Fire Piston or Flint & Steel ??

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
One point that a fire-piston has up over a flint is that flint will eventually run out, meaning you either need to head back out of the woods (depending on how long of a stretch you are staying out for) or at the very least get another one.

actually, in my experience the fire piston's seal will degrade LONG before you burn through a decent sized firesteel.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I just carry a mag bar that the army gives out to their troops.Seems to work pretty well if you can keep the shavings from blowing off into the wind.Then i have a firesteel gobspark which has to be the best combo i have had in awhile.Costs only $20 and i have had it for a year and its still got plenty of life left in it.

Then my favorite using old spent lighters i find beside the road and making them into fire strikers their free and just about anywhere beside the road.I have found 6 of em so far.

Also i make my own fire starters which is just charcoal fluid and paper towels lol.Works like a champ.I also carry a pretty neat old lighter made in Germany which doubles as a camp lighter since you can take it out of the lighter itself and use it to light things.Costs i think $10 on ebay and are by far better then the damn zippo's i have had.I do carry a zippo but rarely ever count on it for anything though.

You can build your own fire pistons for $5-11 at your local hardware store.Just takes alot of time to get them right.Oh and i also carry char cloth made from old denim jeans.That crap is simply amazing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads