

I also tried barefoot sandals and those expensive shoes with toes--I forget the name of them.

Nothing works as well as a cheap pair of flip flops.

Reactions: Anagor

Jerrell

Reaction score
Flip flops all the way. The slip tho...ugh. always catches me off guard. Like stepping onto clear ice.
That grip looks very yes. Just bought some leather flip flops in MX (made in MX?) and am now wondering if I should replace the rubber with something with better grip.

croc

Reaction score
In the summer I almost always travel w tevas. Great grip that's held up a few years worth of summers now even walking on ballast with a pack. Ppl try clownin on me for em bc I look mad dorky but I never have boot rot

ali

Reaction score
I just trialed hiking a decent way in these flip-flops, just with daypack nothing serious. A couple hours bike to trail head and back plus a couple hours on the trail, around 5 hours all up. Flip-flops work great for cycling, as i know because i use them every day for that. Much better than pedaling in bare feet. On the trail they were surprisingly good for uphill, but downhill was a lot tougher because all that extra weight is coming down on no support. I slipped in one spot and rolled my ankle, busted up my instep, nice blue bruise on there... but... i'm old and decrepit these days, probably would've slipped anyway.

Conclusion is i reckon these flip-flops with typhoon/rain-proof soles are pretty good all-purpose shoes. I'll still go back to my covered shoes for longer hikes or when i am carrying a lot of weight on my back, just for better support, but i'm pretty happy with this snazzy US$20 pair over the 1€ special. Way better than the US$20 slides and other more hip sandal type things i tried in the past, hoping that that thicker sole would support my weight better. (Maybe did support my weight better, but also they're big, don't fit into pack as easy and fall off your foot quicker than a real flip-flop. Ergo: flip-flops are the best. QED.)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I always wanted to try those flip-flop socks. In Japan they have a long tradition: Tabi - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

Yeah, that's true. Never had one pair of those, though. Actually, normal socks work fine for me as long as they are not really thick. And now in summer no need for them anyway. Last weeks I even rarely wore flip-flops, mostly barefoot ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads