Fishing without a rod | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Fishing without a rod

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Well why would you ask about legalities if your not bothering with a license. I really have no problem with well supported and respectful poaching. I hunt and fish minimally without a license for food.

I guess it's it's easier to get away with poaching than it is with poaching with illegal techniques

hiveranno

Reaction score
Get a small piece of board. Tie your line to one side of the board that would go to your hook n bait. The other side of the board, attach a wire through the board about in the middle but at the end of the board and tie your line to that. Need a river for the current to ski it out in.. Walk away from it and come back later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 347

Ranger

Reaction score
Never lived any place "bank lines" were legal but if your hungry and dont have a rod most times thats your best bet. Up here in Yukon its legal to"set line" for Burbot during the winter, its essentially bank lines but vertically through the ice. Just whatever bait you can scrounge, some strong cord attached to a 2 foot stick with a large hook and some sort of weight even a rock tied up. I can put 10 out at a time and have them out upto 30hrs, daily quota is 10 but posession is 20. Just waiting on everything to freeze up so I can start stocking the freezer! They allow the same technique in Alaska but only in the Yukon River drainage, big lakes here are fair game. Hand auger is good but it's super easy to make a DIY ice spud out of an old chisel attached to a stout walking staff/ shovel handle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmac

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I use a massive old screwdriver which I bought from a yard sale. Attached to this screwdriver I have about 10 yards of 30 Lb line (yeah overkill) and all along the last half of it I have multiple loops tied into it so I can tie on other lines, smaller lines. After unwinding all my line from the screwdriver I plant the screwdriver into the embankment and give the end section of the line a few backwards swings as I saw kids in Honduras once do, then let go at the right moment. I like pieces of slim Jim for bait since they hold up well in the water for a long time. I also prefer to fish at night. I swear the catfish bite more at night, and the wardens much less. The 30 Lb line has worked well. When it's got hung up I've been able to pull it free with a struggle and only loose a smaller line, not my main one. If you don't have a sinker, duct tape and a rock work well. Hooks are light and easy to pack if stored safely. However, I have found lots of tackle and lines by just beachcombing a riverbank or a fishing spot that looks popular. Tackle gets dropped and lines get caught in tree limbs all the time. One man's trash could be your key to dinner.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
I use a massive old screwdriver which I bought from a yard sale. Attached to this screwdriver I have about 10 yards of 30 Lb line (yeah overkill) and all along the last half of it I have multiple loops tied into it so I can tie on other lines, smaller lines. After unwinding all my line from the screwdriver I plant the screwdriver into the embankment and give the end section of the line a few backwards swings as I saw kids in Honduras once do, then let go at the right moment. I like pieces of slim Jim for bait since they hold up well in the water for a long time. I also prefer to fish at night. I swear the catfish bite more at night, and the wardens much less. The 30 Lb line has worked well. When it's got hung up I've been able to pull it free with a struggle and only loose a smaller line, not my main one. If you don't have a sinker, duct tape and a rock work well. Hooks are light and easy to pack if stored safely. However, I have found lots of tackle and lines by just beachcombing a riverbank or a fishing spot that looks popular. Tackle gets dropped and lines get caught in tree limbs all the time. One man's trash could be your key to dinner.

Screwdriver for rod?

Slim Jims for bait?

This guy is a confirmed HOBO fisherman. Pretty cool techniques.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin and outskirts

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Screwdriver for rod?

Slim Jims for bait?

This guy is a confirmed HOBO fisherman. Pretty cool techniques.
The screwdriver serves as a both something to store my line wrapped around, and as what keeps my line planted firmly into the bank after I've cast my line by hand. It's like having a hand fishing line tied to a tent stake that's planted in the ground. It ant going no where after I've cast.

Yes pieces of Slim Jim, the meat stick snacks, they work great for catfish bait. Because of their skin covering they stay on the hook well after being submerged a long time. The fish like them too.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
That's actually what I like about your bait idea, the fact that slim jimbs have that "plasticky" type of layer that will hold everything together.

Otherwise, if you have bait that won't stay on your line, you can ball it up inside of some thin cloth (t-shirt, pantyhose, etc), then knot it closed and thread it through your hook. Thats something I learned from catfishing in Alabama

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Great. Thread.

I was just at moms ::sour:: not long ago looking at my spools I removed from a couple fishing rods I broke down.... N stored.

Love the screw driver idea... N you can always say yer keeping the line as thread for sewing in yer pack? Worth a shot if some buster trys to grill ya.

Mmm camp catfish.

lone wolf

Reaction score
laws? what's all this talk about laws? laws are for the 9-5 slaves. if you're in a survival situation you fish, hunt and forage however you please... if you don't have the devil's dollar then you in a survival situation.

laws... lol

• Haha
Reactions: james22 and Odin

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I've caught plenty of fish using a promatory peg trigger fish trap. Just take some decent line. If no line make cordage out of vines, grasses, certain tree barks, etc. Improvise. You can even make a decent looking fly that would attract a fish.
Dave Canterbury, More Kochanski and others have a ton of vids on YouTube.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Useful
Reactions: Odin

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
One of the best traps to use in an emergency (in my opinion), is the floating duck trap.
I always have plenty of hooks with me.
Tie together sticks to make a tiny raft. Tie a rope to it and the secure it to a tree so it doesn't float away.
Find a rock heavy enough to drown a duck. Tie the rock to the raft and place near the edge. Tie a string with a baited hook to the rock- leave some slack and place the hook near the edge. When the bird swallows the hook and takes off it pulls the rock off drowning the bird. Pull in the raft and dinner.
Illegal way but a good if starving.

• Useful

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
  • Haha
Reactions: jaws

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I like using a gorge hook. The fish swallows the whole thing.

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Reaction score
this may be useless, but ive been hiking before with my dad, and the place was where people go camping on a regular basis. a flood had come through a few weeks before i guess. anyways there was some fishing line tangles up in a tree. it was a pain in the ass to un tangle it, but we were able to make a little pole with it, it already had the hook. bark was the bobber. i just laid on the edge of a big rock. the fish i caught was really little. my dad cut it up and used it for bait to try for another fish, but we got a snake. Dads also taught me to make hooks out of glass...not so easy...and cans and nails, wire. whatever.
but i keep a mini fishing kit in my backpack. its just a little pill bottle with a few yards of fishing line in it, a few weights, a little bobber, and 4 or 5 hooks. it weighs nothing. you just habe to put it together with a good stick.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Something I taught my nephew last year was how to make a fish funnel trap.
The one we made was just a 2 liter bottle that I cut the top 1/4 off and put it in the other part of the bottle upside down. Then we put some french fries (that he'd dropped a few days earlier in my car) for bait in the bottle. We gave it an hour or so and when we checked it, a couple small fish and a crawdad had wandered in for some fast food. We then had live bait to catch something bigger.

Google "fish funnel trap" and you'll see there's a lot of different types.

• Useful

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads