first post. first step. first trip. first adventure. Eager to combine Eagle Scout knowledge w/Life

Rocky

YT watcher
Reaction score
255-345 US-67, Crystal City, MO 63019, USA
I'm very impressed with the commitment here to good and honest sharing of experiences to help others. I'm planning to travel (i guess by myself) and "boondock" in my Buick Enclave. I plan to sleep under stars in a hammock (2 types that I have) as often as possible. I plan to sleep in the car if bad conditions. I plan to do some hiking and some longer term camping (over 3 days) where it is primitive, private, pretty and proper (legal).
Will start soon on new adventure after sale of home goes thru. I went on a short 1 month trial in March thru Nevada, Arizona, Utah. The only issue I discovered was the "loneliness" feeling when in camp a few days by myself, I was needing some human conversation or contact. There was no cell reception where I had gone. Interesting new self awareness observations revealed. I thought I would have liked or tolerated more the seclusion for it's grace and natural expression our world gives us without interference from distractions. Oh well, guess I'm not as secure with myself as I had thought.
Yet, I am very eager to repeat so to learn and overcome some fear I have of being "alone". One step at a time and with "friends" that are on here sharing, all good questions of mine will likely be answered straight forwardly and honestly....once I start generating them. We'll see as they say.

Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to STP. Try breaking a few laws here or there as legality is seldom always tied to morality & vice versa.

"Every journey starts with a single step, with the journey being the destination". The word "utopia' means no place/nowhere, so if you are searching for utopia; you have already arrived but to stay there; you must keep moving. Occasionally a transcendent equanimity evolves past movement, where utopian stillness can be had without any movement what so ever. By being alone with self and relying only on the universe/God/destiny/fate/luck to deliver what is needed, is when we recognize our utopian experience exists. Today, I can better be alone while not being lonely; that being said I have many in my life that love me, have loved me & are with me at my core always. I suggest forcing yourself to interact & experience that which is alien to you. Get out of your shell some by embracing the unknown & uncharted waters of humanity just as you are physically wandering. Know that we are all in our own unique yet similar shell. These recurring & ongoing "going with the flow" sort of vibe will keep everything fresh, give perspective & solve any social connections that are lacking. I myself volunteer & or set small destinations, do random stops & use Couchsurfing.com & Eventbrite.com to connect with others where ever I am. Try offering a rideshare to someone here on STP or Craigslist Rideshare section. I also go to gallery openings, lectures, open mic nights/free concerts, book signings, poetry readings, album release parties, I visit churches & take in architecture etc. While in the wilderness & open country I expect being alone so to counteract that I try to be part of when people are, where they are. I will actually go as far to crash hotel conventions to see if anyone will recognize that I do not belong. Most times in such events where everyone is a stranger, it goes unnoticed unless I stand out somehow. Many people who do not travel face the same lonely existence without the benefits of travel.

Your presence & experience may inspire others to follow in your free example. Seek people out where they are hiding & coax them out into the light some. Integrate yourself at will into preexisting communities where ever you are. I have learned that I am welcome, but out of fear/anxiety I introvert myself into solitude when the opposite is needed.

Be still when you are to be still. Be together when you are to be communal. Be moving when you are lost. Be grateful for it all.

Obviously, many would rather have a Buick. Congrats for not waiting for pre-utopia to prevent your travels. too many of us put conditions on our freedom. As soon as I get enough money, that RV/Van/Motorcycle or when all conditions are ideal. By simply getting going we see those expectations simply melt away & or find gratitude for what we do have rather than what we do not.
https://theliteratepen.com/2011/09/23/wouldnt-you-really-rather-have-a-buick/

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads